• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Robin64

Is there anyway to do tournaments where only one round is allowed? I'd like to see this instead of getting to play a tournament over and over again until you score really well. It'd put more pressure on the one round that you get.

No, afraid not. That's how I thought it would be to begin with, actually.

XaosWolf

Is there anyway to do tournaments where only one round is allowed? I'd like to see this instead of getting to play a tournament over and over again until you score really well. It'd put more pressure on the one round that you get.

Just had a look and the only way I can see of doing that is setting a short time limit for it.
That or asking people not to play more than once and trusting they don't. =P

Kinda sucks there isn't one. But I guess if others can play for a better score, you can too.

multivac

How awful is the mountain course? That feel of overshooting the green and landing in a comically oversized cabbage patch with NO SHOT OUT!
I love you Mario Golf

Jasconius

How awful is the mountain course? That feel of overshooting the green and landing in a comically oversized cabbage patch with NO SHOT OUT!
I love you Mario Golf

Just putt it out!

My solution to everything~
(May not actually work in 99% of cases)

I kind of like the mountain course actually - since most things are uphill you can go crazy with the backspin a lot.

Anustart

Cracked the top 100 in the Americas points tourney. Should have done much better, but I'll take the 57.

Could have been a 63 if I hadn't messed up several times :(

A HiO is worth 8 points as it turns out. I overshot the hole, backspin dropped me in though.

Robin64

Just realised the UK copy has drives listed in meters rather than yards by default.

Was worried that my Miis drive was only "219" compared to "250" that some people here have, but after I realised I switched and it turns out I was at 240 yards. Much better.

(Yeah, we're technically metric here in the UK, but there's loads of stuff we stuck with imperial for because it's just easier to visualise and compare, and golf driving has always been yards in my mind)

KeRaSh

Finished the three castle tournaments and I'm now focusing on the challenges. What should be my priority now to unlock the rest of the content?
I also failed the challenge to win the Goomba costume. How do I make it reappear?

Robin64

Finished the three castle tournaments and I'm now focusing on the challenges. What should be my priority now to unlock the rest of the content?
I also failed the challenge to win the Goomba costume. How do I make it reappear?

Just play more stuff and it will reappear.

For unlocking stuff, start with a) character challenges and b) star types you find easy. More stars means more courses.

KeRaSh

Just play more stuff and it will reappear.

For unlocking stuff, start with a) character challenges and b) star types you find easy. More stars means more courses.

Can I just replay any course until I unlock everything or do I need to play every different play mode / course length etc?

Smilax

Just one more day of finals and I can start playing again! I do need help though, just on the Coin Challenges. Anyone have some tips?

Can I just replay any course until I unlock everything or do I need to play every different play mode / course length etc?
Just play more stuff. Do whatever you want. A new costume challenge will pop up eventually and eventually it'll be the Goomba costume.

Jasconius

To unlock stuff, do the star coin challenges in Mario Golf mode, under single player below the 4 icons. There are other things that unlock in other ways but most stuff is via the star coins.

Characters keep telling me to goto the Training Room within the Castle Club to learn more about the game and practice. But when I visit the Training Room, there is nothing to interact with other than characters which just tell me they are training.
Am I missing something?

Chairhome

Characters keep telling me to goto the Training Room within the Castle Club to learn more about the game and practice. But when I visit the Training Room, there is nothing to interact with other than characters which just tell me they are training.
Am I missing something?

Wrong area? To the right of the main courses, there are 3 entrances to training (drive, approach, putt).

lewisgone

I beat the mountain course a couple hours ago. It was tough and a close game, but fun. The credits were just weird though. If I hadn't known about the modes in the Mario Golf menu option I would have started to freak out (I think it's a big mistake that they label that "quick play" on the main menu).

In fact, the whole castle club mode is weird. I feel like, using the exact same amount of content as is currently in the game you could make a genuinely compelling and lengthy single player "main" campaign. Separate tournaments with some challenges and 1 on 1 matches with characters. It's also strange that the spotlight isn't really put on the "Mario" themed levels until you find the star coin menu, or beat the game. They should have been used to separate the 3 main courses, I think.

So, my issue isn't with the lack of content in the game. There's enough to keep me busy for weeks, if not months, looking at the challenges. It's just odd the way everything was separated up. I figured the whole point of the castle club was to be a hub to get to all the bits of the game. But it turns out you can't reach a whole lot of the content in it...very strange!

