• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Roo

Lot of stupid decisions character wise on this one. As you said... Dry Bones, Diddy, Birdo would have been great choices. THey should have just done this and gone all out...

Mario_Kart_8_Wii_U_Beta_Element_Screen.png

Blooper? Cheep Cheep? Goomba? Freaking Monty Mole? yeah... I think I like Baby Rosalina more.

Rosur

The Media Markt where I got the game was already sold out and mine was the last one.
It would be normal if it werent becuase this happened on wednesday and the game came out on friday. lol
The clerk told me that first hour in the morning it was already nearly sold out, and that the line was pretty crazy. Media Markt is big, so I supose they got a big shipment.

I'm glad to see it seems to be doing well. I hope it gives the Wii U the boost it needs.

bart64

Banned
About to pick up this bundle of fun.

Do you recommend getting a wheel? Does it add anything? Better motion controls? Better for kids?

I would have never imagined I would be considering getting some of the platic wheels to be honest. But here I am.

It is pretty fun to use and it helps create a plane of motion--tilt is recognized on two axes so it can be difficult to get a feel for it. The best part is the button on the back, it's more comfortable to hit.

Tabasco

Just picked up a physical copy from Gamestop.

During opening hour, there was a mother and her child, a guy that looked around my age (early 20s), and myself there picking up the game. I'm the only one that bothered to ask for the pre-order poster, and it was weird that the guy didn't ask for one but instead just asked how to redeem the free game.

Don't expect much from the poster when you pick up your game. It's rather small and not very impressive. I suppose it is nice to look at though.

There were pre-order bonuses from different stores to choose from, and in the end I picked Gamestop. At least I have the game now, and will be playing it after work.

So I just got it in the mail and played the first cup. It's alright. It's probably better with friends. I can't believe how jaggy it is though. 720p with no AA is rough.

Can someone from Mexico or Latin America confirm if they got their free game after registering MK8 on Club Nintendo and/or if they had to to something special? (just to be safe :p) Thanks!

Did it ages ago during the MK8 download. No problems.

WTF! The game is $64.99 on Canada eShop?! Fucking really?! Looks like it was a mistake to set my region to Canada now... *sigh*

Exchange rate. 64.99CAD is 60US

I am now a proud Wii U owner! Currently downloading system updates. Also picked up Wonderful 101 at a used game store, and will be downloading Pikmin 3 when I get the chance.

lol really!? Hey, to each his/her own! There are loads of interesting "Mario universe" characters they could have used instead of throwing in all the damn babies and Bowsers kids.
I'd say making new ones is worse. Did we really need a 5th Baby? Metal Peach is the Dry Bones Bowser of "could you try less when making a new character".

thefro

Stopped by Best Buy to pick up my copy during my lunch break... there was a young mom in front of me in the pickup line getting the Mario Kart Wii U bundle. The Best Buy cashier was mentioning that he had heard that either Target was sold out of the bundles in town or hadn't put their stock out yet because people couldn't find it there..

The instore-display for the game had the copies half gone. There were a couple MK8 Wii U bundles left and a couple regular Deluxe Wii Us.

Another employee asked me if I was "looking for the new Mario game?" when I walked into the video game section.

So anecdotally it's selling pretty well here.

jimi_dini

It adds the race to your favorites in MKTV.

thx.

and another question - the main menu shows 29/90? stickers? But it showed that many even right after starting up the game the first time?

Oh and how does it work exactly with this free game? I just sold mine, but the buyer isn't sure what to choose. Do I have to select one right when registering?

I'd say making new ones is worse. Did we really need a 5th Baby? Metal Peach is the Dry Bones Bowser of "could you try less when making a new character".

Very true. Though you have to admit... most of those shown in that mock up i posted are far "cooler" than Baby "whatever" lol... well IMO at least. Totally get what you're saying though and i agree.

Cheddahz

Banned
Do you use the R button and hold it ?
I'm asking you this because I didn't know about when I began to play xD
And man, I can only drift in 50 cc so far...

I am! The drifting in this game is just...different then it was in Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (and I'm probably just too used to that game). I'll get the hang of Mario Kart again here sometime soon (this is the first one I've played since Super Mario Kart anyways)

vall03

Exchange rate. 64.99CAD is 60US

I'm still fucked by the exchange rate since I'm not from the US. Oh well, I caved and bought it anyway. Would take me a few more hours for it to finish, sadly I need to sleep now and I'll just have to leave it downloading overnight.

