• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Eh.. I can't stand normal items. It's one of the main reasons why I don't like to play WW as much as frantic.

Even I'd dare to say normal is more prone to have random stuff hitting you than frantic.

Plus, we don't really play to see "who's the best" we're beyond that part me thinks. We play to screw people over HARD lol

Same here.

Yes, I agreed with you. Also Normal races usually have more green shells in the wild. Sometime I felt that normal races is too tame and boring for me for many reasons. If I recalled correctly, Frantic mode's item distribution is exactly same as Classic Mario Kart's item distribution, awhile Normal item distribution is pretty new system right?

That's my game too, Roo. Screwing other people pretty hard is very satisfying comparing to winning the races.

Roo

Same here.

Yes, I agreed with you. Also Normal races usually have more green shells in the wild. Sometime I felt that normal races is too tame and boring for me for many reasons. If I recalled correctly, Frantic mode's item distribution is exactly same as Classic Mario Kart's item distribution, awhile Normal item distribution is pretty new system right?

That's my game too, Roo. Screwing other people pretty hard is very satisfying comparing to winning the races.

I wouldn't say it's exactly the same but it's the closest thing we'll get.
Anyway, I don't think Jorge's idea is bad by any means but there's a reason why frantic became the go-to mode since launch.

DaBoss

And it's not like the good players don't finish at the top consistently in Frantic either. Probably not as consist as normal races, but still consistent.

Roo, ffdgh, Hypno, Gattuso, and etc. are typically in the top half, most of the time in the top 3.

Not trying to throw shade at anyone, sorry if it comes off that way.

Also, blue shells are just less common than they are in MK7.

And I kinda prefer doing normal races in WWs cause it can increase my VR unlike a tournament.

ffdgh

...What happened? :O
Late but ironically, royal raceway happened lol.

I'm cool with regular rooms or world wide since I do it all the time. Being completely honest, I'd rather be screwed over by frantic items since I'd be likely to actually catch up unlike getting screwed over by "Mario kart" in normal mode's wonky item distribution where lower places get shells and 2nd place gets triple reds. Bonus that max speed doesn't mean a thing if you're slow as heck.

Besides, many of us are around the same skill level anyway. Frantic give everyone else a possible shot at tirst...especially heath and his bill hax >_>.

jorgejjvr

Oh well. I guess I really am alone on this one, no one seems to embrace my idea. That's cool I guess, I will still be on to play with you guys :) it just seems that I am the only one that prefers normal and has no problems with the item distribution, it is what it is I guess. I am hoping some people will be interested in Normal with 200cc since it looks like it will be quite chaotic already. Anyways, if anyone ever changes their mind and want to do some normal or WW, just know I will always be down for that, or if the idea of a once in awhile normal tourney catches on. I also think I manage to stay on the top most of the time in Frantic, last night even I was top 5ish very common, including getting first a couple of times, seconds and thirds, granted I only played for a bit (then disconnected). Still, it is my opinion that normal can be such as fun, a bit better and more consistent for competition, and it is pretty balanced there (my thoughts), I lose interest faster in frantic because of the randomness. Regardless, guess I'll see you guys tonight in Frantic :)

PS: I found out that frantic was a thing when I joined Gaf. In my personal life no one ever touched frantic, even on other forums I've been frantic was not considered serious. I had joined countless tourneys and there were all normal. So I've always been shocked at the love for frantic in gaf. Hope that's understandable

I want to reach 15K before DLC2 so I'll likely be doing a bunch of WWs soon when Frantic isn't going. Slightly above 12K right now I believe.

I mean, Roo and ffdgh are both above 20K IIRC so it's not like we never do WWs or anything. But Frantic is fun and you can't get Frantic from WWs.

NNID: PreyingShark

ingame I go by Nathan since changing Mii's is way too much effort.

EDIT: I will say that 1v1s in Frantic can go to hell though. So dumb.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want to reach 15K before DLC2 so I'll likely be doing a bunch of WWs soon when Frantic isn't going. Slightly above 12K right now I believe.

I mean, Roo and ffdgh are both above 20K IIRC so it's not like we never do WWs or anything. But Frantic is fun and you can't get Frantic from WWs.

NNID: PreyingShark

ingame I go by Nathan since changing Mii's is way too much effort.

Yes, you can get frantic in WWs.

Besides, many of us are around the same skill level anyway. Frantic give everyone else a possible shot at tirst...especially heath and his bill hax >_>.

Hey! Hey! I'm wounded! I have seen some people getting more bullet bills than I actually did! :p

P.S. I actually won some races without bullet bills.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You know damn well that we aren't talking about customs. >_>

EDIT: Or maybe you didn't. Anyways, when people say WWs they typically aren't counting customs.

Oh I see. When I went to WW, I set up Frantic mode + 150cc and I got some people coming in. I don't remember if we actually earn points or not.

webkatt

I'm going to get murdered in 200CC....

Sorry guys I've been meaning to play some more but I'm so lazy from work lately.

J@hranimo

Banned
I can't wait to race on RR in 200cc and fly off every other sharp turn! I'll die a little on the inside when I get a mushroom too! lol

ffdgh

It occours to me many of the shortcuts(Cloudtop, sweet sweet canyon, twomp ruins etc.) will essentally have to be relearned for 200cc. That's going to go so well lol.

It occours to me many of the shortcuts(Cloudtop, sweet sweet canyon, twomp ruins etc.) will essentally have to be relearned for 200cc. That's going to go so well lol.
I'm looking forward to mastering this stupid fucking shortcut and then having to relearn it for 200cc.

At least with 4 accel, at certain hand positions you can cheese the shortcut by briefly letting go of the accelerator.

Roo

I can't wait to race on RR in 200cc and fly off every other sharp turn! I'll die a little on the inside when I get a mushroom too! lol
SNES Rainbow Road is going to be a fun ride.
Maybe we will be able to take the last ramp without choosing one of the sides behind the Thwomps this time lol

I only did it for the thingy you get

Usually you won't even see the ghosts though. Only reason I know about this one is because I watched it because I was bored.

Roo

It would be better if they save any trailer for launch week. I mean, we're 2 weeks away anyway. Save it til the end to make a great trailer a la Link reveal alongside several trailers for each track and their respective music video.

ChrisD

I think if they had any more trailers to show they would have done so in the Direct. The tracks may be staying under wraps until release this time.

Top Bottom