• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

The shortcut on Yoshi Circuit is easy. You're probably going to fail the first time because there's no way you could see that coming, but after that you know that you have to drift into it. Very good shortcut too.

Ice Outpost has three shortcuts I believe, and if I recall if you choose the first one it'll drop you off right after the second one so you have to choose between the two. The second one is just an easy drop to the right like halfway through the level. Third one is right before the finish line and is pretty risky. First one you have to drift off to the right; feels like the second shortcut is better.

Why did they have to make defense with triple items so dumb. I just had a banana hit me through triple reds.

Yeah, it's kind of weird how having one banana/green shell is preferable to having three. Three red shells is best of the game though; no complaining when you get that.

Trying that shortcut for the first time online was a terrible idea -_-

Play through all the levels in time attack first; easy way to try out all the shortcuts. And looking at the store names on Yoshi Circuit while at it.

So no one else is having issues uploading youtube replays I take it?

Never even tried; don't see the point myself.

ffdgh

First one you just gotta take wide.

As you land from that one, start a right-facing drift, hold left, release, and then you should be aligned for the next one.

For the final one you also just gotta take it wide.

Translation: Avoind doing them online. Gotcha /s

Griss

When you get a moment everyone should go watch a replay on each of the new tracks in slow motion to get a grasp of just how much incidental detail Nintendo has stuffed into each one.

F-Zero, in particular, is stunning. I saw a flowing river, a desert area, Helipads and Biodomes on top of skyscrapers, jets flying in formation, a ringed moon, and all kinds of interesting buildings. Also a "Show me your moves" Captain Falcon billboard as well as rotating billboard featuring F-Zero ships.

Not only that, but the replay camera angles Nintendo chooses are inspired, brilliantly framing your character and the track itself with the background, and usually orienting the camera to gravity so that you can see just how upside-down you really are, which you can't tell while racing, obviously.

This game is ludicrously good. Makes me sad that this might be the all-time peak of MK. It might not get any better than this, it really mightn't.

Griss

I'm racing on the F-Zero track... I'm sad now.

After F-Zero GX, it's so weird to see an HD version of the F-Zero world in the SNES style rather than the GX style. I loved GX, but I have to say that what Nintendo has pulled off here is quite masterful. It really feels like the old-school F-Zero in 3D HD.

Raptomex

After F-Zero GX, it's so weird to see an HD version of the F-Zero world in the SNES style rather than the GX style. I loved GX, but I have to say that what Nintendo has pulled off here is quite masterful. It really feels like the old-school F-Zero in 3D HD.
The music isn't bad either.

Top Bottom