• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

daydream

Banned
What is a 'Dormie hole'? I guess it is when you can tie to win in match play, but what does it literally mean?

Dormie = one player has "a lead equal to the remaining number of holes" (Pink Toad)

According to Google, the etymology is unknown, but the obvious connection to the Latin/Italian 'dormire' (= to sleep; 'dormir' in French, Spanish) suggests that reaching a Dormie hole allows one player to lay back and relax. That was also my thought when I saw the term, but who knows where it comes from exactly.

The AI seems to take a huge hit when you go from Castle Club courses to the Mario Golf courses. Peach was terrible and Yoshi is even worse.

The greens aren't really any harder but I've seen them both blow multiple putts inside 10 feet.

Hmm, Peach got a hole in one when I played her a couple hours ago.

Robin64

Please tell me the "Extra" difficulty in the practice areas doesn't unlock anything. Getting the coins and being on target seems impossible! Heck, some of the coins are just plain too high!

Please tell me the "Extra" difficulty in the practice areas doesn't unlock anything. Getting the coins and being on target seems impossible! Heck, some of the coins are just plain too high!

As far as I can tell, it only unlocks the "Endless" versions of those minigames. At least, those were the only things that got unlocked when I beat them.

Which is why Robin's post confuses me:

Mii has reached star character status! After equipping the Cloud Mario costume my stats are as good as star Yoshi. If you haven't done so yet, do the training at the castle club to get some awesome costumes. shot practice gives you Bee Mario, approach practice gives you Cloud Mario, and I'm pretty sure putting practice gives you Boomerang Mario (I haven't beaten it yet. Stupid extra mode.)..

I didn't get any costume for beating any of the practice missions...

Please don't tell me that I have to get like 10/10 for putting practice Extra or something. I got 9/10 when I finally beat it. D:

Kouriozan

As far as I can tell, it only unlocks the "Endless" versions of those minigames. At least, those were the only things that got unlocked when I beat them.

Which is why Robin's post confuses me:

I didn't get any costume for beating any of the practice missions...

Please don't tell me that I have to get like 10/10 for putting practice Extra or something. I got 9/10 when I finally beat it. D:
Checking the requirements say that you need to beat infinite mode while reaching the target everytime.

Well I posted a -9 to the GAF Seaside tourney. Better than the -5 I posted to the Early Bird. Still crappy.

Had a pin shot on 17 that I thought would be an eagle but wasn't. :(

Velcro Fly

Oh my gosh the sun is coming up and I'm still playing this game.

But I just shot a -9 on the DKC course after restarting every time I didn't get the barrel on the first hole.

29 star coins right now!

Activity log shows 14 hours since Saturday.

Kouriozan

Oh my gosh the sun is coming up and I'm still playing this game.

But I just shot a -9 on the DKC course after restarting every time I didn't get the barrel on the first hole.

29 star coins right now!
Same for me, I mean, I'm so addicted.
Need to unlock those moon coins challenge!

When doing the approach challenges I'm getting 50 points usually but haven't gotten a single chip in. Are people generally getting chip ins on these challenges?

Kouriozan

Moon coins!?
Yep, notice how when you complete every star coins challenge of a course, you can see half of a star coin near the course's name.
The other half is for getting all the moon coins.
You need
90 star coins to unlock moon coins challenge,

Robin64

So I made a Google Doc which should help with making sure you are getting all the items from tournament. Based on the official schedule, it's in date order and allows you to tick off what you get.

American Version

European Version

The main difference between the two is simply the date format and a couple of names, but they're basically the same. You'll need to make a copy of the document into your own Google Docs space (or save the document as Excel I suppose), you can't just edit these ones.

Hope this is helpful to some people!

Checking the requirements say that you need to beat infinite mode while reaching the target everytime.

"Beat infinite mode"? That... doesn't make any sense.

In any case, the actual requirement is to complete at least 20 shots/approaches/putts in a row while playing Endless mode. You get 3 costumes that way. I just did all 3 (which were definitely tough).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

In any case, the actual requirement is to complete at least 20 shots/approaches/putts in a row while playing Endless mode. You get 3 costumes that way. I just did all 3 (which were definitely tough).

Is endless mode after extra mode? And does 20 in a row mean 20x50. Points, or 20x 10 (or more)?

That first star coin on shot practice looks impossible. Over a bunker and >200m out I can't carry it across there..

Kouriozan

Wait, it's really infinite? x)
There was a game before where infinite wasn't really infinite, so I assume that infinite mode has 20 targets, maybe it start over after that.

daydream

Banned
So I made a Google Doc which should help with making sure you are getting all the items from tournament. Based on the official schedule, it's in date order and allows you to tick off what you get.

American Version

European Version

The main difference between the two is simply the date format and a couple of names, but they're basically the same. You'll need to make a copy of the document into your own Google Docs space (or save the document as Excel I suppose), you can't just edit these ones.

Nice! Hope you don't mind if I incorporate them (and your Streetpass site) in the FAQ. :)

RoadDogg

American Version

European Version

Thank you for this! This is a huge help, I had no idea every single torny had an item to give away. I just thought it was a couple big ones every month. I really have my work cut out for me to not miss any of these.

Is endless mode after extra mode? And does 20 in a row mean 20x50. Points, or 20x 10 (or more)?

That first star coin on shot practice looks impossible. Over a bunker and >200m out I can't carry it across there..

