• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Velcro Fly

Just been grinding up some trophies with the end of these tournaments tomorrow. Pretty sure I'm going to have a few golds. -11 on Peach Gardens with Mario is maybe my proudest achievement. I have a friend who got -13. Ridiculous.

Speaking of achievements, I feel like the costumes you get in this game function as achievements. So getting full costume unlock will be a ridiculous task though. But I'm so addicted to this game it's unreal. I have nothing going on tomorrow morning so I might wake up early to get a head start on tourneys and maybe set down a good score early.

I've gotten golds on all the tourneys that give gear, but I'm not going to try the DLC Coin Rush tourney. Don't want to spend the time right now.
Is there a way to save and quit?
You mean in the middle of a course? No.

It's a bit awkward since they clearly care a lot about portability since you can start a tournament at home and then do it while you're out and about and then wait to upload your score until you have internet access again.

Velcro Fly

I can't believe how awful the Ice Flower is in this game. I hate to harp on it and I know I've said it before but it's just completely broken. The other items I suppose have uses but the Ice Flower sucks. It's awful and challenges designed around it are ridiculously difficult as a result.

I actually just finished the second star coin on Yoshi's Lake and I really need to grab two ice flowers. One on my second shot to get me close to the water. The second to get me over the lake after I got the coin. But it's still so sketchy.

BM8

Neo Member
zlCfzR5uprciOPPdwC

Got it with only five seconds to spare!

This is a really great Mario Golf game. Packed with content, and really great online features.

Loco4Coco

Fuck the challenges in Cheep Cheep Lagoon. Took me forever to get the two coins.

Yoo, was about to post about this. Cheep Cheep Lagoon is the worst. And some of the costume challenges that require you to get 600 coins are hard as hell. Already done goofed a couple of times.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuck the challenges in Cheep Cheep Lagoon. Took me forever to get the two coins.
Yoo, was about to post about this. Cheep Cheep Lagoon is the worst. And some of the costume challenges that require you to get 600 coins are hard as hell. Already done goofed a couple of times.
Well, not to be obnoxious as you've already got them, but maybe some other people are having trouble too.

1st coin challenge:
-Pick Star Daisy.
-Use one or two shots to get to the coin, depending on wind.
-Use another shot to get back on the fairway.
-Use 4th shot to get to green.
-Putt FTW

2nd coin challenge:
-Pick Star Daisy
-Tee off all the way to the rough/heavy rough, going to the right of the bunker if the wind would steal too much power and land you in it.
-Shoot straight across coin to land in rough again, or try to curve left to land on the fairway/green. Wind may factor in this.
-Use 3rd shot to approach.
-Putt FTW.

Star Daisy fixes everything... almost. Just wait till you get to Bowser's Castle coin challenges. Man, those were a bitch.

Velcro Fly

Best holes to get an albatross?

I read something about DKC hole 1 being the spot but that cannon has never once spit me out on the green

I still just got one on that hole with a chip-in from the fairway lol.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Gah! I hate hate hate the Costume Challenges that require collecting coins. Only in those do I seem to be unable to hit the sweet spots when I line up a decent shot.

I wonder what all that space on the second page of the character select screen is gonna be used for. Potentially 14 more DLC characters? :O

Am I dumb? How do I enter these other tournaments that aren't the first five?
Some you can only enter in the Castle Club. (Mii mode.) Others are through the Mario Golf mode. (Tournament section.)

In Castle Club, the online tournaments are accessed in the basement.

505zoom

Best holes to get an albatross?

I read something about DKC hole 1 being the spot but that cannon has never once spit me out on the green

Don't chip from there. The pin over on the right is a straight putt from short of the green in the fairway. Go a touch over on the power and it's in every time.

Really really tempted to buy this game for a while now. Just a question: are tournaments ongoing indefinitely?

So far, yep!

Galactic Fork

I wonder if there are any secret unlockable modes like the "holding the Z button when you press A" thing in Toadstool Tour to get to the special and password tourneys.

Velcro Fly

Star Bowser is hilarious. I feel like if I got lucky I could hole in one some par 4s.

But then I miss and the ball just doesn't stop going really left or really right. But I've had the uncanny skill in not missing.

Going to guess Star Bowser is like Star DK then only with possibly even more power and less control, part of you gets used to needing to constantly hit perfect accuracy to avoid being flung off into the unknown.
While I remember some characters from Toadstool Tour having this sort of power and accuracy divergence (mainly Petey Piranha) I don't recall it being quite as strong as the power characters in this game where it's as if your shot accuracy have three main possibilities, on the mark, wildly to the right or wildly to the left.

dkeane

Really enjoying this but getting to different modes and knowing what to do is extremely poor.
Castle Club seems worthless, or at least should be in a regular menu as well.

Galactic Fork

OK! I'm going to try something odd! Introducing Galactic Fork's NeoGAF Quicky Tournaments!

