• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Zemm

There's only one track that sucks and that's Toads Turnpike N64. It was bad on the N64 and it's better here but it's really only polishing a turd. The rest of the tracks are good to great.

Clockwork5

As I walked up to Gamestop at 10:15 I saw a man leaving with a large bag with a good sized box. As I walked in there was a modest line; however, the person being checked out was purchasing a MK8 bundled Wii U. As I stood in line the clerk (a good dude) recognized me (cause I buy too many games) and said its a good thing I reserved a copy of MK8 cause they sold out. The next guy walked up to the counter and purchased a MK8 Wii U bundle. The clerk then informed the customers waiting in line that there was only one system left. The very next person in line (she looked like a very patient mother) got the last console and two people behind me in line left the store.... This was 15 min after opening.

True story. Damn that MK8 bump.

Edit: Also, Add me Gaf!!! NNID: clockwork5

Currently in a lobby with a few Gaffers. Online is just way too addicting.

Kouriozan show mercy.

Are there stats for online play? Wins/Losses etc? What reason is there to play online, other than playing with other humans?

If you use the wheel most of the time, do you get that icon like Mario Kart Wii?

1up

Ideally, I'd trim Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach and replace them with Dry Bones, Diddy and Birdo, but that's replacing 3 girl racers with 2 male racers and Birdo, so I can kind of see where Nintendo was going, trying to get more female characters. I don't mind Metal Mario at all, in fact, I'm looking forward to using him. I don't know why, but I like him. There's also Honey Queen, who was a terrible character in 7, but it's better than gold metal Peach, which isn't even a real thing.

But Baby Peach, Daisy and Rosalina are near identical characters visually (and I think their stats are even the same).

I hope they put in all the characters we don't want in because they knew no one would buy them as DLC. I mean, who would buy Pink Gold Peach? But Wiggler, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr, and Birdo? Sold!

You guys are making the 10 minute wait to pick it up very unbearable.

Edit: NNID is TheSlySoul. Not sure if that is how you add people to Wii U.

As I walked up to Gamestop at 10:15 I saw a man leaving with a large bag with a good sized box. As I walked in there was a modest line; however, the person being checked out was purchasing a MK8 bundled Wii U. As I stood in line the clerk (a good dude) recognized me (cause I buy too many games) and said its a good thing I reserved a copy of MK8 cause they sold out. The next guy walked up to the counter and purchased a MK8 Wii U bundle. The clerk then informed the customers waiting in line that there was only one system left. The very next person in line (she looked like a very patient mother) got the last console and two people behind me in line left the store.... This was 15 min after opening.

sounds like this game will give it the biggest bump yet

The Media Markt where I got the game was already sold out and mine was the last one.
It would be normal if it werent becuase this happened on wednesday and the game came out on friday. lol
The clerk told me that first hour in the morning it was already nearly sold out, and that the line was pretty crazy. Media Markt is big, so I supose they got a big shipment.

JayEH

I was at gamestop at 10:30 and the guy at the counter said a bunch of people were there waiting for the store to open. There were still plenty of copies though but at least people are getting excited for Mario Kart!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just bought the game a few hours ago, looking forward to try it out! Added myself to the google-doc.

Chaos17

no rainbow road? :(
screenshot_63774.jpg

I hate that race, I always fall, lol.

MBR

Banned
Have been playing through all cups with some friends today, and so far, except for the battle mode and the extremely unnecessary inclusion of every Koopaling, it's probably the best MK yet.

Cheddahz

Banned
Does anyone have a recommendation for learning how to drift in this game? I've been using the sport bike and I like the way it drifts, but I feel like I should probably start slow and use something else for a little bit

RomanceDawn

Loving playing with you guys in this tournament.

You really have to race well in this game. I must have raced on about 20 courses and seen 3 or 4 blue shells. Good items are hard to come by and I like it!

Caoz

About to pick up this bundle of fun.

Do you recommend getting a wheel? Does it add anything? Better motion controls? Better for kids?

I would have never imagined I would be considering getting some of the platic wheels to be honest. But here I am.

vall03

WTF! The game is $64.99 on Canada eShop?! Fucking really?! Looks like it was a mistake to set my region to Canada now... *sigh*

J@hranimo

Banned
Gah, it's so difficult to keep one place! I'm loving the competition though. Also glad to hear there's some hype for this game. Wii U deserves more love!

Chaos17

Does anyone have a recommendation for learning how to drift in this game? I've been using the sport bike and I like the way it drifts, but I feel like I should probably start slow and use something else for a little bit
Do you use the R button and hold it ?
I'm asking you this because I didn't know about when I began to play xD
And man, I can only drift in 50 cc so far...

downloaded it late but too tired to play straight away. I played like 4 cups at 100cc and yes the graphics and detail is amazing, you literally can not stop. Another thing I was impressed by is how the driving feels, liked it a lot!!!

Could not connect to an online race though.

Now I am at work, will play more later today with the kiddos.

Ideally, I'd trim Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach and replace them with Dry Bones, Diddy and Birdo, but that's replacing 3 girl racers with 2 male racers and Birdo, so I can kind of see where Nintendo was going, trying to get more female characters. I don't mind Metal Mario at all, in fact, I'm looking forward to using him. I don't know why, but I like him. There's also Honey Queen, who was a terrible character in 7, but it's better than gold metal Peach, which isn't even a real thing.

But Baby Peach, Daisy and Rosalina are near identical characters visually (and I think their stats are even the same). So even though they pad the female roster... they're near identical.

Lot of stupid decisions character wise on this one. As you said... Dry Bones, Diddy, Birdo would have been great choices. THey should have just done this and gone all out...

Mario_Kart_8_Wii_U_Beta_Element_Screen.png

jimi_dini

OMG, the game is soooo good.

But what's that star on the upper left right after beating single player races, that I can set by pressing "+"?

Top Bottom