• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Kinsei

Banned
A quick question to everyone without the season pass. Have you gotten the Gold Mario club? I just unlocked it and I'm wondering if you need the season pass for it or not.

I got the Gold Mario club and Gold Mario ball before buying the season pass. The Mii items are not related to the season pass in any way. For example, I have the Nabbit clubs but Nabbit isn't out yet.

depward

Wondering (and maybe I'm not far enough into the game):

When I hit a manual shot, I see inputs on the sides of the bottom screen such as "BA = something, BB = something", etc.

Coming from Hot Shots, I assumed holding up during power and then down during aim would do a "super backspin." Is this not the case? How do I do a "BB" shot when I can't start or set the power with the B button...?

Did all of the tutorials and still don't understand what this is trying to tell me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wondering (and maybe I'm not far enough into the game):

When I hit a manual shot, I see inputs on the sides of the bottom screen such as "BA = something, BB = something", etc.

Coming from Hot Shots, I assumed holding up during power and then down during aim would do a "super backspin." Is this not the case? How do I do a "BB" shot when I can't start or set the power with the B button...?

Did all of the tutorials and still don't understand what this is trying to tell me.

The button combo is when the bar is coming back down.

So you do A, then A at the peak, then BB when it comes back to the sweet spot.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
That was my first hole in one! I find holes 5 and 7 to be the hardest of the front 9.

I don't recall 5 being all that hard. 4 used to ruin me, but I don't think I've hit farther than 1.5m from the hole in awhile. 7 gave me trouble because it was the only one that would have the ball roll more than a few meters on landing. It almost always had a crosswind that would mess things up if I tried to use a backspin to stop the ball.

Oddly enough, I think hole 4 was my first hole in one as well.

depward

The button combo is when the bar is coming back down.

So you do A, then A at the peak, then BB when it comes back to the sweet spot.

Interesting. Read about it in the digital instruction manual and I was thinking this was the case. I'll have to give it a go when I fire the game back up.

Thanks

duck_sauce

I'm very, very hyped for this game and I do not even know why. I was never good at golf games and my only attempts are with Tiger Woods 10 (which went horribly wrong and set my gaming ego back at least 10 years).
I'm really hoping for that Nintendo touch to make the game charming and fun. It worked with Mario Kart so many times. I don't like racing games but I loooove Mario Kart.

Salsa

I'm very, very hyped for this game and I do not even know why. I was never good at golf games and my only attempts are with Tiger Woods 10 (which went horribly wrong and set my gaming ego back at least 10 years).
I'm really hoping for that Nintendo touch to make the game charming and fun. It worked with Mario Kart so many times. I don't like racing games but I loooove Mario Kart.

game is out bro

On one shot/putt? Hell no 5 isn't harder.

Huh? 4 is easy. Just aim for the left side of the green.

5 is dumb because you can easily hit the ball into one of the steep inclines and make putting nearly impossible at certain angles. However, hitting it to the middle-right of the green makes it likely that your ball won't land in one of the inclines, so it's not all that bad once you get it down.

7 gave me a lot of trouble until I noticed that I was using a driver to hit the ball. Since those give long rolls when the ball hits the ground, I found aiming for the front of the green made the ball almost always end up near the hole.

Using the above strategies, I am able to get through the front 9 rather reliably now. I even beat both Star Coin challenges with no difficulty (2 tries for the one-on, one-putt challenge, and only 1 try for the Score Attack challenge).

Hole 4 gave me a couple of hole-in-ones as well lol.

Ugh, my putting sucks. I'm constantly either overcompensating or under-compensating. Can't seem to get it down correctly.

Oh, I participated in the GAF Beach Trip tournament yesterday and some of your scores are insane! What was the highest one? Like -22? How did you guys even manage that?

A quick question about the online tournaments in the Castle Club. Do trophies display for you before the tournament ends? I heard about people getting bronze trophies and such, but since the tournaments haven't ended I'm really confused about that.

Huh? 4 is easy. Just aim for the left side of the green.

5 is dumb because you can easily hit the ball into one of the steep inclines and make putting nearly impossible at certain angles. However, hitting it to the middle-right of the green makes it likely that your ball won't land in one of the inclines, so it's not all that bad once you get it down.

7 gave me a lot of trouble until I noticed that I was using a driver to hit the ball. Since those give long rolls when the ball hits the ground, I found aiming for the front of the green made the ball almost always end up near the hole.

