• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Seik

Banned
I ate, changed my clothes to fit the context.

Currently installing the update.

BRING IT GAF! :D

CZyrA9X.jpg

Fandangox

After F-Zero GX, it's so weird to see an HD version of the F-Zero world in the SNES style rather than the GX style. I loved GX, but I have to say that what Nintendo has pulled off here is quite masterful. It really feels like the old-school F-Zero in 3D HD.

Yeah. I also like the X styled artwork seeing in the billboards. I love this track.

Ninty pls make a new one ;-;

ChrisD

When you try the same shortcut two times and fail, you'd think that maybe stopping would be a good idea. Nah, I'll just try a third time and fail it then too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
First time I've played the game since release Month...

The new courses are great, sadly with Smash coming out, and a pile of other games I need to finish beforehand, I doubt I'll really play much of this till the next DLC hits. Maybe Nintendo will bump it up due to positive reception. :)

Have to say, I really hope Dragon Driftway, the setting for it, is used in a new Mario Platformer. Imagine that in 3D World 2.

Watch Da Birdie

It's truly a thing of beauty. Animal Crossing characters riding Bikes will be the next greatest thing.

Animal Crossing Wii U letting you ride (pedal-power) bikes would be a pretty cool feature, hope Nintendo takes note.

Finally got a chance to sit down and play, I guess quick thoughts on the tracks

GCN Yoshi Circuit: Well it sure is Yoshi Circuit from Double Dash, probably the "worst" dlc track simply because this is now the 3rd time we've done GCN Yoshi Circuit and it feels kind of like a throw away. Not saying it's a bad course to race on, I just wish they had gone with another DD course that hasn't been remade or done more to take advantage of MK8's new features.

Excitebike Arena: This is a really fun course, might even be my favorite in this DLC 1 pack. I love how it's a faithful recreation of the original Excitebike with every single object from that game brought to life. It feels unlike any other Mario Kart track as it should and really sticks out from the crowd.

Dragon Driftway: Good but not great track, love the music and the design, but it just doesn't click with me. I still prefer it to Yoshi's Circuit but for one of the two new traditional Mario Kart tracks it's disappointing. I feel like with the theme of racing on a dragons back you could have done more.

Mute City: This is a blast to play, love the coin strip and the high sense of speed this track gives off. Only thing it's missing is a tube/half pipe section but that's a really minor nit pick. Nintendo PLZ make a new F-Zero!

Wii Wario's Gold Mine: I miss the half pipes from MK Wii, feels like the course is missing something when I play on it. Also not a big fan of the change to the jump in the cave part feels like you made a mistake for a moment until the world realigns and you keep going. Again not a bad retro track but I feel there were better retro ones they could have picked.

SNES Rainbow Road: Just seeing this compared to the SNES version makes my mouth drop, love how they updated this keeping the challenge of the original while adding in new MK8 features that belong and don't feel forced.

Ice Ice Outpost: For an ice themed level it's weird the only ice parts are in the optional short cut. Other then that it's a fantastic track and may even be my favorite of the whole DLC. Love the twisting track that you can often jump between, love the technical shortcut, and just have a lot of fun racing on it.

Hyrule Circuit: While it's not the most exciting track lay out the added Zelda touches really make it work for me, the rupees, sound effects, puzzle short cut, deku babas, and music really make me feel like I'm racing in the mushroom kingdom.

Really great DLC pack, looking forward to pack 2 next year

GWX

Was playing with the pro controller on the TV, and then people came in wanting to watch TV. Grabbed the Gamepad and figured "oh well, let's switch to this thing". But it turns out it doesn't switch seamlessly, and you actually have to exit the online room to switch :( After that, well, I'm going to get dinner. Bye GAF!

Weetrick

Was playing with the pro controller on the TV, and then people came in wanting to watch TV. Grabbed the Gamepad and figured "oh well, let's switch to this thing". But it turns out it doesn't switch seamlessly, and you actually have to exit the online room to switch :( After that, well, I'm going to get dinner. Bye GAF!

I hate this! Hope they can patch it like they did with the "watch replay" button after matches.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't know how I feel about a "Nintendo Kart" still, part of me would enjoy, but part of me wants the series to stay basically Mario, with a few cameos here and there. Link and Mario have always been close, so he's not that off-feeling, nor is the Animal Crossing guys, and F-Zero and Excitebike are basically dead at this point, or "retro", so this is the only exposure they get outside Smash, but anything more than that might feel a bit weird.

Part of me is a bit disappointed more of the DLC wasn't dedicated to new Mario characters who deserve to get it. Where's Captain Toad? Nabbit? Birdo? Kamek? E. Gadd? There's a lot of faces I'd love to see as DLC before dipping into the extended Nintendo line-up. Honestly, though, I mainly want to see a Diddy Kong Racing-style Zelda game, with adventure elements added into the game as opposed to Mario Kart's straight-up style.

I really appreciate the way the Mute City track feels like a blend of Mute City's appearances in every (console) F-Zero game. While the general palette, road design, and building shapes are very SNES, it has the X refueling noise, character artwork and rotating signs, and very GX-esque holographic signage, some with text practically taken directly from GX. It's really neat.

Honestly, this is exactly the kind of F-Zero content I only wish we could get in Smash Bros, lol.

ghibli99

Not sure why people are so opposed to the series opening up to non-Mario franchises. The track design possibilities seem wonderfully endless if they were to do so.

Pizza

My only big gripe about Mario kart's dlc at this point is yet another Mario and peach. I was cool with three of each of them, sure pink gold peach was a bit of a stretch but having the series mascots in each weight class was pretty cool.

But another Mario and peach is silly, imo, since this time it's just them in different clothes, at least the metal varients seemed like doppelgangers or something. I would've rather seen Birdo and Nabbit in their place. Another guy and girl midweight character, a vet returning and a newcomer from a recent game

Top Bottom