• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

TEJ

This would be way better than mk8 wii u if there weren't so many connection issues.

And mk8 wii u is my favorite racer ever.

When the game is running properly it's a pure delight.

Also any neogaf online groups? I'd love to join in!

Nakasan

Yessssss! 1st.

This would be way better than mk8 wii u if there weren't so many connection issues.

If you quote the op I believe you can see tournament codes. There's a few of us in 150cc right now

Quote the first post for tournament codes. I think the most frequented one is the 150cc one.

Anarky

Banned
I've gone into the gaf frantic 150cc room like 20 times since getting MK8D and not once has it not been empty. Is there something up with the matchmaking?

Exentryk

I've gone into the gaf frantic 150cc room like 20 times since getting MK8D and not once has it not been empty. Is there something up with the matchmaking?

You should post here or discord chat to see which rooms are active at a particular time. I don't think the Frantic rooms have not been used much, since normal items seem good enough this time around.

molnizzle

They should probably just close the Frantic tournaments and remove them from OP. Nobody plays them.

Oreoleo

I am getting absolutely destroyed by the SNES Rainbow Road time trial. Anyone got tips on routes or loadouts to use?

Edit: Fuck you Cat Peach! Just beat it by a full two seconds, you really gotta cut every single corner as razor sharp as possible and hit as many boosts off the Thwomps as possible. There's like zero room for error.

Durden77

Handling is how easy you turn, traction is how your Kart fares off road like in sand or ice or against bloopers or in rainbow road

Why rainbow road? Is that considered and off road track or something? And how does it help against bloopers?

And I'm guessing overall it's not that important of a stat?

goldenpp72

So what is all needed to unlock everything in the game? I have only been focusing on the cups, just curious, and how much harder does it get than 3 starring 200CC?

Berordn

So what is all needed to unlock everything in the game? I have only been focusing on the cups, just curious, and how much harder does it get than 3 starring 200CC?

To unlock everything you need to collect 5000 coins total, and get at least one star in all the Mirror Mode cups, beat all the staff ghosts in 150cc time trials, and get gold in 200cc. Ranking higher than that is totally optional.

It's actually very easy to unlock everything now that they've cut the coin requirement in half.

goldenpp72

To unlock everything you need to collect 5000 coins total, and get at least one star in all the Mirror Mode cups, beat all the staff ghosts in 150cc time trials, and get gold in 200cc. Ranking higher than that is totally optional.

It's actually very easy to unlock everything now that they've cut the coin requirement in half.

So 200cc time trials don't matter?

Exentryk

Why did i get Gold Mario only after i did the 200cc cups then?

On another note, I'm new here and have no clue how to get into the GAF tournaments and stuff. do i have to just be lucky to see it's starting or is there some kind of notification going on?
I'm such a GAF noob despite lurking for ages. :(

Quote the first post in this thread, and find the tournament codes for 150cc Normal and 200cc Normal. Enter those codes in your game to enter those tournament lobbies.

It's best to check here or in discord chat if and when people are playing, coz otherwise the rooms will be empty. There is no notification or anything about when the rooms get busy.

Ho_su

Neo Member
I enter the tournament 200c, first time playing with Gaffers..... Plz dont kill me ><

Edit: who it work?

Edit 2: never mind, time to wait

Wamb0wneD

Quote the first post in this thread, and find the tournament codes for 150cc Normal and 200cc Normal. Enter those codes in your game to enter those tournament lobbies.

It's best to check here or in discord chat if and when people are playing, coz otherwise the rooms will be empty. There is no notification or anything about when the rooms get busy.

Thanks! Since i don't have discord regulary and only use it in my browser every 100 years, checking here or in the rooms directly is the best thing to do then.

Seems like most people in those rooms are in the US though, so I won't have many chances. Well we will see. Thanks again!

Edit:
Did you have all 150cc TT's done? Only thing I can think of is you missed one, then accidentally finished it thinking it was 150. I unlocked GM without doing an 200's at all

I didn't do a single time trial yet, only the cups, and got him only after i finished the last 200cc cup with 3 stars. (Neo Bowser City is the worst)

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so why is no one in the gaf rooms? theres only 1 room right? I dont seem to have an option to join more than 1

ah thanks

well im in the room. if anyone wants to play in 150. im new to mk8

Why did i get Gold Mario only after i did the 200cc cups then?

On another note, I'm new here and have no clue how to get into the GAF tournaments and stuff. do i have to just be lucky to see it's starting or is there some kind of notification going on?
I'm such a GAF noob despite lurking for ages. :(

Whoops I totally misread (and confused myself). Yes, 200cc cups is required for GM. 200cc TT doesn't matter for anything

Cindro

Why is beating all the time trial ghosts so much fun? Especially when you smoke them by 7+ seconds. So satisfying.
Is there a guide to optimal kart parts to use for time trials? I've struggled pretty hard with my main setup - I've three starred every GP mode sans some of the final 200cc cups I still have to knock out, so I'm at least a *decent* player, but even when drifting constantly/never veering off track/using the mushrooms for shortcuts there are still plenty of ghosts that beat me over and over again.

I'm either missing some secret shortcuts, or my kart isn't well-suited for the task at hand.

Firebrand

Maintenance, woo.

Also I'm repeating myself, but goddamn, they need to patch item cycle thing. Super fun to not get an item for the last part of the final lap when all the other kids do, lol.

Firebrand

I thought Mario Kart was peer-to-peer after match making. But if it goes down mid race, that suggests otherwise. Has Mario Kart always been server hosted?

I can't imagine actual races are running on dedicated servers, since connections are so flakey. Seems it doesn't like getting disconnected from the backend servers though.

I can't imagine actual races are running on dedicated servers, since connections are so flakey. Seems it doesn't like getting disconnected from the backend servers though.

Yeah I just did some research and Reddit says it's still peer-to-peer. Surprised it would go down midrace then during server maintenance instead of between races, but I guess it has to maintain the connect to bring new players in as spectators

OmegaFax

Now this is interesting. I thought Mario Kart was peer-to-peer after match making. Has it always been server side?

To be honest, I have no idea. I guess it's server side.

Qg3nN5Sl.png

Edit: The first online game I for the Switch was Puyo Puyo Tetris and there were two or three notifications that appeared warning me about the maintenance and it let me continue through whatever match I was in before it really went down.

I guess the connections are P2P. It makes sense that Nintendo hands the connection over and whatnot and people join or leave the match.

mstevens

I've given up on 3 staring 150 cc. 4 straight attempts in a row doing the Special cup, winning the first 3 races, and then getting blasted on the final turn of rainbow road. I can't handle that stress anymore.

edit: ah the old gaf reverse jinx. Won rainbow road this time by the skin of my teeth.

I feel like my racer combo isn't jiving well with me. I never used to play with heavy characters, but I hear they're good in this game so I'm trying Donkey Kong, F Zero cart, Sponge tires, and Hylian Kite. He feels really slippery to me. Is there a more optimal setup, at least for clearing 150 cc?

Top Bottom