• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Roo

I have the ipad by me today haha
I see haha
You should post more. You're a rather silent guy. Sometimes I wonder what crosses your mind when you get item raped :O

The track picking RNG hates that track.

One time in WW there were eleven Yoshi Circuit votes and one for Grumble Volcano. I don't think I need to say which track got picked...
Grumble Volcano >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yoshi Circuit
Even the game knows that.

I didn't see who stopped between the first two thowmps with a horn and blasted everyone on the first lap.......that was hilarious hahahahah

Grumble Volcano's jump cuts require shrooms. Yoshi Circuit does not so you can do them every lap. Therefore, Yoshi Circuit is superior.

Seriously though, GV is indeed a good track, but when that happened I hadn't played Yoshi Circuit online yet because it never got picked. At least it didn't pick like SNES RR because fuck that track.

I see haha
You should post more. You're a rather silent guy. Sometimes I wonder what crosses your mind when you get item raped :O

Well, I've been "Gaf banged" so often in this game I've come to love it ;p

3 starred both circuits in 150CC, and Mirror Mode, beat all the staff ghost times, and played a bunch of games online, thought I'd share my opinions of this DLC with you folks, now I've had enough time to enjoy and learn each track.

Rainbow Road (SNES):- Wouldn't have been my first choice of the SNES tracks to include in the DLC, but it's a solid pick. It's basically the MK7 version of the same track but with a ton more visual polish, and some adder flare. The much more generous width of the roads in this version make it a heck of a lot less frustrating than the SNES original. Also love how the thwomp's pounding has a much more drastic effect on the tracks stability than the 3DS version. Kind of encourages you to straighten up, as turning while the track sways can throw you around a little! Also love how each pair of thwomp's take turns hitting the track so you have to look ahead to judge which half of the road is safer. Kind of like the lightning storm on Cloudtop Cruise.

Yoshi Circuit (GCN):- In my opinion the most difficult track in the series, but it's easily one of my favourites. Out of all the Double Dash tracks to bring over to MK8 this was my most wanted, and it more than makes up for the dissapointment of Sherbert Land, and Dry Dry Desert. The whole track is a drifter's dreams, full of both long, and short curved turns and nary a straight stretch of road in sight, an interesting early shortcut that requires skill to pull off effectively, and a really unconventional track layout compared to the majority of the series maps. I absolutely adore it, and in terms of throwback tracks, it's easily MK8's best. The inclusion of this track along makes the first DLC pack worth it for me.

Wario's Gold Mine (Wii):- A solid pick from the game that, in my opinion, easily has the best overall track variety of any of the MK games. Not much really had to be fixed to make this fit in with the rest of MK8's track roster, and apart from the visual upgrade, nothing's been added really. Fun track to drive around, with a neat hidden boost pad to find on one of the track's earlier corners, and an alternative path later on, in the minecart section towards the end. I do miss the half-pipe right at the end though, but due to the game not having them in the first place, it's understandable why they took it out. The weakest of the throwback tracks, but by no means a bad track. Toad's Factory or Mushroom Gorge would've been better picks in my opinion.

Mute City (NEW):- Fantastic piece of fan-service to F-Zero fans like myself (By the way, get to work on a new one Ninty!) Only other track apart from MK8's Rainbow Road that's constantly in anti-grav mode to my knowledge. The theming of the track is spot on. Striking a nice balance between MK8's own style, and that of the F-Zero games as well. Also love that no matter where you are on the track, there's always something to give you a boost of speed, be it F-Zero themed boost pads, or pegs on the cylindrical section of the track about halfway through. The boost charge lanes scattered throughout giving you coins is also another neat addition that just adds to the authenticity of it all, gives you an interesting choice of whether to sacrfice speed off of the boost pads in favour of a more passive speed increase from the coins. Outstanding work.

Excitebike Arena (NEW):- The second game crossover track offers something MK8 has needed since it first came out. A basic loop shaped track that pretty much anyone, new and experienced, can play and get into without being overwhelmed by all of the new stuff MK8 introduces. The random ramp generation each time you play really keeps the map fresh, and on the first lap around the track, it's exciting to take note of what you're flying past so you can improve your performance the second and third time you loop around so you can hit all the right ramps, hit all the speedboosts, and dodge all of the mud puddles, and gain a lead on the competition. The simplistic look of the track works really well in MK8's graphics engine too!

Hyrule Circuit (NEW):- The last of the crossover maps, and the most traditional of the three. Hyrule Circuit has a fairly straight forward layout, but it's the theme, and a few little neat touches that make this one interesting to play through. There's a bunch of open corners that allow for boost shortcuts if you have a mushroom handy, and an interesting little "puzzle" as you head into the foyer of hyrule castle, with some hookshot switches to hit that activates a ramp to jump over the master sword at the centre of the castle that gives you a small boost, and a shortcut. Visually it's another great example of Nintendo balancing out styles from both this game, and the game it crosses over with. Much like Mute City. Weakest of the crossover tracks for me, but still great!

Ice Ice Peak (NEW):- Out of all the new, original tracks, this is easily my favourite. Music is killer, and the track layout is really interesting despite the simple shape of the circuit. Two different coloured roads weave over and under each other, which makes for some unique track navigation as you drop off of one track and onto another, not only does this allow for some interesting experimentation when it comes to figuring out a faster route, but it also makes ambushing people interesting as well as you drop off onto another track to hit an opponent or swap lanes to pursue. A couple of tricky shortcuts too that require you to drift early on on straights to hit ice bergs with boost ramps on them that cut some corners, but with the added risk of falling in the drink if you mis-judge your drift. There's even a sneakily hidden ramp you can find by dropping off the left hand side of the track, after the first shortcut. Easily up there with the best of MK8's original tracks.

Dragon Driftway (NEW):- The concept and design of this track is great. An almost entirely cylindrical track that takes place on the back of Mario Galaxy 2's "Gobbegut" that almost exclusively makes use of the anti-grav, much like Mute City. While the layout of the track is pretty simple, it does have some devishly steep turns to navigate towards the middle of the track, and with the added looseness in handling that anti-grav causes, it can be tricky to predict how early to drift to avoid banging into the barriers as you turn a corner, there's also a fun series of bumps that you hit towards the end that require you to time your hops perfectly to get all 3 stunt boosts as you descend. Love the chinese theme as well, with Lakitu references everywhere.There's also a ramp that you can boost across that cuts a corner early on, and a grassy knoll that can be boosted across near the end to make the last turn shorter. Fits right in with the rest of MK8's track roster.

Hi guys

5xOLQZa.gif

Joining y'all in frantic

If one of you can leave so I can take your place ty

Neiteio

So yeah, I love how Lakitu now has his own course in the form of Dragon Driftway, as made evident by the Lakitu statues and wall-scrolls, the Jugem's Cloud on the flags at the finish line, etc. An oriental shrine featuring an ouroboros Gobblegut -- who would've thought! :)

Metal Mario will always be GOAT in MK8. DK is funniest though. Link is just weird in MK.

I agree on the Link thing somewhat....it's strange.

So yeah, I love how Lakitu now has his own course in the form of Dragon Driftway, as made evident by the Lakitu statues and wall-scrolls, the Jugem's Cloud on the flags at the finish line, etc. An oriental shrine featuring an ouroboros Gobblegut -- who would've thought! :)

Def love this level's design!

Prototype

There's a reason if i use always bike suit Rosalina.

Lol! Me too! Hahahhahah. I can't stand her mumu dress. The bike suit tho... She just looks so good leaning over a sports bike, platinum blonde hair waving in the wind, the sparkle of her silver crown glinting in the eyes of the losers behind her.

Top Bottom