• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

I wonder why you can't set the AI to be Gold Mario? I can understand Mii, I guess, but kind of weird you can't do Gold Mario as AI.

Everything about Gold Mario feels weirdly half assed in a game that's incredibly polished. They couldn't even put a metal mario-esque voice filter on him :/

Grizzo

Just saw the results for the Early Bird Tournament and well... woah all I can say is I'm really bad haha.

Seriously, -26 for the first place is awesome, congratulations. I don't think I'm cut out for online mode just yet, I'm gonna refrain from taking part in future tournaments for now!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I almost did, but the notion of typing out 180 names and scores was a little... unappealing.

It's a shame they don't let you look back.

Maybe just record the top 30 or something like that? Considering how many people enter, only being able to check the top 3 is too limiting.

Robin64

Just saw the results for the Early Bird Tournament and well... woah all I can say is I'm really bad haha.

Seriously, -26 for the first place is awesome, congratulations. I don't think I'm cut out for online mode just yet, I'm gonna refrain from taking part in future tournaments for now!

You should take part anyway regardless of where you come. For one things, it's just fun, but even more importantly, you get coins!

lt519

Maybe just record the top 30 or something like that? Considering how many people enter, only being able to check the top 3 is too limiting.

Yeah! I want my recognition!
But really don't waste your time typing it all out.

Have we considered a league? Essentially Fed Ex Cup style points for placing in official GAF tournaments? It'd be a ton of work for someone, but I guess we could all pitch in.

Grizzo

You should take part anyway regardless of where you come. For one things, it's just fun, but even more importantly, you get coins!

Yeah I just saw that! My rank was awful but I still did get 540 coins for that, so I can only imagine how much the winner must have won!

You're right that it's just a game, better luck next time. I still need to win the Moutain Course first.

Have we considered a league? Essentially Fed Ex Cup style points for placing in official GAF tournaments? It'd be a ton of work for someone, but I guess we could all pitch in.
I have for a while now, but I want people to have a bit more time with the game first. I also want a good idea of how many participants we're going to get in these tourneys.

But mainly yeah, it's a little too early to be doing that sort of thing. Expect it in a couple weeks though.

lt519

Yeah I just saw that! My rank was awful but I still did get 540 coins for that, so I can only imagine how much the winner must have won!

You're right that it's just a game, better luck next time. I still need to win the Moutain Course first.

I nabbed I think 3330 coins for -18 under, which I think was like T-19 place but I was one of the last to do it so 22 or something like that.

Keep practicing putting! Once you can make most 20-30 footers the game gets much easier!

Grizzo

I nabbed I think 3330 coins for -18 under, which I think was like T-19 place but I was one of the last to do it so 22 or something like that.

Keep practicing putting! Once you can make most 20-30 footers the game gets much easier!

You're right, I still have trouble figuring out how to master the putting. Especially when there is a slope. Once I can do that with ease i'm gonna be just fine.

Still loving the game though! I'm not terrible, I just know that I can do better. I wish there was a way to practice the hole of your choice!

lt519

You're right, I still have trouble figuring out how to master the putting. Especially when there is a slope. Once I can do that with ease i'm gonna be just fine.

Still loving the game though! I'm not terrible, I just know that I can do better. I wish there was a way to practice the hole of your choice!

One tip I have is that breaks are always harder going downhill than they are uphill. So if you have a green sloped to the left but uphill it will break less than if it were going downhill. Pay attention to the color of the grid, if it is white it is less of a slope than if it is blue. The longer the put the more it'll break.

i.e. if you have an uphill 15 foot putt with a left to right break, aim at the left edge of the cup and hit past the power marker the game gives you. For the same putt downhill aim maybe a ball to half of a ball left of the left edge of the cup and hit to the power the marker the game shows you.

Kouriozan

Anyone currently on track to get a gold trophy for Worldwide Tournament #1? I'm at bronze at the moment.
I'm at gold trophy, score : -15 and 715th
Edit : oh, I can take a miiverse screenshot, wait a little...

There :
DoUj78l.jpg

Robin64

Interestingly, if I scroll up from having bronze, before skipping to show the top 10 or so people it shows the lowest person with a silver. Lets you know what you need to get to qualify. Very cool!

multivac

Got the game yesterday, absolutely love it. Problem is, I can BARELY see the prediction lines and ball landing spot animation sometimes on such a small screen. Has anyone played on a regular 3DS and a 3DS XL who can tell if the big screen makes an appreciable difference? Cause then I might have to buy an XL :)

On that note, does the Season Pass associate with your Nintendo Network account or your console?

Kouriozan

Going back to the European tournaments to get the gold trophy, ended up 13th in the point tournament, woot!
Still the stroke play tournament left to do.