Also, online multiplayer is really really great. Looking forward to more GAF games. The asynchronous multiplayer is perfect for games with general strangers and I'm glad it's an option. However, I feel like I would miss waiting for a friend to take their turn..so it's good it can be toggled.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I beat the mountain course a couple hours ago. It was tough and a close game, but fun. The credits were just weird though. If I hadn't known about the modes in the Mario Golf menu option I would have started to freak out (I think it's a big mistake that they label that "quick play" on the main menu).

In fact, the whole castle club mode is weird. I feel like, using the exact same amount of content as is currently in the game you could make a genuinely compelling and lengthy single player "main" campaign. Separate tournaments with some challenges and 1 on 1 matches with characters. It's also strange that the spotlight isn't really put on the "Mario" themed levels until you find the star coin menu, or beat the game. They should have been used to separate the 3 main courses, I think.

So, my issue isn't with the lack of content in the game. There's enough to keep me busy for weeks, if not months, looking at the challenges. It's just odd the way everything was separated up. I figured the whole point of the castle club was to be a hub to get to all the bits of the game. But it turns out you can't reach a whole lot of the content in it...very strange!

Also, online multiplayer is really really great. Looking forward to more GAF games. The asynchronous multiplayer is perfect for games with general strangers and I'm glad it's an option. However, I feel like I would miss waiting for a friend to take their turn..so it's good it can be toggled.

I was thinking about this too just now. Mainly, there are 10 courses, but in the Castle club, only 3 have championship tournaments. You've got this big trophy room. Why not have all 10 courses have tournaments. Maybe different skill level tournaments, too. Then the Mario Golf section has 4 different types of rounds to play. The Match play doesn't really work for tournaments, but they could have had different tournaments in the castle club for stroke, time, and point play. Plus add in a closest to the pin, and you have tons of rewards to win.

Soo, it's not the content that's the problem, but the structure of the content. After you beat the 3 tournaments and the 1 on 1 in challenges, there's not much to do in the Castle Club but the costume challenges and buy gear.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well, this is a fun game.

played one first round and got a plus 1 jumped straight into the nintendo made mario tour or whatever tournament, scored a minus 5. hooray! winners are getting -15 or something, but min 5 isn't bad for second go.

Love it. great game.

Galactic Fork

OK, dumb question, what are all the empty places in the trophy room? I won the 3 main tournaments but I count at least 15 places for more trophy items...

octopiggy

I don't know why they didn't just put all the single player content in the Castle Club.

I got the 100 Star Coins and now working on costume challenges and dlc star coins. There is so much to do in this game. I'm sure some people will just put the game down after the credits roll.

Robin64

What the hell am I missing about how the bomb item works?

Seaside Course, first coin challenge, HOW?

I get the bomb item on the right, then aim for the star which is under the coin with the bomb. Balls hits island, there's some fireworks, fuck all happens. Thought it was meant to fly high up or something?

It makes NO SENSE.

Edit: It magically worked that time. Despite doing the same thing I had done a hundred times before.

Double Edit: Missed the putt and now I can't get it again. This is a pain in the fucking arse.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Toad Highlands is harder than I remember! Going to have to redo it for the tourney at some point. The greens are brutal.

What the hell am I missing about how the bomb item works?

Seaside Course, first coin challenge, HOW?

I get the bomb item on the right, then aim for the star which is under the coin with the bomb. Balls hits island, there's some fireworks, fuck all happens. Thought it was meant to fly high up or something?

It makes NO SENSE.

Edit: It magically worked that time. Despite doing the same thing I had done a hundred times before.
Quick tip: Star Coins (and coins in general) will spin faster if you current shot line will collect them.

Robin64

Quick tip: Star Coins (and coins in general) will spin faster if you current shot line will collect them.

Doesn't seem to help on this one. The line doesn't reach that high, so it wants me to use the bomb? Seriously pissing me off, it's so awkward moving the camera around and picking clubs and ugh. First bit of the game I HATE.

Edit: Just threw my 3DS.

daydream

Banned
Holy shit! Hahaha, that's awesome. Wow, thanks.