Using the above strategies, I am able to get through the front 9 rather reliably now. I even beat both Star Coin challenges with no difficulty (2 tries for the one-on, one-putt challenge, and only 1 try for the Score Attack challenge).

Hole 4 gave me a couple of hole-in-ones as well lol.

Note to self: ignore this Hole 4 advice. I tried what you said, and it made putting even more awkward. :|

A quick question about the online tournaments in the Castle Club. Do trophies display for you before the tournament ends? I heard about people getting bronze trophies and such, but since the tournaments haven't ended I'm really confused about that.
When you check your standings it gives you your current trophy.

Going by the Japanese site the first 10% get gold, the next 20% get silver, and the next 30% get bronze. So when it says you need to get top 60% in one of a few specific tourneys to qualify for the Castle Tournament, it's saying you need to get a trophy to qualify.

Jasconius

Ugh endless shot practice is annoying... it's really not even that hard but one slightly early/late tap on the wrong shot and it's time to start over! Got to 17 on my first attempt but I feel like I'm getting worse each try now (frustration...)

Approach practice was super easy though - got through everything first try~

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh endless shot practice is annoying... it's really not even that hard but one slightly early/late tap on the wrong shot and it's time to start over! Got to 17 on my first attempt but I feel like I'm getting worse each try now (frustration...)

Pretty much exactly how one-on/one-putt tends to go for me. Been trying to clear the 18 hole version. First attempt got to hole 17. Only made it past the front 9 once in the next dozen attempts.

When you check your standings it gives you your current trophy.

Going by the Japanese site the first 10% get gold, the next 20% get silver, and the next 30% get bronze. So when it says you need to get top 60% in one of a few specific tourneys to qualify for the Castle Tournament, it's saying you need to get a trophy to qualify.

Odd, I don't see anything.

I mean, I have -18 for Americas Tournament 1, so I thought that would at least be worth a bronze. Do I have to score even better than that?

Note to self: ignore this Hole 4 advice. I tried what you said, and it made putting even more awkward. :|

I always get a straight shot to the hole when I aim for the left side. *shrug*

Robin64

I mean, I have -18 for Americas Tournament 1, so I thought that would at least be worth a bronze. Do I have to score even better than that?

Really? I mean, even at -4 for European Tournament 1, I was on track to get a bronze...

Guess I've improved a bit. When I first started the game yesterday, I scored -2 in the World Tournament. Today, when I tried the World Tourney again, I scored -12, netting a silver trophy if it holds up.

Enjoying the game very much.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

I think the bottom of the gold range is somewhere in the -15's at 550ish place so at the least you are good for now. I expect it'll probably hold up.

Interesting to note that the top position is only at a -24 compared to the -26 we had in the GAF tournament.

Robin64

I think the bottom of the gold range is somewhere in the -15's at 550ish place so at the least you are good for now. I expect it'll probably hold up.

Interesting to note that the top position is only at a -24 compared to the -26 we had in the GAF tournament.

Well the GAF version of that course went from the front tees while the Worldwide one doesn't. Plus I think the wind in the Worldwide is stronger.

Oh, wow. I derped hard. I didn't know there was a way to actually check the leaderboards. Up until now, I thought that everyone's place in the tournament would be a secret until the awards' ceremony. >_<

Robin64

How do you unlock more golf balls? All I seem to unlock in single player is gear and clubs.

At first I was just getting gear and clubs too, but after a while they started putting golf balls in the mix. Just play more game, I guess, no real special way to get what you want.

Cairnsay

Banned
At first I was just getting gear and clubs too, but after a while they started putting golf balls in the mix. Just play more game, I guess, no real special way to get what you want.

Yeah, after playing pretty solidly all weekend, it wasn't till Monday when I started getting golf balls as unlocks, having said that once I started getting them it was all balls, all the time for a while...

Velcro Fly

Didn't play at all yesterday.

