• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Got my copy and I'm ready to play!
lrqoTP6.gif

creyas

My first Mario Kart, game is pretty damn awesome. Opened up with a straight 3 and a half hours of online splitscreen with a bud. Really positively surprised, though i'd get bored of it pretty fast but you just keep playing.

Accelerating with A and drifting with the shoulder button felt seriously off at first but i got used to it, control feels great now. Such a polished package, a joy to play.

Copenap

So I'm playing online right now and I need the GAF's tourney you guys are using right now to add it to the OT.
Not sure if you guys are ok with it or you want to create a new one.
Code: 0015-0254-0763

It's a permanent tourney with weekly ladder resets and unlimited races so it's more of a general lobby where we can just hang out and have fun. I would suggest an additional "competitive" one with race limit, though we can allways have special events for that. I like the current one as it's an easy way to play with gaffers and we can track who's the most active and can have casual "competition" for the top spot (though it's mostly determined by play time).

lordy88

Alright guys, I'm getting tempted to get a Wii U now and snag Mario Kart 8.

Thing is, my Mario Kart experiences are rooted from Double Dash. I enthusiastically bought MK Wii, and was thoroughly disappointed with the feel of the game (grinding with the L + R, the grind mechanism seemed really odd and not as fun as in DD with slamming the stick back and forth, etc.).

Would you guys say this game is closer to the feel of DD or MK Wii?

NA48

Neo Member
I can't figure out how to play single player with the pro controller.

Can anyone help?

I have it selected as "controller 1" but the gamepad seems to be the only way to play :(

It only seemed to work for me if I started the game with it. If you push X on the main Wii U menu, you can start the game with the Pro Controller and all should be well.

So I picked this up for my 8 year old. I decided to play for a bit before I pick him up from school, and wow, I had a damn blast. Definitely feel that Nintendo magic. Total eye candy and just... fun.Wish it was enough to pull the WiiU out of the dumpster.

What are you even talking about? The Wii U library is trouncing next gen so far and probably will for the next year at least.

epmode

Hm, Club Nintendo says my PIN has already been used. ..Am I screwed?

edit: Fuck, the site worked for a second. I saw the free games but got the maintenance message when I clicked on one. I hope it didn't forget!

you guys are too much for me but I love this tournament mode hope it stays this challenging I can get better racing you guys

gone to eat a bit and then I'll get back to racing

JLeack

Banned
Nintendo really should release DLC that includes REAL Battle Mode. What I'm seeing from Battle Mode makes it looks gosh darn awful.

Minions

Club Nintendo's server are down for maintenance.... huge surprise there. Seems there is a reason Nintendo was last to do online, they can't handle it. I expect it will only get worse later today... and it is down when people are still at work.

Cosmozone

I think I slowly get the hang of it. Some courses got really fun now like Bowser's castle. Drifting into the ramp and jumping over the fire feels so good. Will try higher difficulty soon. As the noob I am I started at 50cc but three-starred everything now.

I love the countless details in this game. Especially the gorgeous seaside town at night when racing on classic Rainbow Road. Complete with driving cars, lights on, coastline and lighthouse. When in a cave or similar closed location, an echo effect is added to the character's voices. Different effect in struck-by-lightning mode (funny if you finish the race during this). All I could wish for now is more animations, e.g. after goal.

daydream

Banned
Club Nintendo's server are down for maintenance.... huge surprise there. Seems there is a reason Nintendo was last to do online, they can't handle it. I expect it will only get worse later today... and it is down when people are still at work.

That's a funny statement when MK8 servers have been pretty much perfectly smooth all throughout launch, while supposedly "modern" companies like EA are effing up left and right.

Kinsei

Banned
What are your top 3 nitro and retro tracks so far?

Nitro
Electrodrome
Bowser's Castle
Mount Wario

Retro
Wario Stadium
DK Jungle
Rainbow Road. This is coming from someone who hates the original MK64 Rainbow Road.

BM8

Neo Member
The game has been attained.

I asked the guy at GS if its been selling Wii U's, and he replies, "oh yeah".

Hopefully the Wii U can sway away from, "is that the add on for the Wii?", to, "thats the console that plays MK8".

Boogiepop

Played through 6 cups offline 50cc with a friend. Definitely enjoying it thus far, though the little changes are throwing me off, haha. I feel so much more conflicted about items, since holding one and/or having one around you now counts as having one. Also, damn that coin item! Left me defenseless quite a few times! But that super horn is awesome.

What are your top 3 nitro and retro tracks so far?

Nitro
Electrodrome
Bowser's Castle
Mount Wario

Retro
Wario Stadium
DK Jungle
Rainbow Road. This is coming from someone who hates the original MK64 Rainbow Road.

Rainbow Road
Mount Wario
Dem Shaols

Rainbow Road
Toad's Turnpike
Dry Dry Desert

Tiamant

Today at work has been awesome!

MK8 outsold Watchdogs (PS3+PS4) by a wide margin and we sold a lot of bundles. Of course this is a drop in the ocean but It warmed my heart to see all that people, kids and grown-ups, getting their Mario fix.

Please Nintendo, keep the good games coming!

Top Bottom