• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Calamari41

41 > 38
really?

do you guys not like.. try to see what the options on the menu are after you pay $30 for a game? I've seen this twice now and it seems nuts to me. It's one button press away.

It says "quick round" right on top of the title. I did go in, and I saw that it was letting me pick courses and play them. I didn't realize the whole star coin mechanic, or that this was how I unlocked 90% of the game. Obviously I knew there were more than three courses in this game, so I came here to find out what was going on.

The way it is set up, the intuitive place to look for unlocking of courses is in the Castle Club. To me, "play a quick round of golf" isn't where I look for unlockables.

It says "quick round" right on top of the title. I did go in, and I saw that it was letting me pick courses and play them. I didn't realize the whole star coin mechanic, or that this was how I unlocked 90% of the game. Obviously I knew there were more than three courses in this game, so I came here to find out what was going on.

The way it is set up, the intuitive place to look for unlocking of courses is in the Castle Club.
They show you a preview icon of the next locked Mario course that says how many star coins you need to unlock it but yeah, coming off of games like Hot Shots Golf it's a little confusing that you don't unlock courses by simply "beating" the previous course.

Calamari41

41 > 38
They show you a preview icon of the next locked Mario course that says how many star coins you need to unlock it but yeah, coming off of games like Hot Shots Golf it's a little confusing that you don't unlock courses by simply "beating" the previous course.

Yeah that's how I eventually figured it out. At first glance I thought the icon meant "random" or something. I'm not saying this is some catastrophic flaw, give the game a 0/10 or whatever. It could just be a little bit more intuitive, especially when the game has what appears to be a "story" mode, for lack of a better term. I unlocked the second and third courses by playing through Castle Club, and the first "Mario" course is sitting there available next to empty lots which clearly contain the future ones... so I don't think I'm exactly an idiot for thinking that the way to unlock them was contained within that mode.

And as PreyingShark said, I have never touched the "Quick Round" mode of any other similar game before.

Yeeeeah, the descriptor is horrible and I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking.

The name of the mode itself is fine. "Mario Golf" describes what it is rather well; the traditional Mario Golf experience. But for some reason they labeled it "Quick Round", which in most golf games is "That mode that nobody touches when playing by themselves unless they're bored."

Yeeeeah, the descriptor is horrible and I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking.

The name of the mode itself is fine. "Mario Golf" describes what it is rather well; the traditional Mario Golf experience. But for some reason they labeled it "Quick Round", which in most golf games is "That mode that nobody touches when playing by themselves unless they're bored."

Haha, so true. I think I only found it the second time I played the game because I was trying to skip the into and hit the A button too many times >_<

Jasconius

Ugh missing dat albatross putt... feels bad :(

Good game, though! I think that was the first time I made it with star peach to the green on hole 1 in two hits~

And yeah it's pretty funny how whenever both of us choose Cheep Cheep Lagoon, it always picks whatever else is out there. I've never even actually played it ;p

Robin64

NeoGAF Rush has ended. Go check out the ceremony! Congrats to all the winners.

In its place, may I present...

iEw53gB.png

Limited characters? Yep! If they weren't in the original N64 version, you can't pick 'em. Have fun!

Haha! Tried out the gold Mario for the first time... on the Beach Trip tourney. I did soooo horrible. *laughing* I'm gonna have to try again later. Nice chunk of coins though.

daydream

Banned
Curious to see what place I got. I was third for a while, then someone pushed me out of top 3 yesterday, and this morning I was like 6th or 7th. I think I had sub-3min in me, but just couldn't pull it off.

Also, thanks for coming up with all the tourneys, Robin!

Anustart

That feel when you sink a 120 yd eagle and wish it was an albatross :/

Lobby is up, need 2 more!

Edit: Professor Beef sizzles onto the links! Need one more!

Shadybiz

Okay just got the game yesterday, finally had a chance to start it up today.

FC - Shadybiz - 0216-1152-6404

Looking forward to playing!

Edit: Oop, just saw the google doc; added my stuff onto there.

DirtyLarry

I just did my first World Tournament and it said I unlocked all of the GameBoy items, but I do not see them. Do I have to wait until the Tournament itself is over or am I looking in the wrong place for them?
TIA
DL

th4tguy

I just picked up Hot shots golf from the golden week sale and I must say, I am torn as to what is the better game, which is really upsetting for me as I would have expected Mario Golf would win that easily. It's just not set up very well and a lot of the game's mechanics aren't explained, like unlocking things via star coins.

