• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

Rezbit

Got home a bit late after work my time to get any games in with you guys! Hopefully tomorrow. Unless anyone is playing a bit later?

Enforced

Oh yeah I wanted to upload the race on animal cross track where I get hit alot on the end. But the MKTV doesn't show it. The only part they show is when roo squashed me.

correojon

I´m thinking of changing my current setup for 200cc:
Metal Mario/Link - Standard bike - Triforce tires - Animal Crossing Glider

I´m unable to control this in 200cc in tracks like New Bowser City and I have never paid any attention to stats, so I am terribly lost as to what changes should I make to perform better at the hell that is 200cc.

Exentryk

I´m thinking of changing my current setup for 200cc:
Metal Mario/Link - Standard bike - Triforce tires - Animal Crossing Glider

I´m unable to control this in 200cc in tracks like New Bowser City and I have never paid any attention to stats, so I am terribly lost as to what changes should I make to perform better at the hell that is 200cc.

Use this calculator to figure out what works better for you. Try to get something with high handling.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
CEGKKRxVIAALVGU.jpg:large

Three starred 200cc at last. Neo Bowser City and that turn before the final stretch is probably my worst bit. Dolphin Shoals's final bit was also quite the pain if you didn't land quite at the right angle. I was quite lucky on the round which I three starred and somehow got a sizeable lead at the end so I could take the last two bends slowly and steadily.

While I haven't fully settled on a vehicle combination for 200c, Daisy with the crimson slims and city tripper served me well in GP mode.

jts

...hate me...
Three starred 200cc at last. Neo Bowser City and that turn before the final stretch is probably my worst bit. Dolphin Shoals's final bit was also quite the pain if you didn't land quite at the right angle. I was quite lucky on the round which I three starred and somehow got a sizeable lead at the end so I could take the last two bends slowly and steadily.

While I haven't fully settled on a vehicle combination for 200c, Daisy with the crimson slims and city tripper served me well in GP mode.
Nice.

Nintendo should have put a badge in each category label to show how far it has been completed (nothing, bronze, silver, gold, 1-3 stars).

Personally I have only 3 starred the 200cc mushroom cup so far :x

Exentryk

Congrats! Now for your next challenge - GAFcc! :p

Roo

All right. 200cc unlocked. Now to try it out and get my ass handed to me in Grand Prix Mushroom Cup.

Edit: Yep. 6th.

Use a lightweight character and a combo with high acceleration and handling.
City Tripper, Leaf Wheels and cloud glider are a great start.
Speed is not that important as you're already going too fast. Plus, AI is a joke at that speed so it won't be too hard to break the pack if you have some clean lines.
Remember to don't use your items unless it's necessary and slowdown/brake if you think you're about to hit a wall.

In other news, I've read a few comments here and there about how people don't like what Nintendo did to Ribbon Road and Cheese Land claiming they do not resemble their original versions at all. If it weren't because of their names and music, they pretty much could be entirely new nitro tracks.

I somehow agree (especially about Cheese Land) but I also think that with each new Mario Kart game, it's harder to keep the original essence of the oldest tracks intact (NES and GBA) due to their rather simplistic 2D nature and the fact that Nintendo keeps adding new mechanics like gliding, underwater and anti-gravity that require some drastic changes.

Berordn

In other news, I've read a few comments here and there about how people don't like what Nintendo did to Ribbon Road and Cheese Land claiming they do not resemble their original versions at all. If it weren't because of their names and music, they pretty much could be entirely new nitro tracks.

I somehow agree (especially about Cheese Land) but I also think that with each new Mario Kart game, it's harder to keep the original essence of the oldest tracks intact (NES and GBA) due to their rather simplistic 2D nature and the fact that Nintendo keeps adding new mechanics like gliding, underwater and anti-gravity that require some drastic changes.

Well, they're right though I'd say they're wrong to be outraged by it. The layouts still do resemble the original versions, so they've still got that much going for them, but this definitely is the best way to make a reimagining without going the MKDS/Wii/7 route where the remade tracks end up being boring because of the missing feather and changed mechanics.

Besides, Ribbon Road really closely resembles the track image now so creative changes win again.

Overside

Banned
Finally updated mk8 and tried the new goodness.

Very cool levels.

3 starred the mushroom cup at 200cc with wario...

Its become very clear, that if i get the bearings i need to play this mode, there will be no going back...

Roo

Well, they're right though I'd say they're wrong to be outraged by it. The layouts still do resemble the original versions, so they've still got that much going for them, but this definitely is the best way to make a reimagining without going the MKDS/Wii/7 route where the remade tracks end up being boring because of the missing feather and changed mechanics.

