• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
But another Mario and peach is silly, imo, since this time it's just them in different clothes, at least the metal varients seemed like doppelgangers or something. I would've rather seen Birdo and Nabbit in their place. Another guy and girl midweight character, a vet returning and a newcomer from a recent game

Nabbit being in this game is the biggest omission, imo. Well, him and Bowser Jr., but he got Smash. Dude's already playable in a mainline Mario (er...Luigi) title by his second appearance, he deserves to be in Mario Kart. King Boo is another weird omission since it'd go perfect since LM2 just came out.

Not sure why people are so opposed to the series opening up to non-Mario franchises. The track design possibilities seem wonderfully endless if they were to do so.

Mario Kart 8 did some awesome course-work with areas completely made up from thin air, and I think some people just like the simplicity of it being Mario-only. I can understand people being apprehensive about messing with the formula.

I think the best option would be for Nintendo to evenly split it, make half the characters and courses Mario and Mario Kart-style locations, while the other half are guest characters, and Nintendo-themed courses. And stick to the Nintendo characters that don't feel as off when paired with Mario in a Mario-centric game. Link? OK, more so if it was Toon Link though honestly. But I think it'd be weird seeing Captain Falcon or Marth appear in-person as a driver.

I think tracks like Dragon Driftway present a pretty convincing argument in favor of the kinds of neat tracks that can be made when keeping things (more or less) franchise-neutral.

imo, the way things are being handled with this game is pretty good as is, with other Nintendo franchises being included, but as special guests.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think tracks like Dragon Driftway present a pretty convincing argument in favor of the kinds of neat tracks that can be made when keeping things (more or less) franchise-neutral.

imo, the way things are being handled with this game is pretty good as is, with other Nintendo franchises being included, but as special guests.

Not going to lie, that being a Murasame-themed level would have ruled though. Imagine Mario Kart 8's rendition of the Murasame Castle theme.

Not going to lie, that being a Murasame-themed level would have ruled though. Imagine Mario Kart 8's rendition of the Murasame Castle theme.

If they made it Mysterious Murasame Castle themed, I feel like people would've complained about how it has nothing to do with the original game, lol. It'd feel kinda arbitrary.

Nintendo doesn't really have much in the way of Chinese-esque aesthetics. Like, what even is there? Young Cricket in WarioWare? Chai Kingdom from Mario Land?

Shun

Kirbywheelie.jpg

Please make this a one wheeled bike.

Add Warp Star and Dragoon karts as well. We don't need to play as Kirby but please carts.

Eiolon

After playing all the new courses, I am going to be honest and say I am a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed getting some more variety and the price was really good. But when you sell DLC with a "Triforce" cup, you should actually have 4 Zelda themed tracks. There would be plenty of options, such as a Death Mountain track that would be similar to Mount Wario, or racing through the Lost Woods, Lake Hylia, Gerudo Valley, Hyrule Field, etc. Like-wise, there should have been an F-Zero cup with 4 tracks since the chance of having a dedicated game is going to be slim.

Whoa whoa whoa hold on....

I just 3-starred 150cc for the Egg Cup and it has 100cc and 50cc as 3-starred too. Was this always the case in the game or is this new with the DLC?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Dragon Driftway is not kind to inside drift at all. I can take the turns without crashing now, but I always end up way on the outside of the track.

Top Bottom