You may want to upgrade your Mii before attempting Extra mode. And it's simply landing within the target 20 times in a row. The points don't matter, but your game immediately ends if you fail to land in the target.

Wait, it's really infinite? x)
There was a game before where infinite wasn't really infinite, so I assume that infinite mode has 20 targets, maybe it start over after that.

No, it's actually endless.

And I'm never gonna attempt that Cucco minigame again. <_>

Okamid3n

I just did a -21 with my mii, with a low drive that couldn't reach any par 4 in one. Only one missed shot.

I really need stronger gear for my mii...

Robin64

Feel free to use the banner on the FAQ if you like it.

Plus in future I can just paste this, which is sitting in a .txt file on my desktop:

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110573920&postcount=1749"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PpR4HGq.png[/IMG][/URL]

;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hole 19 on endless approach and it puts a massive tree right in front of me :( luckily I just get it on target, so I unlocked cloud mario. But he's rubbish :p - reduces my mii's range by 2. The one where you are right underneath a tree I still can't do cleanly, just cross my fingers

I ended up buying a few items and dressing my Mii in lots of control and sweet spot items, sacrificing range for power for those challenges.

Are any of the other endless unlocks decent?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There's no way to look at the full leaderboards for completed tournaments after the award ceremony? Boooo.

Someone will need to compile the full list when a tourney wraps up.

Robin64

There's no way to look at the full leaderboards for completed tournaments after the award ceremony? Boooo.

Someone will need to compile the full list when a tourney wraps up.

I almost did, but the notion of typing out 180 names and scores was a little... unappealing.

It's a shame they don't let you look back.

XiaNaphryz

I almost did, but the notion of typing out 180 names and scores was a little... unappealing.

It's a shame they don't let you look back.

Wouldn't be an issue if they let you take screenshots in the tournament score menus, but the Home menu is disabled in those screens. :(

BowieZ

Banned
Have I lost out on my free Mario Gold code if I didn't see it appear on screen after purchasing this? I must have missed it... :(

Robin64

Have I lost out on my free Mario Gold code if I didn't see it appear on screen after purchasing this? I must have missed it... :(

Nope.

Go to your account activity and look up the Mario Golf purchase. There should be a receipt button for it. Scroll all the way down and it should be listed there under "Mario Golf GBC" with the code.

Timeaisis

I kind of feel like I'm getting worse at this game every time I play it.

Has someone figured out what the yellow triangle at the hole actually means? First, I thought it was just your yardage in an ideal situation. Then, someone told me it's like position of the ball after accounting for terrain + rolling. Now, I'm just damn confused.

daydream

Banned

Has someone figured out what the yellow triangle at the hole actually means? First, I thought it was just your yardage in an ideal situation. Then, someone told me it's like position of the ball after accounting for terrain + rolling. Now, I'm just damn confused.

Isn't it just a marker for the middle/central point of the grid that's highlighting the terrain? That's what I always thought.

Kouriozan

It's where the ball should be if there is no wind/slope, Toad tell that in the training anyway.

BowieZ

Banned
Nope.

Go to your account activity and look up the Mario Golf purchase. There should be a receipt button for it. Scroll all the way down and it should be listed there under "Mario Golf GBC" with the code.
Ahh thanks! PS I checked my receipt, but it turns out there are two receipts, it was in the second one...(?)

Timeaisis

It's where the ball should be if there is no wind/slope, Toad tell that in the training anyway.

So, like I should ignore it? I mean, I get that it's like how far the ball would go, but I still don't get if it's accounting for terrain after contact with the ground or not. From my playing yesterday, it seems like I'm a better player if I just pay attention to the arc and then account for wind and slope (of the destination) on my own. The arc already accounts for if my position is sloped I think.

Teggy

It's the expected stopping point of the ball solely based on the landing point and the club you are using. It doesn't take into consideration elevation, spin, wind, slope or anything else. Just use it as a basic guide for where the ball is going to wind up, but otherwise make sure you are considering all the other factors about where the ball will actually end up.

Kouriozan

So, like I should ignore it? I mean, I get that it's like how far the ball would go, but I still don't get if it's accounting for terrain after contact with the ground or not. From my playing yesterday, it seems like I'm a better player if I just pay attention to the arc and then account for wind and slope (of the destination) on my own. The arc already accounts for if my position is sloped I think.
Yep, I ignore it most of the time too.
Just to know if the marker is far away from the landing point mean your ball is going to roll a lot.

I thought I was pretty good at putting, then I tried intermediate putting practice... >.<
Still manageable but I fear for the later difficulties.

lt519

Posted a top 10 (I think -13) on my first try last night in the Seaside GAF tourney. Going to try and improve tonight but I was putting like a maniac and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to top it.

People posting better than that: are you using star chacaters? I've been sticking to my Mii.

XiaNaphryz

It's the expected stopping point of the ball solely based on the landing point and the club you are using. It doesn't take into consideration elevation, spin, wind, slope or anything else. Just use it as a basic guide for where the ball is going to wind up, but otherwise make sure you are considering all the other factors about where the ball will actually end up.

Yeah, the main thing to use it for is to gauge how far away it is from the landing point. If they're close together, it means there probably won't be much roll on a standard shot. If they're far apart, it means you can expect a lot of roll after it lands on a standard shot. You'll still have to consider all the other factors, it's just another piece of information - i.e. if it looks like there will be a lot of roll, I may consider a high shot with backspin to stop the ball closer to my landing point. You still have to adjust for all the other factors of course mentioned.

Top Bottom