*happy again*

:)

I actually did it using the bomb in my initial run (and on the first try, too, I think), but when I was trying to reproduce that just now, I kept failing (seriously, how DID I do that?), so I came up with Daisy. Anyway, if you're having trouble on some of those challenges, try ignoring the item, you don't need always need it.

MizzouRah

I just got -19 on the Americas Cup tournament. Had three pin shots that didn't go in and a lipped out putt. My palms were sweaty from Hole 10 onwards.

Top 100!

8th on the Retro Tournament :) man, nostalgia on that course, the moment I heard the music, I felt like a youngster again. No regrets about that DLC (even I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't included in the main game, but yeah, the DLC is worth it.)

Lexxon

Picked this up on Sunday at Best Buy for $24 after GCU, finally got a chance to play yesterday afternoon/evening. Liking it so far! Castle Club is no RPG mode from the GBC, but it's at least something, and it looks like there's a lot of challenges in Mario Golf mode. (Honestly haven't read through as much of the thread as I should have..)

Once I get my bearings, I may end up trying out Vs. with you folks. I don't expect to win right away...just want to see what the competition looks like!

Jazzem

Forgive me if this has already been asked; is there an update on whether you get the GBC game promotion if you buy a code for World Tour from game.co.uk?

Forgive me if this has already been asked; is there an update on whether you get the GBC game promotion if you buy a code for World Tour from game.co.uk?
I am currently wrestling with Nintendo Customer Support by email. Their current stance is "no chance" but my comeback is that the checkout process for an eShop code bought at retail repeatedly says you will get the free game. And then doesn't give it to you. There should be separate checkout processes for retail and non-retail codes if that's what they intend to do.

Will keep you informed.

Doesn't seem to help on this one. The line doesn't reach that high, so it wants me to use the bomb? Seriously pissing me off, it's so awkward moving the camera around and picking clubs and ugh. First bit of the game I HATE.

Edit: Just threw my 3DS.
I would just like to throw out there that I had no problems getting the bomb high enough with a sand wedge. The hard part was just making sure the ball actually landed on the damn island so I could actually get the ball on the damn green.

There are a lot of other bomb challenges so if you had to cheese that one you should start worrying about the ones you can't cheese.

Are there multiple save files for this game?
Asking if there's a way for my brother and I to play this on our separate consoles and complete things on our own

Gurrry

BOOM

Finals completed. Finally have some time to knock out some challenges... then im probably ready to hit some online. Anyone wanna play in about 10-15 mins?

Kinsei

Banned
Are there multiple save files for this game?
Asking if there's a way for my brother and I to play this on our separate consoles and complete things on our own

Unfortunately there's just one save file.

BOOM

Finals completed. Finally have some time to knock out some challenges... then im probably ready to hit some online. Anyone wanna play in about 10-15 mins?

Sure. Just pop into the lobby when you're ready.

OmegaFax

Just got my first hole-in-one on the one put 9-holes. Then crashed and burned on hole 5.

Such a cruel mistress.

Just wait until the 18-hole challenge after that one. Yeah, no, I'm out.

Getting three hole-in-ones over the course of the game will unlock the Fire Mario outfit. Kind of a nice surprise losing to that challenge for hours but still getting a few decent swings.

Velcro Fly

Yeah sometimes the wind just doesn't function at all.

Hey it's blowing straight at me 13 mph. And then I hit and it's like it doesn't even exist and I roll onto the fringe. Then other times it's right to left at 4 mph. Then my ball goes flailing into the bunker without even touching the green.

There seem to be spots on every green where you can just get an easy straight putt though. I'm awesome at the first five holes but the sixth green I've missed so many times.

Got to hole 8 once and it rolled off the green by about a fingernail.

If I could practice without having to actually do the challenge that would be great.

Galactic Fork

Yeah sometimes the wind just doesn't function at all.

Hey it's blowing straight at me 13 mph. And then I hit and it's like it doesn't even exist and I roll onto the fringe. Then other times it's right to left at 4 mph. Then my ball goes flailing into the bunker without even touching the green.

There seem to be spots on every green where you can just get an easy straight putt though. I'm awesome at the first five holes but the sixth green I've missed so many times.

Got to hole 8 once and it rolled off the green by about a fingernail.

If I could practice without having to actually do the challenge that would be great.

Do you need to have a course unlocked to enter a tourney? Maybe someone can set up a tournament for you to enter.

Top Bottom