• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Jasconius

Just managed to pull out a -23 in the Americas Tourney 1. Placing me in 11th place. Not bad!
Thanks for this post, you motivated me to finally get around to improving my scores on this and the world tourney before they finished! Managed to get -21 on both, which isn't too bad, and much better than the -16 I had before, at least!

Yeah, thought about that. I think I'll do a soft cap instead of a hard cap to accomplish my overall goal while still rewarding people who make long chip-ins while still being consistent. And I think I'll make people's scores relative to the soft cap instead of each other because that's simpler and should still work out.

For the scoring system I'm probably going to set a score of 0 or higher at 0 points, the score used for the soft cap at 100 points, and then have a curve between them based on the idea that... Say a course's soft cap is -11. Then, assuming no long chip-ins, a -11 is 0 mistakes, a -10 is 1 mistake, a -9 is 2 mistakes, a -8 is 3 mistakes, a -7 is 4 mistakes, etc. So the difference of how impressive a stroke between scores is is bigger the closer you get to the soft cap. And each stroke lower than the soft cap will be awarded a small amount of bonus points that becomes smaller the lower you go.

Or something like that. The main thing is to keep everything relative so that the Top Cut works out properly. I thought about difficulty multipliers, but more skilled players would naturally get more points out of that course with this system to begin with. While grinding to the soft cap is possible, going by past GAF tourneys I don't think that'll be a huge problem since I'm doing a top cut. I want all-birdie runs to be Top Cut-worthy so I'll determine the Top Cut point cut-off near the end.
This all sounds great! Also quoting for top of new page~

baconcow

New to this. Why does the white arrows show my shot landing to the left or right whenn the yellow marker is right on the pin. Reading online, it states the white is where the ball will land and the yellow is where the ball will go with a perfect timed shot. However, it states the white arrow does not account for wind, slope, or elevation. What causes this descrepancy between white arrow and yellow marker left/right alignment?

The only thing I can tell is the slope of the ground under the ball might affect this. It is hard to tell sometimes, though, what the slope is.

mmxzero

I've been hooked on the game since I bought it last week. Joined the community and got second place in the GAF retro cup 2. Feel free to add me from the google doc!

New to this. Why does the white arrows show my shot landing to the left or right whenn the yellow marker is right on the pin. Reading online, it states the white is where the ball will land and the yellow is where the ball will go with a perfect timed shot. However, it states the white arrow does not account for wind, slope, or elevation. What causes this descrepancy between white arrow and yellow marker left/right alignment?

The only thing I can tell is the slope of the ground under the ball might affect this. It is hard to tell sometimes, though, what the slope is.

Yellow marker is where your character is aimed, you are right that the white line is where your shot's flight path will actually go if you hit it perfect not accounting for wind. The white line deviates from where the yellow marker is because it does take into account the slope of your ball's lie. Elevation will affect how your ball reacts when it lands and the white line doesnt show that, only where it will first hit the ground. So your ball will roll further upon landing when hitting to an elevated green and wont roll as much when it falls further to a lower green, assuming the green was flat.

Settling with a -20 for both Forest Course tourneys.

Could've gotten a -21 for Worlds but I was dumb on the last hole. This actually doubled the rank I would have gotten ><; But it should be good enough for my trophy so good enough this time. I'll just strive for a higher position next tourney. Hopefully less choking next time.

EDIT: For Worlds it's 4 Japanese, 5 Americans, and 1 Canadian.

Jasconius

Ahhh, finally got the costumes from Endless putting & shot challenges. The endless putting challenge was probably the easiest for me, but the Extra putting challenge (where you have to make 7 out of 10 long putts) was a nightmare. I probably tried 30-40 times before I finally got it...

I cannot for the life of me beat the one on, one putt challenge at Sky Island. I've probably tried like 20 times already.

Don't worry, you're not the only one! I probably tried 50 times or so before finally beating it! Make sure to buy some mulligans from Kamek if you have the money, should make it a bit easier!

Ellite25

Don't worry, you're not the only one! I probably tried 50 times or so before finally beating it! Make sure to buy some mulligans from Kamek if you have the money, should make it a bit easier!
I didn't think about that at all but I'm definitely doing that now haha Thanks!

Kouriozan

New handicap tournaments in the Castle Club, Low/Mid/High handicap and Double Peoria? What's this?
Edit : Nevermind, just checked, that's interesting.

Kouriozan

And 4 gold trophies from the online tournaments (kinda glad the Mario Golf ones don't show up, haha)

lwY1HSt.jpg

You also should get this :

y3nYGq7.jpg

You need to have 10 online tournaments trophies to unlock that costume.

Robin64

I had thought the Worldwide Tournament trophies would go in the glass cases.

Guess they're for the so-called Castle Club Tournaments, then. Or Calloway.

Kouriozan

You need 25 or more handicap for the high handicap online tournament 0_o
I'm at 41 hours of playtime and my handicap is only 10!
I need to play Castle Club mode more often I guess.

You need 25 or more handicap for the high handicap online tournament 0_o
I'm at 41 hours of playtime and my handicap is only 10!
I need to play Castle Club mode more often I guess.
Are you sure your handicap isn't actually +10? Because 10 is a very poor handicap that doesn't suit your skill level at all and a 25 is even shittier than that.

Kouriozan

Are you sure your handicap isn't actually +10? Because 10 is a very poor handicap that doesn't suit your skill level at all and a 25 is even shittier than that.

Yes, it is +10 and you need +25, I would have use - otherwise x)
Still, I'm getting like +0,8 or something every 2 tournaments so it would take some time to be able to enter the high handicap tournament.

