• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

keit4

Banned
The DLC is mostly great but the Excitebike Arena and the SNES Rainbow Road are boring tracks. The best thing about it are the little details in the FZero and Zelda tracks.

Grizzo

The DLC is mostly great but the Excitebike Arena and the SNES Rainbow Road are boring tracks. The best thing about it are the little details in the FZero and Zelda tracks.

Excitebike Arena is the best and funniest track of the whole DLC for me

So much chaos, just like Baby Park

octopiggy

I actually love Rainbow Road. Something about tracks with lots of right-angles just feel so good to me. Plus it really showcases the gorgeous lighting.

edit: That Sunshine Airport was carnage!

Roo

Seeing as Gamexplain themselves said it was probably fake, seems like it's probably fake.

But Neo Bowser City would look awesome in HD

I don't take anything for granted that comes from Andre and co since their videos are usually polluted with "I think" "maybe" "who knows" instead of real facts.
Plus, I wanted to know the source anyway since it was the first time I heard about this "rumor".

Grizzo

10 people pick snes rainbow road, one picks other.
Edit: this was the dlc room so yeah. Why you guys do that?

haha, what do you mean?

Just because it's a DLC room doesn't mean we need to race on DLC tracks all the time

Racing on the same track three times in less than 20 minutes feels kinda boring

Prototype

Bike suits are the one reason I want to learn bikes, but I just fucking can't handle them; learning tilt controls is easier.

I used to play karts only and hated bikes in mk wii. But in 8 I started with bikes and now I can't play karts anymore lol.

I spent a bit of time messing around with various setups. I have sets for time trials (speed focus), normal rooms (slight speed focus) and frantic rooms (balance focus) and it's been working well for me.

As much as I like the master cycle, the lack of acceleration kills it for me in frantic. I need that acceleration. And from what I read acceleration stat works in even amounts or does nothing, i.e 2.0, 3.0 ect. For frantic I like having at least 3 acceleration. I would love a 4 speed, 4 acceleration setup but with rosalina and a bike I don't think it's possible. I'd have to play another character and possibly use a kart.

Also I have to like how it looks or its a no go. Sometime when I'm messing about I'll put monster tires on a bike because I think it looks awesome. It just ends up sacking stat wise. :(

if we don't get ribbon road in DLC pack 2 i swear to god

all the cool super circuit tracks will forever be in the shadows of the circuit tracks and bowser's castles :(

Azure J

I used to play karts only and hated bikes in mk wii. But in 8 I started with bikes and now I can't play karts anymore lol.
[...]

Also I have to like how it looks or its a no go. Sometime when I'm messing about I'll put monster tires on a bike because I think it looks awesome. It just ends up sacking stat wise. :(

All of this. My first real setup that I ran with just because it looked incredible thematically was Rosalina (Sky Blue) + Sport Bike (Orange) + Retro Off Roaders (White) + MKTV Parafoil. As much as putting Slicks on the bike made it as competitive a bike/character combination as I was going to get in an era post firehopping bans, I kinda miss the color scheme of my og setup. :lol

Azure J

if we don't get ribbon road in DLC pack 2 i swear to god

all the cool super circuit tracks will forever be in the shadows of the circuit tracks and bowser's castles :(

I've been aching for a Ribbon Road that actually floats in the breeze like a decorative ribbon and bends a la Mario Circuit/Dragon Driftway for years. Cheese Land (dat music), Rainbow Road and Bowser's Castle 4 could turn into AMAZING tracks too.

Roo

I spent a bit of time messing around with various setups. I have sets for time trials (speed focus), normal rooms (slight speed focus) and frantic rooms (balance focus) and it's been working well for me.

As much as I like the master cycle, the lack of acceleration kills it for me in frantic. I need that acceleration. And from what I read acceleration stat works in even amounts or does nothing, i.e 2.0, 3.0 ect. For frantic I like having at least 3 acceleration. I would love a 4 speed, 4 acceleration setup but with rosalina and a bike I don't think it's possible. I'd have to play another character and possibly use a kart.

You sound like me when I first bought the game.
I used to think Standard ATV+ Monster Tires + Standard Glider was GOAT
then I saw the stats and my dreams shattered like glass.

Prototype

All of this. My first real setup that I ran with just because it looked incredible thematically was Rosalina (Sky Blue) + Sport Bike (Orange) + Retro Off Roaders (White) + MKTV Parafoil. As much as putting Slicks on the bike made it as competitive a bike/character combination as I was going to get in an era post firehopping bans, I kinda miss the color scheme of my og setup. :lol

I used cyber slicks sometimes on the sports bike but I don't like how they look that much. I've found the slim tires to be almost as fast and the extra traction can help on icy/muddy tracks like shy guy falls, yoshi for example. Being able to take those turns easier is sometimes worth the slight speed sacrifice.