Have a job interview this morning and then I have to vote but then it will be time to grind out a decent score in the GAF Seaside tourney.

octopiggy

Got a day off work today so planning on catching up with some of you guys. So far I've got all the secret characters, all star characters apart from Bowser and Diddy and collected all challenge star coins up to Bowser's Castle.
Really enjoying it. So much to do, so addictive and absolutely charming. Those birdie/par etc. celebrations are so full of character. It doesn't just feel like a golf game with Mario characters added.
Does everyone else have way more coins than they need? Or is there something else to spend them on?

just played a bit of this for the first time last night. was kind of irritated with all of the walking around the clubhouse and talking to people. just wanted to golf haha. anyway, how do i go about unlocking all of the courses (club castle and mario) so that i can play any of them that i want in mario golf mode?

daydream

Banned
just played a bit of this for the first time last night. was kind of irritated with all of the walking around the clubhouse and talking to people. just wanted to golf haha. anyway, how do i go about unlocking all of the courses (club castle and mario) so that i can play any of them that i want in mario golf mode?

Mario Golf > Single Player > Challenges is where you want to head.

Also, for a new page:

-18 in first run of the Beach Trip tourney, I'll take it! Right at the #10 spot. It's crazy to see some of these -24 scores and better in some tournaments!

Now that some of you have spent some good time with it. Can you summarize what the game is for me?

I never played TT on Gamecube.

Mario Golf 64 had little bonus things to supplement it but a good golf game in a 3D world was enough to draw you in in the 90s.

Mario Golf Advance was as advertised on the box Role Playing Golf.
I played it a ton. But looking back it was bloated. It had to of confused and discouraged some more novice people.

Probably why they went more streamline from what I see.

What it really comes down to me is how is the difficulty?
Advance had a few trip up sweating it out challenges but it was overall too easy. Anyone with savvy knew to dump points into driver distance and from what I remember I was killing the competition as you got deeper in the game not more difficult. It was cool to see all the crew for the final tourney but the round of golf was anti-climatic.

Is the game padded with a good difficulty curve or is it just a matter of grinding out doing simple tasks on top of a re-skinned background that was most of Golf Advance?

What I am hearing that interests me the most is the ring challenges. That part of Mario Golf 64 still sticks with me as requiring finesse to clear those.

Is that the meat of the depth of the single player challenges or is there some more good remixes to make playing the courses new again?

Are these scores only achievable using a star player or a very well equipped Mii with a huge swinging D
rive
?

I played with my Mii, he is driving 240 right now. Much higher than the starting stats, but not something too crazy. Formula for me is, keep it in the fairway, get on with a birdie chance less than ~15 feet, make birdie. Make an eagle here or there, but mostly just consistent birdies

mrklaw

MrArseFace

nah, hated approach practice, and endless mode especially - they come up randomly, and there are a couple with trees right in front that mess you up easily - especially the one with you under a tree

Grizzo

Do we know if there's gonna be any new DLC someday? I'd love for the Mini-Golf of Mario Golf 64 to make a comeback...

Berordn

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I've been messing around with the demo a bit and kind of like it except for how awful it is at explaining anything - which I kind of expect because it's a demo. Does Castle Club help teach you at all, or does it still leave you to figure everything out?

Robin64

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I've been messing around with the demo a bit and kind of like it except for how awful it is at explaining anything - which I kind of expect because it's a demo. Does Castle Club help teach you at all, or does it still leave you to figure everything out?

The game actually opens up with an unskippable tutorial.

Mario Golf > Single Player > Challenges is where you want to head.

Also, for a new page:

thanks for the reply. what is earned by going through all of the club castle stuff (establishing handicap, doing tournaments in there, etc...)? just want to make sure i unlock all of the available courses in the game :p

octopiggy

Holy shit! Just did the dlc coin rush. I got 11,000 coins! What are you supposed to do with that?!

There are practice lessons at the Castle Club. I thought they were pretty useful. The last Mario Golf game I played was 64 which I ended up giving up on because my shots weren't going where I thought they would. I feel like I understand why the ball moves the way it does in this game.

Timeaisis

Just want to chime in to say that the practice stuff in the Castle Club was really helpful to me. I just did the first one and I've really improved reading terrain and getting closer on my approaches. I can almost birdie every hole consistently now on the first couple courses. :)

Of course, Bowser's Caslte is still like impossible for me to do better than a -2, but hey.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, it just bounces a little, loses momentum and plops right back into the water. Same for you, I'm guessing?

Yes. There was one Ice Flower challenge on Seaside course where you didn't need the item, at all, so I'm trying to do it without it, but the rough patches make it difficult to approach the coin without spending a lot of shots.

Top Bottom