• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

prag16

Banned
Just picked it up at Best Buy. Not sure what kind of shithead operation they were running over there, but they didn't have it on display (game or bundle). People were having to ask people who worked there specifically for it, and they went to the back to get them out. There was no advertising at all other than a small sign next to the Wii U kiosk.

(Comparatively, Watch_Dogs was plastered everywhere.)

Even though they seemed to be actively trying not to sell it, four other people bought the game during the less than 10 minutes I was there (two of which bought the bunduru) which is good..

vall03

I'm not following... 64.99 CAD = 2622.05 PHP while 59.99 USD = 2625.60 PHP so you're still coming out ahead.

The other problem is that I can get the game for P300 cheaper on retail. This is the first time that theres a big gap between the retail and digital games that I bought since the usual difference before is just around P100 which I usually equate to commute costs. But eh, I'm getting a free game too so I don't mind, I'll consider it a treat for myself.

I also want to stop whining since I'm really excited to play the game. I wanted to get it earlier on retail but I was at work and by the time I leave, the stores would be closed.

Seems like you can redeem any of the 1 free games besides Zelda atm -___-" Gotta get used to drifting again. This game is very colorful, and I'm loving the art style.

zroid

Banned
Just picked it up at Best Buy. Not sure what kind of shithead operation they were running over there, but they didn't have it on display (game or bundle). People were having to ask people who worked there specifically for it, and they went to the back to get them out. There was no advertising at all other than a small sign next to the Wii U kiosk.

Seems par for the course at Best Buy. A few months ago I went to pick up a new Nintendo game on launch and they didn't even know it was supposed to be released. Between them trying to find out whether they actually had any copies in the back, and confirming the release date, I stood there waiting for nearly 15 minutes.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Lol sorry guys, such a pitiful performance, but I wanted to jump right in and test the waters. i drowned

time to practice a bit I presume

prag16

Banned
Well how easy will it be when tens of thousands of more people are online over the next few months than there are right now? The game just launched. To say that people who have been streaming it have no issues is a bit silly because the game wasn't even officially out yet.

Need for Speed had a similar "just join your friends public games" method of playing with one another and it was a disaster.

Oh I agree that it's an oversight. But a reason to ignore the online altogether??

Target's In Store stock from the web doesn't seem to be working. Trying my zip in Virginia and my hometown zip in PA and neither showing any stock for about 25 collective stores.

Fey

Banned

I remember they did the exact same thing when MKDS came out like 10 years ago. :/

Moondrop

Banned
Stunningly beautiful on my TV. Loved all the N64 representation. Greatest nostalgia thrill was merely seeing that red-blue-green-yellow 4x1 block pattern again.

I've yet to find a combo that feels right in my brief time; I played karts that handled like bathtubs and bikes that felt like they were sliding on ice. Given this range, the opacity of the statistics is perplexing. Are the numbers for karts, wheels, and gliders in the manual? I got the digital edition and forget to check.

Chaos17

Stunningly beautiful on my TV. Loved all the N64 representation. Greatest nostalgia thrill was merely seeing that red-blue-green-yellow 4x1 block pattern again.

I've yet to find a combo that feels right in my brief time; I played karts that handled like bathtubs and bikes that felt like they were sliding on ice. Given this range, the opacity of the statistics is perplexing. Are the numbers for karts, wheels, and gliders in the manual? I got the digital edition and forget to check.

There is no manual in my physucal box, just a quick starter guide :(

Lot of stupid decisions character wise on this one. As you said... Dry Bones, Diddy, Birdo would have been great choices. THey should have just done this and gone all out...

Mario_Kart_8_Wii_U_Beta_Element_Screen.png

This one is pretty horrible.
I need all the koopalings, thank you very much. Bowser Jr can die in a fire and never come back for all I care.
Racoon Mario would have been even worse than metal mario. A goomba? Cheep Cheep? Blooper? WTF is that shit.
They only cool thing there is seeing King K Rool.
EDIT
Freaking Tiny? This is even worse than I thought.

I'd say making new ones is worse. Did we really need a 5th Baby? Metal Peach is the Dry Bones Bowser of "could you try less when making a new character".

At least Dry Bones Bowser is a character that exists in Mario, Pink Gold Peach is entirely made up.

Unless she's some scrapped design from New Super Mario Bros 2 or something. Maybe at one point she was playable, or it's a design for a future game with the Gold Flower.

For those who have the game now (getting mine after work) ... How is the frame rate? I am pretty sensitive to frame rate shifts because of my pc gaming background.. Is it really fluid with no slow downs? The digital foundry review kinda concerned me.

Also can you set up tournaments for local play with AI?

Umi88

Just get to play my copy of the game :D, where is the toruney info? Cant seem to find it in the 1st post nor the spreadsheet

jimi_dini

Someone in here that redeemed the Club Nintendo Code - could you please tell me, if it's really possible to redeem it and then choose the free game at a later time? I just want to make sure that it's possible.

EDIT: 3rd cup completed with 3 stars :p

Forkball

Yeah I would rather have the babies out if I could pick. The Koopa Kids are fun, but there's just so many koopas if you count Koopa Troopa and Lakitu.

And about Mt. Wario, I just felt it was too long. I only played it once though so maybe I'll change my mind. Zig zagging through trees was fun.

Also we seriously need a MK8 picture thread.

CNj7abl.jpg

Rbbb3xd.jpg

q2VFlwg.jpg

hKb6rba.jpg

2XQUNET.jpg

Ju64Ywb.jpg

Top Bottom