• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Cairnsay

Banned
Can different clubs add draw or fade to your shots? Switched clubs last night and suddenly this morning my Mii is hitting with a draw.

Clownboat

Banned
That first hole is generous enough with that barrel cannon to perhaps at last help my achieve my lifelong Mario Golf goal, the Albatross, I can almost taste it at long last!

I've only once gotten an albatross, in the original Mario Golf for N64. I spent several hours replaying a Par 4 hole as Donkey Kong (you'd get the same weather conditions upon saving/reloading) and fine-tuning the massive tee shot. Only after finally achieving it did I realize that the replay would be saved as a Hole-in-One, not an Albatross. I was crushed.

Kouriozan

If I didn't miss that Eagle, I would have been 1st too! Grrr >.<
Good game anyway, I'll be so used to Gold Mario, going back to regular character will hurts!

Kinsei

Banned
I'm currently on my way towards a gold trophy on the fixed chracter, fixed character coin collector, and limited item coin collector tournaments. Hopefully a bunch of people don't beat my scores.

Robin64

Can different clubs add draw or fade to your shots? Switched clubs last night and suddenly this morning my Mii is hitting with a draw.

Yes, they can. Just look out for it on the equipment screen. You can cancel it out with an opposing ball though, if you want. Fade club + draw ball = straight shot. At least, sometimes...

Jasconius

If I didn't miss that Eagle, I would have been 1st too! Grrr >.<
Good game anyway, I'll be so used to Gold Mario, going back to regular character will hurts!
Yeah I thought for sure you would have me there. I forgot how bad having only 200y drive can be on some of those holes!
But at least Peach's ball isn't attracted to water. ;)

edit: looks like it's just me and Kouriozan now? I'll wait a little bit to see if anyone else wanted to play :)

I think I just spent the better part of an hour completing star collector 1 on Bowser's Castle, took me long enough to figure out just what I was supposed to be doing which was then something of a colossal feat to finally pull off successfully, screw music blocks and screw these item related challenges where it often feels like a roulette for most items to actually do what you want.

I got an Albatross yesterday and I don't care how lucky it was, it felt amazing. It was hole 17 on the Seaside Course, I had a really long second shot so I took out something like a 3W and just let it rip with super backspin. It took a huge hop and the spin slowed it down just enough for it to fall into the hole. I immediately yelled for joy and tried to explain to my wife what had happened. For some reason I'm not so sure she fully appreciated the feat. :p
Congrats, nothing quite like when a backspin gets the chip in for that extra kick.

I've only once gotten an albatross, in the original Mario Golf for N64. I spent several hours replaying a Par 4 hole as Donkey Kong (you'd get the same weather conditions upon saving/reloading) and fine-tuning the massive tee shot. Only after finally achieving it did I realize that the replay would be saved as a Hole-in-One, not an Albatross. I was crushed.
On the other hand a Hole in One on a par 4 is nothing to sniff at.
Seems to be quite a few shorter par 4 holes in this game that a powerful star character could potentially hole in one.
I can't believe they took out the saved shots feature.

Jasconius

Yeah, went south for me too at the end there, lol. Got some Canadian gear out of it, though, so thanks. :D

Edit: Lobby issues, but I'm back in if anyone's up for it.

Everyone spent some time in the water there, haha! Got some Canada gear also, yay~

I need to take a break and actually get some stuff done but I'll probably get sucked back in later ;)

daydream

Banned
Doesn't look like anyone's interested atm, so let's make a 1v1 out of it, Cone. :) I'll try Gold Mario.

Edit: Oh man, Gold vs Gold. This can only end well.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I keep seeing people saying that some of the challenges don't have quick restart buttons, which ones?

daydream

Banned
I keep seeing people saying that some of the challenges don't have quick restart buttons, which ones?

Well, every challenge has a restart option while you're still in the challenge. The ones under 'Mario Golf' have one if you fail, also. The ones in the castle club, however, don't have that (which means you'll be talking to Lakitu a bunch).

Lobby's still open btw!

Galactic Fork

Well, every challenge has a restart option while you're still in the challenge. The ones under 'Mario Golf' have one if you fail, also. The ones in the castle club, however, don't have that (which means you'll be talking to Lakitu a bunch).

Lobby's still open btw!

Ah, so the lakitu ones. I thought they meant the challenges challenges.

Dang, missed it. I'll get the next game!

daydream

Banned
Me and Toad go all the way back to SMB2. But man, his drive is just not there in this game. :p

Ah, so the lakitu ones. I thought they meant the challenges challenges.

Dang, missed it. I'll get the next game!

Then get ready, we're just about done!

Edit: We're back in the lobby. Two spots left.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Jesus, they need to do something to make it apparent that the Mario Golf mode isn't just like a practice mode. I would have put this game away disappointed if I hadn't checked with this thread first.

Salsa

Jesus, they need to do something to make it apparent that the Mario Golf mode isn't just like a practice mode. I would have put this game away disappointed if I hadn't checked with this thread first.

really?

do you guys not like.. try to see what the options on the menu are after you pay $30 for a game? I've seen this twice now and it seems nuts to me. It's one button press away.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Haha! I love how I was the only one that had a par on the second hole and everyone else hit par on the 3rd while I got my birdie back. :D

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Is there an actual practice mode in this game? Like where I can pick a course and hole and just keep replaying it over and over. Pretty big oversight if not.

daydream

Banned
I've got Canadian gear FOR DAYS, lol. gg :D

really?

do you guys not like.. try to see what the options on the menu are after you pay $30 for a game? I've seen this twice now and it seems nuts to me. It's one button press away.

Ditto. It's really weird to me. I've seen it way more than twice. Probably like ten times more.

Jasconius

Good game guys! My wife was distracting me when i missed that 3ft putt lol~

I'm down for another whenever, or we can wait if someone else wants in~

Galactic Fork

Man I thought I was completely out when I got that plus 1. Then I busted out the hole in 1. Still didn't win... But still.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Nice round guys. Robin and I both missed fairly easy putts on the 9th hole, one to each side. If either one of us hadn't flubbed that putt we would have taken sole possession of 1st.

Galactic Fork

I've got Canadian gear FOR DAYS, lol. gg :D

Ditto. It's really weird to me. I've seen it way more than twice. Probably like ten times more.

Plus it says underneath when you choose mario golf "Play a quick round of golf on your own or with other players around the world."

Nice round guys. Robin and I both missed fairly easy putts on the 9th hole, one to each side. If either one of us hadn't flubbed that putt we would have taken sole possession of 1st.

And if I'd not messed up the drive, I'd be tied for first. :p

Is there an actual practice mode in this game? Like where I can pick a course and hole and just keep replaying it over and over. Pretty big oversight if not.
I haven't tried them yet but the descriptions say that you can play practice rounds on the Mario courses from the Royal Gardens. It may be just like the practice rounds on the castle courses though.

Top Bottom