• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

phanphare

Banned
Thanks. Ugh that's kinda rough, but not surprising due to the speeds involved.

Is it possible to go back through your last several races later to see what you want to upload (as I said I think this ability rings a bell, but couldn't find anything with a quick search), and if so any details and/or how many races? Or MUST it be done right after the race?

Not "GP", but tournaments can approximate that type of experience if set up correctly.

I'm pretty sure MKTV saves your last 12 races so you can come back later and do it

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
played 1hour

am i only one dissapointed by the graphics?

i mean , what amazed me on the videos and screen , is the super clean look , and the lightning.

but in real , its quite jaggy , distract a bit from the rest of the effects.

aanyway its a cool game

You've probably got the sharpness on your tv way too high.

ruie

played 1hour

i mean , what amazed me on the videos and screen , is the super clean look , and the lightning.

aanyway its a cool game

try adjusting your tv settings.

Baleoce

You've probably got the sharpness on your tv way too high.

He's kind of right though. Most people will play it on a TV. But I'm playing it on my monitor, and it's just displaying it how it's meant to be viewed. And I can definitely see the lack of AA even in motion. Still, it doesn't change the fact it's an aesthetical marvel to look at.

So guys, im doing the free thing game now and I need help.
I have all the games in the list minus Sonic Lost World, Sonic and the olympic games, and Wario Ware (WiiU party is going to be bought by another friend).

I like single player games, so the one that looked better for me was sonic, but I have heard bad things about it. I would have gotten Wario Ware instead becuase I love the series, but ive also heard that game is pretty meh. And i suppose the olimpic games one is not an option becuase its not that good (ive played the wii one, and it was pretty mediocre, dont know if this one is good enough).

So Sonic Lost World or Wario Ware? Is sonic really that bad for a free game? It looked amazing form the first trailers, so maybe it stil has some redeeming factor.

daydream

Banned
Everybody's enjoying it, it seems. :)

I'll soon join you guys playing online.

So guys, im doing the free thing right now and I need help.
I have all the games in the list minus Sonic Lost World, Sonic and the olympic games, and Wario Ware (WiiU party is going to be bought by another friend).

I like single player games, so the one that looked better for me was sonic, but I have heard bad things about it. I would have gotten Wario Ware instead becuase I love the series, but ive also heard that game is pretty meh. And i suppose the olimpic games one is not an option becuase its not that good (ive played the wii one, and it was pretty mediocre, dont know if this one is good enough).

So Sonic Lost World or Wario Ware? Is sonic really that bad for a free game? It looked amazing form the first trailers, so maybe it stil has some redeeming factor.

If you're looking for SP, Sonic is certainly the right choice.

Just picked it up at Target. Last copy. Target is giving out free wheel with the purchase.

Now I just gotta wait for the work day to end so I can go home and play.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i'm a weak human. I was telling myself I wouldn't buy a wii U. then I read this thread and just ordered one. hope it gets delivered tomorrow or i have to wait until tuesday. looking forward to this and a free copy of pikmin 3!

288 euro for a wii U, mariokart and Pikmin 3 seems like an OK price to me.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
He's kind of right though. Most people will play it on a TV. But I'm playing it on my monitor, and it's just displaying it how it's meant to be viewed. And I can definitely see the lack of AA even in motion. Still, it doesn't change the fact it's an aesthetical marvel to look at.

I'm playing on my 40 inch Sony tv which is correctly calibrated and the jaggies are barely noticeable.
On a monitor close to your face then yeah. You're going to be seeing a lot of jaggies.

Spoke to the delivery guy, Parcelforce, delivering from Tesco, he asked me what it was as he has had loads of the same boxes to deliver today, sounds positive for Nintendo!
If it were a less reputable company they might all have vanished upon receipt of that info.

TV settings aside I recall hearing the game is 720p so it is getting upscaled somewhere if you're playing on a 1080p set so that might be contributing things.

haha new desktop background
20140530_082756_zps65d567e6.jpg

cyberheater

i'm a weak human. I was telling myself I wouldn't buy a wii U. then I read this thread and just ordered one. hope it gets delivered tomorrow or i have to wait until tuesday. looking forward to this and a free copy of pikmin 3!

288 euro for a wii U, mariokart and Pikmin 3 seems like an OK price to me.

Remember once you register Mariokart, Nintendo will give you another free game.

YODEL IS A POS COMPANY. (UK courier).

So frustrated. "Attempted" delivery and "left a collection card". What a load of BS. Wife was home all day, did not ring the intercom, did not leave a colelction card. Ring up the driver and he CBF delivering it today because he's going home.

Looks like I'm off to the shops to get a standard copy while I wait for my special edition from the Nintendo UK online store.