Besides, Ribbon Road really closely resembles the track image now so creative changes win again.

I assume people expect to get an updated carbon copy of the original track without messing too much with it.

Wii tracks look updated yet they retain their original self meanwhile GBA tracks went under some severe changes to fit the game's asthetics.
They did an amazing job but for obvious reasons, 2D tracks will be the ones that suffer the most in the 3D transition, more so as stronger consoles and creative freedom open new gates.

ffdgh

Only one or 2 things i somewhat dislike about the 2 gba tracks.

No mousers or moon/space theme for cheese land.
I rather enjoyed ribbon road's old them slightly more .

woopWOOP

Some of the retro tracks are modified to cram in the zero gravity gimmick, so I guess they figured they might aswell overhaul them in other ways too?
Wait, original cheese land had mousers?! ...Oh, the Yoshi Island ones. I have to agree tho, the GBA original's starry background is more pleasing to look at and it's kind of weird they ditched the mice for a bunch of chomp chomp hazards instead.

So anyone playing now/soon? Need to join you guys before all of you fall off my recently played with list.

Roo

Yeah, Ribbon Road's music was iconic. The new one is highly disappointing.
I hate they made the guitar the main instrument instead of the xylophone/marimba like the original song.
I think this is the only case I hate the "Mario Kart 8 treatment"

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about the Mousers in Cheese Land too.
Why they didn't use these guys instead?
SM3DW_Screenshot_Skipsqueak.png

Davey Cakes

I have zero complaints about the new GBA courses. They're just about the best tracks in the newest DLC pack. That's good enough for me. Not going to nitpick music or faithfulness to the original.

Timeaisis

Alright, ladies and gents. Let's talk about technique. I'm not able to play as much as I did when this game first came out, so the learning curve for 200cc is kind of intense for me. The moment I thought it clicked, I got my ass handed to me again. :p

So I just wanted to get some thoughts on what people are using as their techniques for surviving 200cc. Seems to me there's a lot more depth here than just "drift at the right time and use your items wisely" like it is in 150cc. Which, let's be honest, I didn't learn from MK8 and had ingrained in me over years of Mario Karting.

So...drifting and braking obviously are important here. Do you...
1. Brake before starting a tight turn?
2. Brake immediately as you enter a turn?
3. Begin braking in the middle of a sharp turn?

I'm doing like 2 and 3 here, depending, but it's not successful always and sometimes I forget to brake as quickly as I should.

When you "brake drift" do you...
1. Pump the brakes (hit the brake button a lot)?
2. Hold the brake button?
3. Tap the brake button when you feel you are getting off course?

When you inevitably get off course while drifting...
1. Continue holding down accel and try to correct via analog stick?
2. Try to correct with more braking?
3. Let up on the accel because you know your gonna crash into something?

I have a huge issue with getting off course in 200cc. I just can't seem to correct my trajectory and end up falling of the level. I'm wondering if I should slow down or stop accelerating?

If y'all could give me some ideas on how you approach 200cc I'd be super grateful. Presently, I brake, but probably not quick enough. Some courses like Neo Bowser and Dragon Driftway I honestly have no idea how one is supposed to not crash into walls/fall of ledges, so advice for that is welcome as well.

Also, you guys are awesome. I'm sorry I'm so cranky online. :p

I do all of those. It depends on the situation.

Waiting until the apex, or middle, of a turn to brake tends to result in failure, though; you'll often have to brake a lot more than you would if you started braking earlier. Braking in the middle is more of an "oh FUCK I fucked up my line" sort of thing. You also don't want to start braking earlier than you have to because that's a time loss for no benefit.

For the next question it depends on how fast you are going and how much you need to slow down. For example, if you're off an orange MT into a sharp turn, like on NBC, you definitely wanna hold down that B button because tapping isn't enough. You also want to slow down just enough during the first two turns, AKA tapping B at a moderated pace, to exit tightly. This gives you lots of room to take the next turns tightly *and* at high speeds since you can take nice lines if you exit tightly. And of course, for all turns on every course, if you notice you fucked up your line and need to tap B to fix things then you should do so.

For example, you can do that sharp duo of turns at the end of AC without braking, but you need excellent lines for that. If you didn't think you "nailed it", however, then tapping B once or twice will generally allow you to not crash while also not slowing you down too much. But if you do nail it then you can save lots of time by not slowing down and instead just going on at full speed. It's important to know when to brake and when not to. Erring on the side of braking is good to start out with though and then you can lessen up on the brakes like I've been doing in the past couple of days.

Of course, once in a blue moon you will have to let go of the accel because your line is just royally fucked up. This is just learned through experience though.

Top Bottom