Yasawas

I'm not good with names and I don't listen to game soundtracks in real life but I knew I recognised the composer from somewhere when I saw the credits, it's only Dark Souls! And he's done a ton of great shit dating back to the 80s. That someone can be so prolific and versatile and good is kind of mind-blowing.

Enron

Banned
Tore through the Low Handicap and Course Championships on the Forest Course, got my handicap down to 0. Scratch golf here I come!

Kouriozan

I'm not good with names and I don't listen to game soundtracks in real life but I knew I recognised the composer from somewhere when I saw the credits, it's only Dark Souls! And he's done a ton of great shit dating back to the 80s. That someone can be so prolific and versatile and good is kind of mind-blowing.
That's Motoi Sakuraba for you, he compose the musics for tons of JRPG, you might recognize his style while playing Star Ocean, Baten Kaitos, Tales of and even Golden Sun!

Got this game last friday, but still haven't found time to play it a lot. I used to play Toadstool Tour, so I already know the basics, but still, I'm quite rusty haha. Getting mostly pars, with the ocasionall birdie.

That's Motoi Sakuraba for you, he compose the musics for tons of JRPG, you might recognize his style while playing Star Ocean, Baten Kaitos, Tales of and even Golden Sun!

Motoi Sakuraba is one of the most recognizable video game composers ever!

lewisgone

The Game Boy gear is indeed tied to a tournament that is set to expire. However, we simply don't know at this point if the gear will crop up to win again in later tournaments or not. Personally, I am guessing it will.

Thanks for this help yesterday. Hopefully you're right and gear reappears after a while, that would make sense and seems likely.

I ended up buying the game! It should be arriving on Wednesday. Hopefully I can start joining in on GAF competitions, even though I'm pretty bad at Mario Golf (I'm happy just to get birdies).

Robin64

Thanks for this help yesterday. Hopefully you're right and gear reappears after a while, that would make sense and seems likely.

I ended up buying the game! It should be arriving on Wednesday. Hopefully I can start joining in on GAF competitions, even though I'm pretty bad at Mario Golf (I'm happy just to get birdies).

Not sure if you've seen it, but I've put together a tournament schedule checklist which you might find useful. EU and US.

Anustart

Alright, I grabbed this. How do I do this gaf tournament? If it's still going on (probably not)

Just add that community code in the OP?

Kinsei

Banned
Noooo. I was so close to getting the awesome Piranha Plan Costume, but I was off by 20 coins. It looks so awesome too.

Kinsei

Banned

For hitting the ball far enough here is my general rule.

Close: For regular and downhill I go half a bar over the arrow and for uphill I go a full bar to a bar and a half over depending on how far away the hole is.

Medium: For regular I go just barely over the line, for downhill I match the arrow, and for uphill I go half a bar to a full bar depending on how far the hole is.

Long: I only use this in the rain and on Cheep Cheep Lagoon. I generally go a full bar past the arrow.

lt519

I'd warn against rain too, slows the ball down.

Basically just slam it home and be aware that the different putter lengths have different margins for error. I typically place the arrow even with the cup and just got past barely on the long putter, a decent amount on the medium putter, and a ton on the short putter for uphill puts. For downhill puts I typically just hit it at the marker when its even with the hole, if I miss long my 10 feet no matter the 10 foot uphill puts are the easiest in the game.

I'd warn against rain too, slows the ball down.

Basically just slam it home and be aware that the different putter lengths have different margins for error. I typically place the arrow even with the cup and just got past barely on the long putter, a decent amount on the medium putter, and a ton on the short putter for uphill puts. For downhill puts I typically just hit it at the marker when its even with the hole, if I miss long my 10 feet no matter the 10 foot uphill puts are the easiest in the game.

I gotta start taking take rain into effect when putting. I totally forget that it slows the greens down and end up under hitting with my power.

So frustrating!

Robin64

Worldwide Tournament #1 has so many holes in the rain. It's rather annoying. Still can't get higher than bronze. :\

lewisgone

Not sure if you've seen it, but I've put together a tournament schedule checklist which you might find useful. EU and US.

Oh, that's really useful, thanks. Looks like I still have time to get that sweet, sweet Game Boy gear. Looking forward to online multiplayer, should give the game a lot of longevity.

Kouriozan

Phew, I did it! Unlocked those moon coins challenge!

zlCfzR5HJb8DVLSc-B

zlCfzR5HOkgZ151KlQ

Warning, they are super mega hard on easy courses, I fear to try them on harder ones.
Also it unlocked semi-pro difficulty for CPU.

I already clocked 30 hours in this game 0_o

Robin64

Do we yet know what getting all the moon coins gets?

Given normal challenges in this are rock hard, I doubt I ever will!

Top Bottom