Also, since it's a pain to change setups I try to use something that will cover most tracks, even if it's not optimal for any single one.

I don't take anything for granted that comes from Andre and co since their videos are usually polluted with "I think" "maybe" "who knows" instead of real facts.

Which I appreciate about them. They usually make it pretty clear whether something's a fact, opinion, or pure speculation

Strange question, can you play Mario Kart Wii online using Dolphin?

I don't think so since Nintendo's Wii servers were disabled, unless someone made their own?

I'm with Grizzo, in that the DLC tracks are suppose to be an addition to the ones we already had, not replacements. We all love Mute City and Hyrule Cicuit, but you don't need to vote for it every single time it shows up if we did it twice in the last hour. There are 40 tracks in the game now, most of them very good actually. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz

jnWake

If the base game didn't do it already, the DLC really proves how cool of an addition the antigravity is. Mute City and Dragon Driftway would be much less interesting if the game didn't have antigravity mechanics.

I hope the concept stays for the future of the franchise.

I've been aching for a Ribbon Road that actually floats in the breeze like a decorative ribbon and bends a la Mario Circuit/Dragon Driftway for years. Cheese Land (dat music), Rainbow Road and Bowser's Castle 4 could turn into AMAZING tracks too.

At least if the trend keeps up, Mario Kart 9 should be getting GBA Rainbow Road, lol

Super Circuit just has some cool, really unique track aesthetics so it's kinda a shame that they keep going for the generic circuit tracks and Bowser's Castle (without going for 4, which is by far the most interesting). I'd definitely love to see Ribbon Road or Cheese Land show up in the next DLC or a future game. At least we got Sky Garden in DS, I guess!

If the base game didn't do it already, the DLC really proves how cool of an addition the antigravity is. Mute City and Dragon Driftway would be much less interesting if the game didn't have antigravity mechanics.

Agreed; it really allows for some unique track designs

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Stop, Stop! Don't get our expectation too high for DLC2. :p

Ribbon Road or Cheese Land tracks would be amazing to see in HD

Azure J

I honestly felt this way from the first time I played GAF on Mario Circuit and Rainbow Road 8/64 specifically. There's just something about the idea of your biggest in game rival also becoming your best frenemy when antigrav sections kick in and you're now bump boosting off one another for long chains and overtaking large numbers of people in the process.

Seeing entire levels being made out of the stuff though has really kicked the idea into "classic" territory.

@The Bankslammer: After playing Cloudtop Cruise the first time, I swear Sky Garden got robbed being a retro course on the DS version. :lol

Grizzo

I'm with Grizzo, in that the DLC tracks are suppose to be an addition to the ones we already had, not replacements. We all love Mute City and Hyrule Cicuit, but you don't need to vote for it every single time it shows up if we did it twice in the last hour. There are 40 tracks in the game now, most of them very good actually. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz

Exactly, so I hope y'all are gonna vote for Toad's Turnpike next time you get the chance to do it
don't actually do that please

I used to be PGP, and then I found that I could play as Fat Albert. FA > PGP.

what does PGP mean outside of maybe Pretty Gross Princess?

There really does need to be more Super Circuit tracks. Isn't GBA Mario Circuit the only one that got a retro track in this game?

Agreed.

ChrisD

After playing Frantic with a fresh mindset rather than 40 hours of "normal" play... Yeah, Frantic is so much better. Pack leading is hilarious, and I'm still of the opinion that firehopping is pretty dumb. Meanwhile, frantic does away with both issues.

Azure J

I'm really so upset at how Toad's Turnpike turned out in everything but level aesthetics/visual touches. That track should have been one of the most tense and Mario Kart™ levels ever. Instead they fuck the whole concept over by making the whole track the size of an Xbox One and traffic slow as fuck. Even the cool little touches like the ramp trucks don't get utilized because everyone's just hugging the corners for 30 seconds straight then going to the other corner and holding it for the other 30 seconds of the lap. :(

They really should have stuck to three hyper condensed lanes, cars/trucks that actually take up the full width of the lane they're in and made them faster.

Exactly, so I hope y'all are gonna vote for Toad's Turnpike next time you get the chance to do it
don't actually do that please

what does PGP mean outside of maybe Pretty Gross Princess?

Pink
Fool's
Gold Peach

Also, while we're still talking stages, what are the courses that surprise you most in both how competitive and fun they can be playing with GAFcc?

I'd say my top three post DLC are Yoshi Circuit, Grumble Volcano and Mario Circuit GBA

Grizzo

So gooooood

Seriously I use to listen to select this track on time trial just to listen to the music with my headphones

I love all the tracks on Super Circuit, they were all really good looking. I hope they're gonna bring one of them back for the 2nd DLC pack (I also can't wait for it to come out)

ChrisD

Jonny is my little niece. So if anyone starts wondering what the * Peach is doing... You know the answer. :p

Edit: nvm, not anymore

Top Bottom