Super quick random tournaments! No two will be the same! The first one is a test (others will maybe be slightly longer (but all less than a day)).

Name: Luigi's Sadness
Subtitle: NeoGAF Quicky
Length: >8Hours (Ends Today at 6:22 PM EST)
Type: Point Tourney
Course: Sky Island
Holes: 9 Random order.
Golfer: Only Luigi
Wind: Strong
Other: No items, no flight path
Tourney code (reply to see code):

Enjoy!

Updated new Tourney with longer time!

Okamid3n

Could easily luck into a hole in one or an albatross too though.

It's probably not luck. The biggest flaw of being able to retry tournaments is...the par 3s. I have 55 hios, most were done on the same hole on repeat. I don't know if the game has a random factor on tee shots, because my HIO rate was about 1 HIO per 3 attempts, and when it did hio, it didn't always hit the pin the same way. But still, with a 1-in-3 success rate or higher, it's easily exploitable.

Being able to retry tournaments with seemingly the exact same wind angles every time is beyond silly.

lt519

Ugh was -10 under through 9 on the Seaside tourney then opened up the back with a bogey.

People need to get on that retro tourney, I'm somehow in 3rd with -18! Or was...

Galactic Fork

Will be ending just as I get home to play :\

It's settled! I'll make later in the day and have them last 8 hours.

Shame there's not a way to stop multiple attempts.
Actually, we get two slots, so I'm making a new longer one. Will update original post above!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah sometimes the wind just doesn't function at all.

Hey it's blowing straight at me 13 mph. And then I hit and it's like it doesn't even exist and I roll onto the fringe. Then other times it's right to left at 4 mph. Then my ball goes flailing into the bunker without even touching the green.

Ball trajectory also factors in to how much the wind affects your ball. If you're hitting from distance with a wood, the wind won't have nearly as much effect as if you were closer in hitting with an iron since those clubs have a higher trajectory. You can also mitigate cross-winds to a degree with side-spin.

Galactic Fork

This is why in general we set them for multiple days. Timezones just absolutely screw with online videogames. :(

After the new one ends tonight, I'll start a new longer one. Maybe 16-24 hours. I'm just trying to lessen people playing 50 thousand times till they get the perfect playthrough.

After the new one ends tonight, I'll start a new longer one. Maybe 16-24 hours. I'm just trying to lessen people playing 50 thousand times till they get the perfect playthrough.
I would prefer it if you would just wait on creating more tourneys for now because we already have 7 going on right now. Also, please add any tourneys you make to the spreadsheet. This thread moves fast enough that looking back through the thread for a tourney code can be a pain.

That said, nobody is going to spend hours trying for the perfect score in your tournament. It's just not significant enough for people to do that.

Tarps

That said, nobody is going to spend hours trying for the perfect score in your tournament. It's just not significant enough for people to do that.

I'd agree with this, the only tourneys that I think people are realistically *might* invest hours in are the worldwide & regional tourneys.

For smaller tourneys, people might 'have another go' to improve a lousy round, but can't imagine many repeating over for perfection though.

Galactic Fork

I would prefer it if you would just wait on creating more tourneys for now because we already have 7 going on right now. Also, please add any tourneys you make to the spreadsheet. This thread moves fast enough that looking back through the thread for a tourney code can be a pain.

That's the point of really quick tourneys. They are supposed to be random quick things for people who are often in the thread. Like those of us who pop on encouraging others to go onto the community lobby. It's basically supposed to be for whoever's on at the time it goes up. If you weren't on, you missed it. Oh well. Life goes on...

Yeah. It's supposed to be insignificant.

Timeaisis

Currently around 15th place in the NeoGAF Beach Trip tourney with a -18. I had a pretty "on" round. A couple pars but made up for it with two eagles. I don't see myself doing much better than average one under par per hole. I'm honestly not sure how people are reaching the -20s. Long drivers?

Okamid3n

Currently around 15th place in the NeoGAF Beach Trip tourney with a -18. I had a pretty "on" round. A couple pars but made up for it with two eagles. I don't see myself doing much better than average one under par per hole. I'm honestly not sure how people are reaching the -20s. Long drivers?

For me, Star Mario can reach the following par 4s in one shot: hole 1, 3 (barely) and 4. In my -25, I did an eagle on every par 5s as well as hole 1 and 4, and a hole-in-one on hole 3. I did not miss any birdies and did not chip in anything besides the hole-in-one.

In contrast, my first or second round with Star Mario was a -22 with 4 missed shots and a chip-in. Took me a ton of retries to get -25, which I agree was kind of lame on my part. I won't replay neogaf tournaments for perfect scores anymore (unless specifically encouraged), but I probably will do it on the world tournaments, since...that's just how the game's online tournaments are set up.

I haven't unlocked anyone stronger than Star Mario yet, otherwise hole 3 would've been easier.

Top Bottom