Zomba13

When uploading a replay to youtube can you go about racing/doing other stuff or do you have to wait for the upload to finish? I don't want to try in case it messes with my upload. My upload speed is super slow >.<

Characters:
Remove all babies. Bundle Baby mario+luigi as one character, Daisy and Peach as another. Bring back Dry bones, remove metal clones, bring back King Boo and Queen Bee. Oh, and add Nabbit.

Revven

Just got my copy from Target this morning! Going to start playing and unlocking things in a bit but don't feel afraid to add me! Also gonna have a friend over to play this game for hoursssss

NNID: Revven

:D

caligula13

Gold Member
i am shocked that the split screan is only vertical. the game has become unplayable for me in two player modus. that was the best thing in mario kart wii, playing together with my wife

Nkoi

Neo Member
got lucky with Roy after about 4 GPs!

i'm in love with almost every single track in this game.. they have outdone themselves. bowser is also so expressive i just can't help but smile ear to ear when hitting those tricks

So I just got it in the mail and played the first cup. It's alright. It's probably better with friends. I can't believe how jaggy it is though. 720p with no AA is rough.
I'm playing the game on a 55 inch and the jaggies are almost unnoticeable. Then again I optimized the shit out of my TV's picture for gaming. It really was a pleasant surprise after hearing all of the horror stories people posted from their time with the demo units.

yeah I've cursed more in the last 30 minutes than I have in the last 3 months

this is Mario Kart alright

time to ragequit that fuckin rigged online shit for a bit

I am! The drifting in this game is just...different then it was in Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (and I'm probably just too used to that game). I'll get the hang of Mario Kart again here sometime soon (this is the first one I've played since Super Mario Kart anyways)

I've played most versions of Mario Kart and after SASRT, I'm still having trouble getting my head round the fact I can't chain drifts. But once you click with MK drifting, it becomes second nature.

dgco86

I'm still fucked by the exchange rate since I'm not from the US. Oh well, I caved and bought it anyway. Would take me a few more hours for it to finish, sadly I need to sleep now and I'll just have to leave it downloading overnight.

I'm not following... 64.99 CAD = 2622.05 PHP while 59.99 USD = 2625.60 PHP so you're still coming out ahead.

RomanceDawn

Having all 8 Koopalings is the best roster decision ever! Anyone who doesn't like it is a villain and a knave.

I could do without pallet swap Peach and Mario though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
i am shocked that the split screan is only vertical. the game has become unplayable for me in two player modus. that was the best thing in mario kart wii, playing together with my wife

A vertical split makes a lot more sense with a widescreen resolution. I'm sure you'll be able to adapt.

Vuze

Man, this game is fun.

Only wish I'd know how to regulate the internet usage of Wii U, it kills my internet connection completely for some reason.

Oidisco

Finished all the tracks on GP mode and it's pretty sweet. Star Cup is easily the best in the entire series, every track is absolutely fantastic!

Right now my only issues are the fact that Rainbow Road is kinda disappointing (still kinda fun though) and that framerate stutter. It's surprisingly noticeable.

Davey Cakes

I'm playing the game on a 55 inch and the jaggies are almost unnoticeable. Then again I optimized the shit out of my TV's picture for gaming. It really was a pleasant surprise after hearing all of the horror stories people posted from their time with the demo units.
I'm pretty sure my TV is already optimized but I'd be curious to know if there are better settings specifically for playing games like MK8 that are 720p with no AA.

I have a 40" 1080p Samsung LED.

If anyone has suggestions I'll gladly take them. When I get the game today I'll see for myself and maybe toy with the sharpness. Then again the game may look stellar as is.

Having all 8 Koopalings is the best roster decision ever! Anyone who doesn't like it is a villain and a knave.
It's 8 whole characters though. I understand how it's "all or nothing" with the Koopalings though.

I'd still probably prefer to have Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, Birdo, King Boo, and Diddy back.

Azuran

Banned
As expected, I suck horribly in the new tracks, but I'm a pro on the retro ones. The special cup is kicking my ass all over the place.

Top Bottom