• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Chaos17

okay people how are you taking all these wonderful screenshots and videos!

For the videos, there is an option after eacth race to replay cool moments (don't know the name in english). Or you can go to MKTV to watch those replay then you will have the option to upload it on the internet.

Forkball

Beat all the cups, here are my kneejerk opinions.

+I wouldn't say any of the tracks are particularly bad. I think the worst one would be Mount Wario, but there's a lot of really great and quality tracks in this game.
+The retro tracks look amazing and the new gameplay mechanics really enhance them.
+Pink Gold Peach and Metal Mario are the best characters

- Zero gravity gimmick is severely underutilized
- Replay controls could be much more intuitive
- Do we need ALL the Koopa kids?

Zomba13

Just noticed that if you beep your horn near another racer it startles them. Love the details.

Also this has by far the best online in a MK I've played yet. Quick and easy to connect. no lag yet. Very smooth.

EDIT: as soon as I post this I D/C from the GAF tournament. Typical.

Eiolon

My God I'm horrible at this game :/ I haven't played Mario Kart since N64. I haven't played a console since 1999. Not used to controllers.

wilflare

For the videos, there is an option after eacth race to replay cool moments (don't know the name in english). Or you can go to MKTV to watch those replay then you will have the option to upload it on the internet.

thanks! so MKTV records a number of your replay moments for you to upload to YouTube?

hmm screenshots hope there's a Built-in feature. I miss the Share button

feels just like 7 to me so far.. which is ideal. I never played the Wii game OMG what is this level with the cows. this music is the best thing I've ever heard.

Mesoian

+I wouldn't say any of the tracks are particularly bad. I think the worst one would be Mount Wario, but there's a lot of really great and quality tracks in this game.
+The retro tracks look amazing and the new gameplay mechanics really enhance them.

The koopa kids aren't the problem, it's the babies. Every baby is a waste of a slot.

Zemm

They really need to let you change character and kart pieces whilst in an online lobby (unless they do and I've missed it?), having to back out to change is not good!

Chaos17

thanks! so MKTV records a number of your replay moments for you to upload to YouTube?

hmm screenshots hope there's a Built-in feature. I miss the Share button
Yes, the MKTV will keep the last 6 or 12 recent races.
I didn't discovered any screenshot button atm.

Strider

So if I'm giving the free game to someone else. Do I register the Club Nintendo code on my account, pick a game, then give them the download code? Is that how it works or do I need to just give them the Club Nintendo code?

Sorry for silly question that's probably been answered.

Cheddahz

Banned
So...I really suck at drifting in this game, like a lot (I think I'm used to the drifting in Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed). I'll just have to get used to it (and find a vehicle preference as well)

The minimap is unfortunally displayed on the gamepad but in a sub menu :(
Or I didn't have any luck to find the option to display it directly during the race...

Yea I've just now noticed this watching people live stream the game. I guess as long as you can put it on the gamepad then it's okay.

The koopa kids aren't the problem, it's the babies. Every baby is a waste of a slot.

Ideally, I'd trim Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach and replace them with Dry Bones, Diddy and Birdo, but that's replacing 3 girl racers with 2 male racers and Birdo, so I can kind of see where Nintendo was going, trying to get more female characters. I don't mind Metal Mario at all, in fact, I'm looking forward to using him. I don't know why, but I like him. There's also Honey Queen, who was a terrible character in 7, but it's better than gold metal Peach, which isn't even a real thing.

But Baby Peach, Daisy and Rosalina are near identical characters visually (and I think their stats are even the same). So even though they pad the female roster... they're near identical.

1. Mount Wario is probably the best Mario Kart track ever, you are insane.
2. Yes. The babies are the problem, not the koopalings.

Surprised to see someone saying Mount Wario is the worst track. I don't have the game yet (arrives today), but that one was my favorite from all the footage I've seen. I love downhill races for some reason (part of the reason why I loved DK Mountain so much). Looks super fun.

Hasney

1-vince-mcmahon-wwe-funny-face.gif

Branson

So MKTV doesn't record the entire race? Just certain highlights?

I feel like I'll get online a lot more with this one only because it's a home console and not a handheld. Seems great for pick up and playing online once I beat the cups.

Mesoian

Ideally, I'd trim Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach and replace them with Dry Bones, Diddy and Birdo, but that's replacing 3 girl racers with 2 male racers and Birdo, so I can kind of see where Nintendo was going, trying to get more female characters. I don't mind Metal Mario at all, in fact, I'm looking forward to using him. I don't know why, but I like him. There's also Honey Queen, who was a terrible character in 7, but it's better than gold metal Peach, which isn't even a real thing.

But Baby Peach, Daisy and Rosalina are near identical characters visually (and I think their stats are even the same). So even though they pad the female roster... they're near identical.

Vivian, Goombella, Birdo.

Done, wrap, print.

Edit: Zee Germans are dominating this tournament.

Top Bottom