• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

MrPanic

I thought golden shrooms were horrible to get at first but once I got used to not spamming them I don't have much trouble with them anymore. You just have to get used to only shrooming in "safe" stretches and shortcuts and stuff and not worry too much about how much boost you get out of your golden shroom.

EDIT: And once you get better at lining things up there are a lot of safe spots.
The point is it's a item that holds your slot with a timer, so when you get it you get both an item with very limited useabilty and a lock that almost garentees you'll miss the next line of items. In other words, that item is now like getting 2 coin items in a row except for on a few levels. It's just stupid.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm getting used to this Waluigi setup atleast, so that's good*.

*aside from that rainbow road because holy shit

Azure J

I'm getting used to this Waluigi setup atleast, so that's good*.

*aside from that rainbow road because holy shit

Remember when the two of us were all like "lol use all the mushrooms because thrill seeking is the best" way back when?

Yeah, not anymore. :lol

Grizzo

Take turns like you normally do and tap the B button, just tap it.
Except on Neo Bowser City. The second U turn almost always needs a full brake

You can also try letting go of A instead of pressing B. You'll slow down a little slower and you'll lose the mini-turbo from drifting, which can help

got it! Braking makes me totally reconsider the way I used to play this game which is a nice surprise once you start to get the hang of it!

Azure J

Wow, I just noticed thanks to the last boost and glider section I did on RR64, you can see the Super Bell Subway line running over ground if you look in the distance to the bottom left.

Oidisco

got it! Braking makes me totally reconsider the way I used to play this game which is a nice surprise once you start to get the hang of it!

Oh, one last tip, I swear!

Don't always go for tricks. They can make you lose control for a little too long and cause to go offcourse or into items much more easily in 200cc

The point is it's a item that holds your slot with a timer, so when you get it you get both an item with very limited useabilty and a lock that almost garentees you'll miss the next line of items. In other words, that item is now like getting 2 coin items in a row except for on a few levels. It's just stupid.
Oh? From my experience it's only a few levels where I *don't* get to usually get a lot of boosts out of my golden. Also, I usually missed the next item boxes when I got a golden in 150cc anyways.

How much handling do you have?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Perfect example of the golden mushroom sucking just happened to me on RR64. Guy in front of me got bulletbill(which is significantly faster than you boosting with this already) and my shroom ran out right after the item boxes as everyone get another round of mushrooms and shells, leaving me defenseless and slow. It's incredibly annoying since it lasts just long enough on a lot of stages to make this happen, and in a 3 part track like RR you can't do anything to catch up.

Grizzo

Oh, one last tip, I swear!

Don't always go for tricks. They can make you lose control for a little too long and cause to go offcourse or into items much more easily in 200cc

mmmmmh that's what i figured! I always seem to go off the tracks after some tricks

thanks for the advice. Sometimes less is more, uh? :D

Oidisco

mmmmmh that's what i figured! I always seem to go off the tracks after some tricks

thanks for the advice. Sometimes less is more, uh? :D

Sorry, one very super last tip!

You should use a lightweight character when starting off 200cc. They have much better handling. Speed isn't a big issue either, so karts with good handling is a must.

Azure J

FUCK MAN

Used the star at the perfect timing to avoid Thor's wrath, but completely fuck up getting to the double glider sections on Cheese Land. :(

Grizzo

how the hell are you supposed to recover from that hangliding section in Cheeseland? The one with the sharp left turn and the chain chomp nearby

Grizzo

Sorry, one very super last tip!

You should use a lightweight character when starting off 200cc. They have much better handling. Speed isn't a big issue either, so karts with good handling is a must.

yeah I guess I'm gonna have to say goodbye to my main guy Wario :(

DaBoss

But the reverse is also true. If you can get a handle of 200cc with a heavy character, then you would be golden with the rest of the characters.

MrPanic

Confession time, this is the first time I saw that glider shortcut on sherbet land. Here I thought I knew everything of this game.

how the hell are you supposed to recover from that hangliding section in Cheeseland? The one with the sharp left turn and the chain chomp nearby
You land as soon as you can at a good angle and start your drift immediately. If you do it right you won't even have to brake, but starting off you probably will have to brake a little.

Top Bottom