• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Velcro Fly

Can't wait for that last DLC. I sometimes enjoy firing up the game to play a quick 18 holes.

I haven't even unlocked moon coins yet. This game is probably only behind Animal Crossing on my Activity Log. The weekly tournaments is just such an awesome touch. This game really was the thing no one asked for but turned out amazing.

The greens for the Castle Tournament really threw me for a loop. As far as I can tell, the slopes are actually twice as sensitive when putting on them. So, you really have to overcompensate with your aim, even for slopes that would barely affect your trajectory otherwise.

And obviously, doing any kind of super spin when shooting for the green is a bad idea. Try to hit the ball at its lowest point so that it doesn't roll around too much.

I got -17 on it, and I think that's satisfactory.

daydream

Banned
So, who's this F-ZERO guy. He wins, like, every tournament. :p

Edit: I couldn't sink a putt if my life depended on it atm. Comes from not playing daily anymore, I guess.

Velcro Fly

I got 800+ coins on the open coin rush just now. I hit a few clutch shots to get some big coins. I messed up a couple easy shots that would have got me 50-60 more coins total.

Also I've been sticking to doing the gimmick tourneys just once. I might play a tourney a couple times to get a better golf score, but coin rush and near pin I normally don't care.

donny2112

First hole, mushroom, 1W, super top spin, land right on first heart in the middle toward the top, end up in the rough near the green. 120 coins. Take a shot on edge for one of the coin groupings next to Peach. ~140 coins first hole. Sure you don't want to try it again. ;)

daydream

Banned
I got 800+ coins on the open coin rush just now. I hit a few clutch shots to get some big coins. I messed up a couple easy shots that would have got me 50-60 more coins total.

Also I've been sticking to doing the gimmick tourneys just once. I might play a tourney a couple times to get a better golf score, but coin rush and near pin I normally don't care.

Wish they would have done more speed tournaments. Those and the near-pin ones are the only type of tourneys I try more than once. Everything else takes too long.

If it's like last time then the US will get the Star Pack at around 10 PM EDT tomorrow.

Anybody up for trying that pack out together?

I might be up for that. That's after EU gets it, right?

Star Pack released in NA. From the main menu, Toad's Booth -> Downloadable Content -> View Content (lower right hand corner). If you have the season pass it should prompt you for the update.

daydream

Banned
Rosalina's drive is pretty good, as expected. Her birdie animation is also badass, I gotta admit.

And oh hey, Mario's Star is fiendishly difficult.

Velcro Fly

If this would have been released before Mario Tennis it would have sold better I think. People got burned by that one I feel so they are hesitant to buy this.

With all of the previous Star/Moon Coin challenges, I was able to complete them using a little ingenuity in using my items. However, this is the first time that this kind of challenge has stumped me. I have no clue on how to proceed with this since the only solution I have requires 6 strokes (unless you get a lucky chip-in, but that's not gonna happen with the strong winds).

Basically, my current way of doing it is this:

1. Use the mushroom on the first stroke to hit as close as you can to the fairway behind the firework item.
2. Hit to the fairway behind the firework item.
3. Hit the ball towards the left onto a small patch of fairway while grabbing the firework item.
4. Use the firework item to grab the Moon Coin.
5. Hit towards the green.

The only way I can see improving this is to someone get onto the fairway behind the firework item in one stroke, but I simply can't find a method to do that, even with Star Rosalina/Star Bowser. Any suggestions?

And oh hey, Mario's Star is fiendishly difficult.

Actually, Rock-Candy Mines is a lot more difficult than that. No roughs and just as many places to go out-of-bounds means that you'll go out-of-bounds a lot more often there. If people disliked Mountain Course, they'll hate Rock-Candy Mines.

So what are they gonna do with all that extra real estate in the DLC characters section?
2572053-amiibo.jpg

:D

donny2112

Actually, Rock-Candy Mines is a lot more difficult than that. No roughs and just as many places to go out-of-bounds means that you'll go out-of-bounds a lot more often there. If people disliked Mountain Course, they'll hate Rock-Candy Mines.

Oh, good. Have been stinking it up on Rock-Candy Mines (birdie, birdie, birdie, 3xOB +5, etc.), so good to hear Mario's Star isn't as bad. Remember some of those Mario Star courses from the N64 version and remembered them being hard, but didn't remember the Rock-Candy Mines course like this! :lol

I, I don't know whether to be excited or not!?

Velcro Fly

So is there no way to practice individual holes? I'd really love to be able to practice 16-18 on Sparkling Waters but I don't feel like playing the entire back 9 to get there every time.

rekameohs

Banned
Holy fuck, Rock-Candy Mines is insanely hard. I got a +10 on my first run! (Thanks +6 on the 18th hole...)

Quite a bit different from all those -15's or so I get on the other courses, haha.

The Moon Coin Score Attack challenge for Rock-Candy Mines is so much fun, guys!

Not. Whoever changed the minimum (maximum?) score to -6, even though all of the prior DLC courses have a minimum score of -5 for both Star Coin and Moon Coin Score Attack challenges, must be a sadist. This course is absolutely ridiculous with it's sloped greens, non-existent roughs, strong winds, and slim fairways. You can't mess up at all or else it's impossible to beat that score.

I'm really glad I'm done with that. All that's left now is the remainder of the Mario's Star challenges.

Anustart

Haven't picked this up in a while. Probably missed a tournament or two, including the gaf one. Dunno if my interest will return. Was a great game though!

Velcro Fly

Rock Candy Mines course is fun but challenging. I had one bad hole where I went +7 but otherwise had a pretty good round. I know I can shoot better with Star Yoshi.

octopiggy

Oh thank god

EDIT: Major gear and Callaway gear does not seem to turn up.

By Majors do you mean World and European Tournaments?

I've really enjoyed my time with this game but the Mario Open Tournaments are starting to feel like a bit of a chore. I will probably just start buying them but don't want to miss any.

octopiggy

Majors would be the tourneys that you have to qualify for. So the Castle Tournament, Star Tournament, etc. There are 4 in total.

Oh, okay. Thanks. Have the dates for the remaining Majors been set yet?

Now that I don't feel like I have to play these tournaments for the items I'm going to work on making my trophy room a little more... golden.

cube444

So far my best is -25 on the Forest Course and -24 on the Seaside Course with Star Bowser. Is it possible for a well built Mii character to surpass that?

P.S. I still HATE the fact the developers never included a saved replays system in this game. Totally inexcusable IMO.

Phil S.

Banned
Just needing two more costume challenge unlocks, the Piranha Plant and Reznor. Both are 600 coin challenges, one in DK Jungle and one in Cheep Cheep Lagoon.

Both are driving me batty!

donny2112

P.S. I still HATE the fact the developers never included a saved replays system in this game. Totally inexcusable IMO.

Would've been the perfect Mario Golf
if they had added in Mini-Golf, too
, especially if they just used the SD card to store however many replays you wanted. :( :( :(

Top Bottom