Camjo-Z

I must have spent at least an hour on that Cheep Cheep Lagoon Star Coin challenge with the Boomerang Flower, only to then try beating it without the item and get it on the first attempt. -__-

Also, I did pitifully in the online tournaments! But that's OK, I was playing them for the items anyway.

lt519

Thanks for this post, you motivated me to finally get around to improving my scores on this and the world tourney before they finished! Managed to get -21 on both, which isn't too bad, and much better than the -16 I had before, at least!

Damn I replayed them yesterday to improve my scores from -18 and got -20 in both (missed a birdie putt by an inch on the Americas). Going to check when I get home for my rankings. Also posted sub 75 yards on the closest to pin.

So lots of new tournaments? Exciting!

Kouriozan

You don't need a +25. You need a 25. - handicaps do not exist in golf.

Aaaah, I see.
Maybe it is written differently in english but the condition to enter is to have "less than 10 handicap" for low, "between 10 and 25" for mid and "more than 25" for high handicap tournament.

Robin64

Made a slight correction to my spreadsheets showing the tournaments.

The "Regional/European Low/Medium/High Handicap 1" tournament doesn't just give the Super Mushroom Shoes as a prize, it also gives the Luigi Glove. (I had wondered why that seemed absent and the original source never listed it)

Fatbody

Any tips for holes 6-9 on One On, One Putt? I would really love to not break my system in a moment of less than stellar self control...

I found success in going with a club with a low trajectory and applying super backspin to keep the ball parked on the green. The wind becomes less of a factor that way.

Zalman

I finally have the time to sit down and play this game. It's going to be a fun weekend.

Will join the GAF community soon!

I found success in going with a club with a low trajectory and applying super backspin to keep the ball parked on the green. The wind becomes less of a factor that way.

I'm going to need to give this a go with a clear head. The lack of quick start leaves me entering each try a bit frazzled and I keep just trying the same thing over and over expecting different results which we all know is crazy.

Aaaah, I see.
Maybe it is written differently in english but the condition to enter is to have "less than 10 handicap" for low, "between 10 and 25" for mid and "more than 25" for high handicap tournament.
Yep. What this means is that if somebody just started the game and got a 9.0 from the practice round, then they'll be in the Low-Handicap Tournament and get 9 strokes taken off of their score, whereas you would get 10 strokes added to your score, making it almost fucking impossible to get gold unless you got like a -28 or something absurd like that.

Kouriozan

Yep. What this means is that if somebody just started the game and got a 9.0 from the practice round, then they'll be in the Low-Handicap Tournament and get 9 strokes taken off of their score, whereas you would get 10 strokes added to your score, making it almost fucking impossible to get gold unless you got like a -28 or something absurd like that.

Thanks for explaining, I need to read that glossary x)

SHarris78

Just added myself to the spreadsheet, though I currently suck big time - not to mention The Rage has begun rearing its ugly head.

(Mostly) good fun though !

daydream

Banned
I must have spent at least an hour on that Cheep Cheep Lagoon Star Coin challenge with the Boomerang Flower, only to then try beating it without the item and get it on the first attempt. -__-

Also, I did pitifully in the online tournaments! But that's OK, I was playing them for the items anyway.

Still missing that one. No Boomerang, you say? Hmm..

Kouriozan

OMG, my first Albatros, and in the second worldwide tournament, woot!

PgGB2Ob.jpg

Oh noes, it was in the handicap tournament :(
Ended up with a score of -9,6 (-19 + 9,4).
I fear most players will abuse the handicap system.

Edit : Looks to be alright for now... Hope we won't see someone with like 20 handicap :lol

BGymTF6.jpg

AoJXCPD.jpg

My current ranking.

Are you saying I should be in the 25 High Handicap Tournys to win all the gold trophies?
If you're bad enough to have a handicap in the 25 to 50 range then you are not going to be able to get the other gold trophies because that means you're getting like bogeys, double bogeys, etc. every hole.

Smilax

If you're bad enough to have a handicap in the 25 to 50 range then you are not going to be able to get the other gold trophies because that means you're getting like bogeys, double bogeys, etc. every hole.

but what if it was all a ruse and I'm getting hole-in-ones and eagles!

Salsa

all those online tourney costumes

havent had time to play. I need em

I dont know how I feel about you spoiling all of em you bastards

lt519

3 golds and 65k coins, not to shabby. Time to check out the Mario open results. Should have enough mulligans to get me through the 18 hole one on one putt challenge.

Edit: 3 more golds in Mario Open for another 70k coins. Took forever to check everything!

I'm surprised the Mario open tournaments gave more coins, I thought my placing was considerably worse.

lt519

People already abusing the handicap tournaments. Just shot a -19 and am in bronze medal. First place has a handicap of 9 and a net of 25. Not even going to bother with this tournament. I'd have to shoot -21 under to even get silver. Disappointing.

Kouriozan

People already abusing the handicap tournaments. Just shot a -19 and am in bronze medal. First place has a handicap of 9 and a net of 25. Not even going to bother with this tournament. I'd have to shoot -21 under to even get silver. Disappointing.
What? Nooooo...
Checking it now.

Edit : phew, still Gold for now.
1st place has an handicap of 9 and a score of -19, are you talking about the US tournaments?

What? Nooooo...
Checking it now.

Edit : phew, still Gold for now.
1st place has an handicap of 9 and a score of -19, are you talking about the US tournaments?
You already know what region I'm from, so to answer his question...
SkXcgpS.jpg

If I can't get gold on my main file then I'll do it on my secondary file damn it. Sorry guys, but I think we can all agree that anybody's main file is already out of the running if they actually beat the Castle Club mode. I'll go for -30 or lower soon after I put this country's gear on my main file and restart.

Top Bottom