• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

Grizzo

Tap the b-button while drifting. Easy as pie once you try it. Well, except for a few curves. And some levels. Like Neo Bowser Bullshit.

It's a matter of practice, really.
I barely touched my Wii U Pro controller since I bought it for Smash. When I found out "brake drifting" was not available for my all-time favorite setup (wii remote+Nunchuk) I was forced to learn how to use the Wii U Pro in a competitive way, all the buttons, the new braking system , all the new tracks + old ones in 200cc and in frantic mode on top of that.

Thank you you guys, I didn't know about that brake drifting move. I can't seem to be zble to pull that off pretty well with the Gamepad though

But practice makes perfect I guess!

Azure J

azure j was a mistake

iTIBhl0b6JtxY.gif

Oidisco

Thank you you guys, I didn't know about that brake drifting move. I can't seem to be zble to pull that off pretty well with the Gamepad though

But practice makes perfect I guess!

It's pretty much required on a bunch of stages like Rainbow Road and Neo Bowser City. Takes a little while to get used to, but it's pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it

Revven

Is anyone currently playing? Or do I just have the wrong Community Code?

Room is full, it might be putting you in a new room. We're all in 200cc normal so if you have the code from the OP that should be the right lobby.

I think I'm generally more of a fan of Frantic 200cc so far btw lol

MrPanic

That's why I like 200cc Frantic. It forces you to be very careful and think with the items you use. You can't just mash buttons when you have a golden mushroom.
See, I'm fine with others wrecking me. But when my own weapons are working against me, that's where I draw the line.

Goldenshroom that I can't use half the time and occupies the item slot for 10 seconds, annoying.
Piranha Plant that's gonna screw up turns for 10 seconds, annoying.
Bullet Bill that fling me off-road when it stops, super annoying.

There are other annoyances as well, like the battles not feel that intimate anymore because your attacker is long gone at this speed. Though I got to say normal mode isn't the best either, 200cc ruined me.

Room is full, it might be putting you in a new room. We're all in 200cc normal so if you have the code from the OP that should be the right lobby.

I think I'm generally more of a fan of Frantic 200cc so far btw lol

Ahhh, I was in the frantic room. I'll try normal. Is the code still 5020-####-####?

I thought golden shrooms were horrible to get at first but once I got used to not spamming them I don't have much trouble with them anymore. You just have to get used to only shrooming in "safe" stretches and shortcuts and stuff and not worry too much about how much boost you get out of your golden shroom.

EDIT: And once you get better at lining things up there are a lot of safe spots.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hold that L azure.

I thought golden shrooms were horrible to get at first but once I got used to not spamming them I don't have much trouble with them anymore. You just have to get used to only shrooming in "safe" stretches and shortcuts and stuff and not worry too much about how much boost you get out of your golden shroom.

EDIT: And once you get better at lining things up there are a lot of safe spots.

It's more the blockage that gets me. Using one tick is the same as mashing it so you can't do anything to get rid of it, and it REALLY hurts to miss an item on 200cc.

DaBoss

That's exactly why they're terrible. You have to do that even more now. Why would anyone want a golden shroom over triple shrooms.

Azure J

WHAT IN THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCK @ MrPanic & SM239

I definitely hit both of you with that star post ramp jump, how did BOTH of you get in before me?

Oidisco

Yea pretty much how I see it. The only thing that's genuinely frustrating is Bullet Bills flinging you off the edge.

Revven

Ahhh, I was in the frantic room. I'll try normal. Is the code still 5020-####-####?

Should be whatever is in the OP.

I'm done for the night. Normal isn't really as fun, IMO. Once you're in the back, you're stuck there -- the game doesn't throw you a bone and give you a Bullet Bill or a Lightning like Frantic does. :/

Everybody in the middle gets way more benefit in Normal. Makes it too hard to catch up with the items they give you in normal.

But anyway, ggs.

That's exactly why they're terrible. You have to do that even more now. Why would anyone want a golden shroom over triple shrooms.
Because a lot of the time you can still get more use out of it than a triple shroom if you're doing it right.

You just have to avoid having the boost be active during the start of a turn.

Azure J

aw FUCK this mess

I literally went so fast off that one trick ramp on the final bend of Yoshi's tail on Yoshi Circuit that I bang'd my head on the awning hanging over the course. I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THAT WAS A THING

Grizzo

One last thing: For some sharp turns, start drifting early and from the far edge of the track. And in some cases, holding drift for longer than normal can really help.

Thank you for that! I need to go easy on the braking though, because it almost stops my kart while drifting sometimes (I tend to use it too much)

aw FUCK this mess

I literally went so fast off that one trick ramp on the final bend of Yoshi's tail on Yoshi Circuit that I bang'd my head on the awning hanging over the course. I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THAT WAS A THING
Until you reminded me I forgot that ramp even existed.

Roo

Thank you for that! I need to go easy on the braking though, because it almost stops my kart while drifting sometimes (I tend to use it too much)
Take turns like you normally do and tap the B button, just tap it.
Except on Neo Bowser City. The second U turn almost always needs a full brake

Oidisco

You can also try letting go of A instead of pressing B. You'll slow down a little slower and you'll lose the mini-turbo from drifting, which can help

Top Bottom