• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

- Animal Crossing: again, a beautiful track but boring layout. Love the details during the different seasons.
In 200cc it's actually surprisingly challenging to drive through quickly due to having a couple of super sharp turns, which are a pain in the ass in 200cc. You also have to dodge the logs in that one section instead of tricking off of them like you might in 150cc.

And don't even get me started on the possible layout that has ramps in all the wrong spots (Spring I think?). Winter is also a horrible season due to low traction and snowmen in horrible positions.

...And yet we pick this track all the time anyways because it's a lot of fun. Definitely one of those tracks that benefits a ton from 200cc. Wild Woods also benefits a lot from 200cc but that is because it's one of the few tracks that feels like it was designed specifically for 200cc. It just feels so fucking good in 200.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What just happened?

What reality is this?

I just won on Music Park.

Hell, I was near the front the entire time despite missing half the item boxes.

Neo Dark

3 golden mushrooms back to back. Yup. I'm done with this piece of junk. I never really liked it in 150 cc and hate it in 200 cc. They should just get rid of it

3 golden mushrooms back to back. Yup. I'm done with this piece of junk. I never really liked it in 150 cc and hate it in 200 cc. They should just get rid of it

Because you don't like it?

200cc for me is a great reason to pop this game in the system again. Haven't played it since last year.

Neo Dark

Because you don't like it?

200cc for me is a great reason to pop this game in the system again. Haven't played it since last year.
What are you reading? 200 cc is great. I'm just ranting about how bad the golden mushrooms is lol. At least offer an option to throw it away

Dry Dry Desert is probably the only track that's still absolute gutter trash in 200cc

I actually really enjoy GCN Dry Dry Desert now. For starters, the Mushroom item is an absolute beast in cutting corners, ESPECIALLY the Golden Mushroom. What's more, there's enough momentum to skip parts of the level without a mushroom. Take the first S bend for instance. With enough momentum, you can drive over the deep sand and hop off the pillars. This both saves time and makes it easier to maneuver.

We have to look at every level with a new perspective. Racing lines that once worked are now inefficient, while paths that didn't work without a boost can be easily accomplished. And sometimes, less is more.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I actually really enjoy GCN Dry Dry Desert now. For starters, the Mushroom item is an absolute beast in cutting corners, ESPECIALLY the Golden Mushroom. What's more, there's enough momentum to skip parts of the level without a mushroom. Take the first S bend for instance. With enough momentum, you can drive over the deep sand and hop off the pillars. This both saves time and makes it easier to maneuver.

We have to look at every level with a new perspective. Racing lines that once worked are now inefficient, while paths that didn't work without a boost can be easily accomplished. And sometimes, less is more.

Maybe it's my setup, but doing anything off road is still as bad as ever.

Roo

You can do the Shy Guy Falls shortcut without a mushroom now.

Maybe it's my setup, but doing anything off road is still as bad as ever.

What setup do you use? I'm experimenting with Isabelle, Streetle, Slims, and Paper Glider.

I find you can "bounce" off a rough surface onto a shortcut "jump" to maintain your momentum. You might need the help of a drift boost though. The best place to practice is the final shortcut in Wild Woods, which no longer needs a mushroom. I'll see if I can record a video at some point to help describe what I mean.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What setup do you use? I'm experimenting with Isabelle, Streetle, Slims, and Paper Glider.

I find you can "bounce" off a rough surface onto a shortcut "jump" to maintain your momentum. You might need the help of a drift boost though. The best place to practice is the final shortcut in Wild Woods, which no longer needs a mushroom. I'll see if I can record a video at some point to help describe what I mean.

I use Waluigi/Sport Bike/Slicks/Parachute.

For reference, I tried the shortcut on Wild Woods earlier without a boost and couldn't make the jump. The grass just slowed me down too much.

Mory Dunz

I'm really liking Wild Woods on 200cc.

You have to adjust and brake a little bit, but not all that much so you're just really racing with a nice flow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I use Waluigi/Sport Bike/Slicks/Parachute.

For reference, I tried the shortcut on Wild Woods earlier without a boost and couldn't make the jump. The grass just slowed me down too much.

I could make the jump as waluigi using the ship/wooden tires

Top Bottom