• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Kinsei

Banned
Wondering this also. They didn't really think Ice Flower through, did they?

Instead of using the ice flower hit it to the edge of the lake and then go across with a regular swing using the 3 wd to get onto the green. I used star Kamek and this is how I did it. So far I haven't used the ice flower to reach any coins out over the water.

lt519

Instead of using the ice flower to get across the lake, use it to get to the edge of the lake on your second shot and then hit it across onto the green with the 3 wd. I used star Kamek to do it.

I was having trouble with the Yoshi's course coin that uses the ice flower. Trying all sorts of methods but its a tough one.

daydream

Banned
Instead of using the ice flower hit it to the edge of the lake and then go across with a regular swing using the 3 wd to get onto the green. I used star Kamek and this is how I did it. So far I haven't used the ice flower to reach any coins out over the water.

Yeah, I think you gave me the same hint for that last Ice Flower challenge, so I'm already trying to reproduce that method for this one, haha. Did a different challenge first and just unlocked Kamek, so I'll give it a shot with him.

Schryver

The ice works but you have to get lucky. I think I used full top spin and only after multiple tries did the ball barely get up out of the lake and into the rough. At that point you have to not screw up a tough shot to make par. Fun stuff

Kinsei

Banned
Apparently you can use mulligans bought from Kamek in the One-on One-putt challenge. That sure makes the 18 hole version a whole lot more manageable.

daydream

Banned
Kamek's sweet spot (or lack thereof) is infuriating on the Rough. I need at least a little bit of leeway!

Edit: Waluigi's isn't much better. So, a special property of Yoshi' Lake's rough patches?

octopiggy

I've been using a real mix of characters. I found Star Daisy's drive really useful early on and then moved on to Star Kamek for his drive. I struggle to regularly hit perfect shots and I don't think I ever will manage to so Kamek just wasn't reliable enough for me.
I think I've finally settled on Star Paratroopa and then Star Toadette for item collection challenges. They're just the right balance for me.

Dunbar

Is there a difference between accessing tournaments in the Mario Golf --> Mario Open menu or accessing them from the basement of the Castle Club? Seems like the same stuff to me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is there a difference between accessing tournaments in the Mario Golf --> Mario Open menu or accessing them from the basement of the Castle Club? Seems like the same stuff to me.

The regional and world tournaments are only available in the Castle I believe.

Jasconius

The ice works but you have to get lucky. I think I used full top spin and only after multiple tries did the ball barely get up out of the lake and into the rough. At that point you have to not screw up a tough shot to make par. Fun stuff

This worked for me too. I used Star Peach. Shot 1 to get two ice flowers, use one to bounce the ball up to the left side of the lake, use second ice flower w/ 3 wood to bounce up and out of the lake w/ topspin. Got lucky to get it on the green too from there and made birdie but that's only 4 shots so anywhere that's not in the water is fine. Definitely took a few tries to get the right positioning, though.

For the star players, is auto mode a safer bet?
No, you'll still be slightly off a lot. This is huge with chracters like star Kamek. Also, Auto doesn't let you select clubs that don't have any room for error.

The correct solution is to choose easier characters for now and "upgrade" when you have better timing.
Is the game padded with a good difficulty curve or is it just a matter of grinding out doing simple tasks on top of a re-skinned background that was most of Golf Advance?
It has a good difficulty curve. It starts out easy but the challenges eventually get pretty challenging.

daydream

Banned
Apparently you can use mulligans bought from Kamek in the One-on One-putt challenge. That sure makes the 18 hole version a whole lot more manageable.

Oh, that's really useful (if true). Added it to the FAQ for now, let me know if it's debunked. Don't have the cash atm to test it myself.

No, you'll still be slightly off a lot. This is huge with chracters like star Kamek. Also, Auto doesn't let you select clubs that don't have any room for error.

Yes, for the second challenge in Yoshi Lake, automatic will do nothing for you as you don't have access to 3W-1W.

Unbanned now I can finally join the gaf community. Game is great by the way, love how quick multiplayer matches go. It's nice to knock out a quick 9 hole versus match in under 10 min.

daydream

Banned
No idea what the hell I'm doing, lol. Really unfamiliar with these DLC courses as I haven't played TT in years, and haven't spend any time at all with them in this one.

Timeaisis

Unbanned now I can finally join the gaf community. Game is great by the way, love how quick multiplayer matches go. It's nice to knock out a quick 9 hole versus match in under 10 min.

Yeah, I really love the pick-up-and-play nature of this game. I can turn it on, crank out a few challenges and a 9-hole course in under 20 minutes. Of course, usually I play like 2 hours at once, but still.

Peru

Just bought this game

Q: Is the top spin / back spin something you really only use when approaching the green?

Jasconius

Just bought this game

Q: Is the top spin / back spin something you really only use when approaching the green?

No it's great in a lot of situations. For example, if you use it correctly you can use it to KEEP yourself from going in the water instead of watching your ball just roll on in... >_<

EDIT: btw i saw that ball balanced on the edge of the hole kouriozan >_<

Timeaisis

Funny story about backspin. I was shooting my 2nd shot on a par-5 to the green to go for an eagle. The wind was towards the hole so I decided to add some backspin to stick...and well, apparently the shot was perfectly lined up with the pin, bounces twice and is about to roll in when...the backspin strikes. I about died.

Jasconius

Funny story about backspin. I was shooting my 2nd shot on a par-5 to the green to go for an eagle. The wind was towards the hole so I decided to add some backspin to stick...and well, apparently the shot was perfectly lined up with the pin, bounces twice and is about to roll in when...the backspin strikes. I about died.

I just tell myself when this (inevitably) happens that the ball wouldn't have bounced the same without the backspin anyway! And if it did surely it would have just bounced off the pin!
Right...? :(

edit: that was weird I was in a lobby by myself... was wondering where everyone went.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I just tell myself when this (inevitably) happens that the ball wouldn't have bounced the same without the backspin anyway! And if it did surely it would have just bounced off the pin!
Right...? :(

Nah you're right, without the backspin being applied the ball wouldn't have landed the same way. There's a good chance it would have bounced higher or a couple times before rolling.

Kinsei

Banned
I got all 120 star coins!

zlCfzR5ZDScfzRk67m

I think I'm going to go for gold on all of the tournaments before going for the moon coins.

Kouriozan

Second time I'm missing an eagle by an inch x)
Edt : good game, did some errors, I need some serious training :lol

Thanks for the gear Daydream, you're not using your Mii and I still get some!

daydream

Banned
Thought my last hole anxiety got the better of me when I landed in the water. Nailing a 18m putt was awesome, though. :D GG

Edit: Oh, you did get something Kouriou? Hmm, might need to revise that part in the FAQ then. :eek:

Jasconius

Second time I'm missing an eagle by an inch x)
Edt : good game, did some errors, I need some serious training :lol

Thanks for the gear Daydream, you're not using your Mii and I still get some!

Good game! Yeah I keep seeing your ball right on the edge of the hole somehow when I come flying in for my approach shot! >_<

Thought my last hole anxiety got the better of me when I landed in the water. Nailing a 18m putt was awesome, though. :D GG

Edit: Oh, you did get something Kouriou? Hmm, might need to revise that part in the FAQ then. :eek:

Those long putts always feel good when they go down! ...

And yeah I still think it must be a random chance whether you will get gear or not from each player if you don't already have their native stuff. ~.~

Top Bottom