*sigh*

Second time I've dealt with this company and second time no delivery attempt was actually made.

DirtyLarry

Just curious are there any updates/patches for the game? I want to know if when I get home from work I should set it all up and let my WiiU grab any updates or patches it may need to play the game, as it is terribly slow in doing so. Just want to make sure I am all ready to go for when I finally do get to check it out later on tonight. I am not going to be able to play right when I get home.
TIA.

MisterM

So frustrated. "Attempted" delivery and "left a collection card". What a load of BS. Wife was home all day, did not ring the intercom, did not leave a colelction card. Ring up the driver and he CBF delivering it today because he's going home.

Looks like I'm off to the shops to get a standard copy while I wait for my special edition from the Nintendo UK online store.

*sigh*

Second time I've dealt with this company and second time no delivery attempt was actually made.

My girlfriend had this exact problem with Yodel, complained vocally to the CS rep and then via Twitter, a survey and Facebook. The package then mysteriously arrived the same day.

Fuck Yodel.

Hasney

*sigh*

Yup, that sounds like Yodel. I don't do business with any company that uses them any more.

Porcile

Definitely no delivery later today. I just finished an online chat session with an Amazon UK guy. I did mention that it seems to not be an isolated case and that I won't be using them for future release day deliveries. He didn't seem to care much, haha...

I get free shipping on my next slow ass order at least. So basically, it will just be like a normal free shipping order. As a parting shot he wrote 'I hope you're ok out there' in the the last message. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow, but knowing Amazon lately, probably not.

beanman25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzlpcSZk7w / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #8 - Star Cup - Mount Wario - Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MvH2M4dNA8 / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #9 - Shell Cup - Toad's Turnpike - Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cU1apNBoI / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #10 - Leaf Cup - Sherbet Land - Toad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utg8dcSvXM4 / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #11 - Flower Cup - Shy Guy Falls - Yoshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLu3JCY8hLI / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #12 - Leaf Cup - Music Park - Shy Guy

*sigh*

Good old Home Delivery Network. They might have changed the name, but they clearly didn't retrain the monkeys that run the business.

I'm playing on my 40 inch Sony tv which is correctly calibrated and the jaggies are barely noticeable.
On a monitor close to your face then yeah. You're going to be seeing a lot of jaggies.

Similar setup here. Lack of AA is noticeable occasionally, but not at all when racing. Whether that's down to it being harder to spot in motion, or my attention being elsewhere or some other reason (or combination thereof) I don't know, and I don't really care. Game looks great. If the jaggies are really obvious it's worth messing about with sharpness settings and other processing on the TV. I'm taking delivery of a new TV today - not for MK8, our old one just gave up the ghost - and I'm hoping it will handle scaling and gaming as well as our old one, so I'll be doing the same at some point.

BTW - forgot to get back to you about rubberbanding. Still playing 50cc - kids want to join in and have a go - but there's definitely a bit of it there. Nothing too shocking but it is still there. Time - and more races in higher levels - will tell if it's an issue though.

Im at -2. I dont like sharpness at all. But playing quite close to a 65" Tv.

That's probably what is making a massive diferrence, haha. I'm sitting ~8ft from a 32" and while the game certainly isn't the epitome of image quality it looks smooth enough in motion that I don't notice the jaggies at all, save for a few glaring moments.

Canti

My Tesco copy finally arrived, was beginning to think I wouldn't receive it today. Now I have to go out in an hour >: Will give it a quick blast and join the tournament.

ID: Socanto

pixlexic

Banned
played 1hour

aanyway its a cool game

I'm the opposite ., I was quite surprised what they got out of the wiiu at 60 fps.

The aa is the only one flaw I can say about the graphics.

Azuran

Banned
Just finished my first cup and it was an eventful one. Got first place on my first race, almost got screwed by the coin items in the 2nd, first AI item rape took place in the third which meant 6th place, and destroyed my first blue shell in the last one. I got a taste of a little of everything. Also, still really early but gliding is a lot more loose now. I had a bit of trouble landing in a straight one but I,m sure I'll get the hang of it soon.

Oh yeah, and my first unlocked character was Iggy :)

Mognet

does nintendo release games at midnight on the eshop?

i don't see any release time other than the 31st for the eu store.

Griss

Two questions. I've beaten all the GPs bar one in 150cc single player mode. How do I keep unlocking characters?

And secondly, how do I shot screen? Does it have to go through Miiverse? That's a bit of a pain if so.

The replays are incredible, though. I was Toad, and Wendy drifts by, and as she does her pupils look over at Toad, then her actual face follows, and then she sneers at him, at which point he (me) boosts away, and her face changes to a determined look. In real time you don't see anything. In super slow-mo the attention to detail is farcical.

Top Bottom