Grizzo

I finally beat the Mountain Course. I'm getting the hang of it thanks to the advices some of you guys gave me in this thread (especially regarding putting)!

This game is pretty swell.

It makes their phoned-in effort with Mario Tennis 3DS look even worse. :/

Is it really a bad game? I was kinda tempted to get it for cheap since I always get Mario Golf + Tennis on each Nintendo system I own.

Is it really a bad game? I was kinda tempted to get it for cheap since I always get Mario Golf + Tennis on each Nintendo system I own.
The gameplay is fine, but the game is extremely bare bones in terms of content.

And the secret characters are all different colors of Yoshis. And Metal Mario. :/

daydream

Banned
re: Tennis, I liked their idea to introduce new kinds of shots, but once I got through all the tournaments with Waluigi, there wasn't really anything left I was interested in. I'll probably do the minigames at some point, but they didn't strike me as that great, honestly.

Even Camelot can have an off day. Thankfully, this game is a great return to form.

re: Tennis, I liked their idea to introduce new kinds of shots, but once I got through all the tournaments with Waluigi, there wasn't really anything left I was interested in. I'll probably do the minigames at some point, but they didn't strike me as that great, honestly.

Even Camelot can have an off day. Thankfully, this game is a great return to form.
It's just sad, because I vastly prefer tennis to golf, and it'll probably be a while before the next installments come.

Thanks! Yeah I should have read the OP until the end, haha.
For future reference, it and the community code are at the top of the OP, right below a warning I added because I noticed that a very common question was wondering how to unlock the courses and star characters.

I also have the FAQ there but I'm considering stealing that banner for it to make it more obvious.

Salsa

trying to perfect a run on an online tourney only to get a par or screw up some other way in one of the last holes thus rendering your previous eagles/holes in one completely meaningless is about the most infuriating shit that can happen in a game, ever.

I literally played for 3 hours just now and ended up never finishing the 18 holes cause I kept restarting. All for naught. I had to stop cause I was about to bump my head on the wall

Kinsei

Banned
I just completed the 10 Forest Course challenges. I'm scared to think how hard they will be on the tougher courses like Cheep Cheep Lagoon and Bowser's Castle.

505zoom

Anyone else having issues getting the season pass? It keeps hanging up for me around 28%. Tried disabling my firewall and adding the 3DS to the DMZ... same crap. Called Nintendo and they said there was nothing else they could do. Ugh.

XaosWolf

Can't beat Mountain Course....my best score there is +1 :(

Mountain Course is rough. =/

I jumped right into the tournament and lost to Mario as he got a Birdie on the final hole.
So many time I get just up to the edge of the hole and then the ball just says lolno and stops. =(

Current Handicap is +2.5 I think.

It all but turned into game of Simon. I love the previous versions to bits though. (never played the GC one though)
And as Hours Left said, the secret characters sucked.

Velcro Fly

Buying the season pass and then going to play in some tournaments. Been busy the past couple days and will be busier still the rest of the month.

Grizzo

The gameplay is fine, but the game is extremely bare bones in terms of content.

And the secret characters are all different colors of Yoshis. And Metal Mario. :/

It all but turned into game of Simon. I love the previous versions to bits though. (never played the GC one though)
And as Hours Left said, the secret characters sucked.

I see. I'll probably get it someday when I'm craving for a tennis game (which usually happens during Roland-Garros, so pretty soon). The fact that it's not a meaty game is bothering me but I guess it can be alright for a quick fix of tennis. Thanks guys!

For future reference, it and the community code are at the top of the OP, right below a warning I added because I noticed that a very common question was wondering how to unlock the courses and star characters.

I also have the FAQ there but I'm considering stealing that banner for it to make it more obvious.

Yeah I did see the community code but didn't scroll until the end to get to the tournament sheets, so it's totally my fault. That's a nice-looking OP by the way!

Conezays

Good game, man! I kept missing those birdies, but I got lucky on an eagle at the end!

Haha, yeah I was starting to do better at the end...

Unfortunately, so were you.

This is probably a stupid question, but do you/or anyone else know the fastest way to open new levels? Is it doing the challenge stuff in the castle club mode?

Cheers

Top Bottom