• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Jasconius

Ugh, good game! I had a real hard time with that course for some reason... kept thinking I could come back but my approach shots with that strong wind really let me down. I was impressed with how close most of yours got, Poltergust!

By the way, I really hate the coin costume challenges. They are on a completely different tier of difficulty from the rest of the challenges.

Jasconius

By the way, I really hate the coin costume challenges. They are on a completely different tier of difficulty from the rest of the challenges.

Yeah, these and the moon coin coin challenges are the only ones that I -hate- doing. Anything to do with coin collection that isn't devastatingly simple, really...

Yeah, these and the moon coin coin challenges are the only ones that I -hate- doing. Anything to do with coin collection that isn't devastatingly simple, really...

Really? I got all of the Moon Coin coin challenges on my first try. They are all pretty simple because you're basically just following a path.

npa189

The mountain championship is killing me, Mario is an asshole. I had a -7 going, but then I fucked it up in a bunker. How is this so brutally hard?

bigpumbaa

For all the shit Nintendo is getting about Tomodachi Life, Birdo is the most fabulous fucking character to ever appear in a golf game.

I mean, jesus. It's either modeled after a sassy black woman or a drag queen or both. And I love it for it.

(And not that it matters, but I'm a gaymer as well).

I mean look at this fierce bitch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvxWHNjaeI

lt519

For all the shit Nintendo is getting about Tomodachi Life, Birdo is the most fabulous fucking character to ever appear in a golf game.

I mean, jesus. It's either modeled after a sassy black woman or a drag queen or both. And I love it for it.

(And not that it matters, but I'm a gaymer as well).

I mean look at this fierce bitch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvxWHNjaeI

Someone needs to overlay her birdie dance with that milkshake song...

Can someone please tell me how to beat the first star coin collector challenge under Seaside Course? The coin is super high and even with the item (forget what it's called) I can't seem to get it. Thanks.

I'm not a fan of that solution because you'll have to learn how to properly use that type of bomb eventually for other challenges.

The actual way is to simply use a wedge after getting the bomb (while using said bomb of course) to grab the coin while dropping down onto the star-shaped fairway. Then you do a short approach shot and then putt it in.

I'm not a fan of that solution because you'll have to learn how to properly use that type of bomb eventually for other challenges.

The actual way is to simply use a wedge after getting the bomb (while using said bomb of course) to grab the coin while dropping down onto the star-shaped fairway. Then you do a short approach shot and then putt it in.
Thanks fellow GAFfers. PreyingShark I'll try it your way first, if it's too hard I'll do it daydreaming's way!

daydream

Banned

I'm 70 Star coins in or so and I can't remember many challenges with that bomb. But anyway, you can learn how to use the bomb without actually getting the coin, then use the quick method to move on, no harm done.

Any news on that DLC goodness? I wanna play as Rosie now and play the remaining N64 Courses :p
No news. I won't be surprised if the next DLC pack just randomly goes up :(

On the bright side, the game's description for Rosalina says that she has a lot of power so she should be viable for tourneys and stuff.

Smilax

No news. I won't be surprised if the next DLC pack just randomly goes up :(

On the bright side, the game's description for Rosalina says that she has a lot of power so she should be viable for tourneys and stuff.

I'm excited to see Nabbit as well! I guess I should do challenges now... but... meh.

To get the hardest AI, Pro, you have to get 90 star coins to unlock the moon coins (also unlocks Semi-Pro AI) and then get 100 moon coins.

GLHF

Smilax

To get the hardest AI, Pro, you have to get 90 star coins to unlock the moon coins (also unlocks Semi-Pro AI) and then get 100 moon coins.

GLHF

How many coins to unlock the secret AI, Shark mode, when the computer only gets Hole-in-ones, Albatrosses, and Eagles?

Anustart

I love the tournaments, but... I just continually reset and I don't unlock things doing that :(

Just cleared the forest out of moon coins, seaside up next!

Cheep Cheep Lagoon will not be featured in the "GAF Tour" because it's possible for a random lag spike to happen during your swing. This makes it not suited for competitive play.

Though, most people hate it because they suck at it so I doubt it'll be missed too much.

I'll work on the thread for the "GAF Tour" after my last final tomorrow. Now excuse me as I prepare to only get like 2 hours of sleep.
How many coins to unlock the secret AI, Shark mode, when the computer only gets Hole-in-ones, Albatrosses, and Eagles?
161 in both Star Coins and Moon Coins.

:3

Also, we got a new router so you're doomed now.

Anustart

Ugh. Last hole on Americas tournament, I'm literally 10 feet from hole and screw it up lol. Should been -22, but -21 is ok as well.

Any news on that DLC goodness? I wanna play as Rosie now and play the remaining N64 Courses :p

Siliconera and a few other sites mention that the DLC packs are coming out in 1 month intervals, although I don't think there's been any official word directly from Nintendo.

Velcro Fly

Cheep Cheep Lagoon is awful. Doing the weekly tourney and it physically pains me to play this course.

Worst 9 holes of golf and coin rush ever. I don't think I put any effort in.

My -16 on the DLC tourney is good enough for gold. Bronze for the item and nothing for coin rush. I hate coin rush so much lol!

BM8

Neo Member
Can someone please tell me how to beat the first star coin collector challenge under Seaside Course? The coin is super high and even with the item (forget what it's called) I can't seem to get it. Thanks.

What you do is aim to your right, and snag the item.

Than, turn and face the star coin hovering over the island. Equiped your item, and adjust its height, by clicking up and down. This is how you get it to go up very high.

Make sure the balls landing point is in the star coins shadow, and that your shots high peak is touching the star coin.

It took me a while to figure out, but it was basically the clicking up and down to adjust the height that I didnt know about right away.

The items in general take a little bit to get use to. I didn't like them at first, because I didnt understand them, but once you learn, they're a cool addition.

So I'm going through Challenges, unlocking stuff, and for each of the first fews pages of challenges I have got all gold star coins. But at the top of each page there's a half a star coin? What's that about?

octopiggy

So I'm going through Challenges, unlocking stuff, and for each of the first fews pages of challenges I have got all gold star coins. But at the top of each page there's a half a star coin? What's that about?

Moon Coins challenges. They get unlocked once you have 90 Star Coins and they're tough. I have 54 of them at the moment.

daydream

Banned
So are the physics on that course similar to rain on any other course? Luigi almost beat me in triple sudden death match play because I couldn't hit a putt to save my life, kept coming up short.

Yes, I think so. Re: putting, just don't be afraid to put way more power behind it. Maybe I don't have that much trouble with it since I tend to do that all the time.

daydream

Banned
So, so, when are we getting Nabbit?
I saw some interesting costume in the latest Neko Mario Time, I wish I was skilled enough to get them easily in the costume challenges x)

Edit : Here is the video, start at 3min 15s : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r-mzEkfUKA

You referring to the Wiggler costume? I unlocked that. I think you get that one after you have all the characters, so via medals (maybe 50 or 55?), not costume challenges. I'm going from memory, though, might be wrong!

Robin64

Well done to all 36 players who took part in Mount NeoGAF, but the top spots go to MrG&W and Jascii with -23, and Poltergust with -22.

MountGAF over? "GAF tour" will start soon. Stay tuned.
So are the physics on that course similar to rain on any other course? Luigi almost beat me in triple sudden death match play because I couldn't hit a putt to save my life, kept coming up short.
Pretty similar to rain.

It's also laggier.

EDIT: GAF Tour will be banning Star Mario BTW because he's better than all the other power characters. His straight shot means that the paths of mishits are much more predictable and easier to account for. It's also easier to memorize HIOs when the character has a straight shot because the flight path is more predictable.

Scoring system will be based on relative score, too, since this game's tiebreaker sucks. There's also a certain score on each course where once you get past that it's not really a matter of skill but a matter of memorizing Par 3's for consistent HIOs. No extra points will be awarded for those types of scores.

And it's not really worth grinding because there'll be a cut at the end and then community matches will be used to determine the winner. This is because you can't grind community matches. So if you're consistent you just need to do a few tries to get a good score for each tourney to make it into cut.

Kouriozan

Trying to go under 27m for the approach tournament since there is less than 16 hours left, I know I can do it.

EDIT : There it is, 23.67m, gimme my gold trophy!

Jasconius

MountGAF over? "GAF tour" will start soon. Stay tuned.

Pretty similar to rain.

It's also laggier.

EDIT: GAF Tour will be banning Star Mario BTW because he's better than all the other power characters. His straight shot means that the paths of mishits are much more predictable and easier to account for. It's also easier to memorize HIOs when the character has a straight shot because the flight path is more predictable.
Awww, boo. I do agree, though. I guess I'll have to practice playing with Star Kamek some more~
Scoring system will be based on relative score, too, since this game's tiebreaker sucks. There's also a certain score on each course where once you get past that it's not really a matter of skill but a matter of memorizing Par 3's for consistent HIOs. No extra points will be awarded for those types of scores.
I dunno if that's really true... For my -23 on Mount NeoGAF, I had 2 chip-in eagles. I guess I'd be interested in knowing the details of how this works.
And it's not really worth grinding because there'll be a cut at the end and then community matches will be used to determine the winner. This is because you can't grind community matches. So if you're consistent you just need to do a few tries to get a good score for each tourney to make it into cut.
This is good, though! Community matches are very fun~

I dunno if that's really true... For my -23 on Mount NeoGAF, I had 2 chip-in eagles. I guess I'd be interested in knowing the details of how this works.
Yeah, thought about that. I think I'll do a soft cap instead of a hard cap to accomplish my overall goal while still rewarding people who make long chip-ins while still being consistent. And I think I'll make people's scores relative to the soft cap instead of each other because that's simpler and should still work out.

For the scoring system I'm probably going to set a score of 0 or higher at 0 points, the score used for the soft cap at 100 points, and then have a curve between them based on the idea that... Say a course's soft cap is -11. Then, assuming no long chip-ins, a -11 is 0 mistakes, a -10 is 1 mistake, a -9 is 2 mistakes, a -8 is 3 mistakes, a -7 is 4 mistakes, etc. So the difference of how impressive a stroke between scores is is bigger the closer you get to the soft cap. And each stroke lower than the soft cap will be awarded a small amount of bonus points that becomes smaller the lower you go.

Or something like that. The main thing is to keep everything relative so that the Top Cut works out properly. I thought about difficulty multipliers, but more skilled players would naturally get more points out of that course with this system to begin with. While grinding to the soft cap is possible, going by past GAF tourneys I don't think that'll be a huge problem since I'm doing a top cut. I want all-birdie runs to be Top Cut-worthy so I'll determine the Top Cut point cut-off near the end.

Top Bottom