• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

daydream

Banned
Since we're onto track discussion now:

My favourite new tracks:

Toad Harbour
Sunshine Airport
Mount Wario
Thwomp Ruins
Cloudtop Cruise

My least favourite new tracks:

Rainbow Road
Bone Dry Dunes

My favourite Retro tracks:

Toad's Turnpike
Moo Moo Meadows
Sherbet Land
Donut Plains 3
Cheep Cheep Beach

My least favourite Retro tracks:

Grumble Volcano
Piranha Plant Pipeway
DK Jungle

Five bad creations/choices out of 32. [insert joke commending the track record]

But seriously, the new tracks are mostly amazing and I would blindly buy DLC with new cups.

I can't imagine how anyone could dislike Pirahna Plant Slide. It's so goooood

I understand Grumble Volcano but MK8 has changed my opinion on this map completely

Servbot24

Banned
I think that's the price. I payed $350 for my Wii U when it came out and it only came with Nintendoland lol. Of course better games have come out since then.

That bundle has MK8, Mario Wii Motionplus, MK8 comes with a free game, and I don't know if Toys R Us will count the bundle as an MK8 purchase. But if they did, you'd get 40% off a game of equal or lesser value. So DKC:TF or SM3DW would be great considering they are both $50 and the 40% off will bring that down.

Ah. In that case a $200 Wii U + MK8 sounds like a better deal for me

Baleoce

If they're going to start doing licensed car manufacturer DLC, my vote goes to:

2015_Fly_n_Series_movie_BTTF-2.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Maybe I missed it but how do you edit or delete a tournament once you create it?

If you can't delete perpetual communities it would lead to a lot of spam...

so the best way I found to switch from gamepad to pro is let the energy saver dim the screen and then you can press A on the controller of your choice

heh they need a faster way

hope Nintendo adds more features

Minions

That's a funny statement when MK8 servers have been pretty much perfectly smooth all throughout launch, while supposedly "modern" companies like EA are effing up left and right.

I'm talking about their servers for content not games. Anything to do with the account system or club Nintendo couldn't handle it. I couldn't imagine what would happen if 10 million people tried. It's not even busy hours currently.

Today at work has been awesome!

MK8 outsold Watchdogs (PS3+PS4) by a wide margin and we sold a lot of bundles. Of course this is a drop in the ocean but It warmed my heart to see all that people, kids and grown-ups, getting their Mario fix.

Please Nintendo, keep the good games coming!

If Smash turns out a success, Wii U might end up with Gamecube numbers. I really hope this is the case. The Wii U is such an improvement from the Wii.

I finally had the chance to try the game, both off and online, and... holy shit, the game's incredible, the first impression is the greatest of any mario kart since maybe MK64. Tracks are CRAZY, it gets seriously intense after mere minutes, online play is already chaos and mayhem, and visuals are simply glorious, they really feel next gen. You clearly notice the 720p output without AA, but you only notice that during the starting lights: after that, the game becomes a visual fiesta. The game feels chaotic but strangely fair, I was perfectly able to understand every mistake I made, especially during online play, and I felt like it was always my wrong if I got pushed back: man, the feeling of avoiding a banana at the last second, barely sliding by it, is simply amazing. And the Pro Controller helped a lot, thanks Nintendo for controller choices.

dat polish

atr0cious

I can't play DK anymore, he's too fat! You can't drift worth a damn

Me and DK have the same barber, so I've been trying to main him, but holy shit is he hard to use. I've found the sport bike with roller wheels is the closest you'll get, but then it's super inward, so you're starting you're drift super late. The ladybug looking cart is also decent with the proper wheels. I spent a couple hours dropping in and out of Time Trials trying different configs, but I don't have much unlocked yet.

NA48

Neo Member
What are your top 3 nitro and retro tracks so far?

Nitro
Electrodrome
Bowser's Castle
Mount Wario

Retro
Wario Stadium
DK Jungle
Rainbow Road. This is coming from someone who hates the original MK64 Rainbow Road.

New:
Electrodrome
Rainbow Road
Mount Wario

Old:
DK Jungle
Royal Raceway
Tick Tock Clock

... Electrodrome is just amazing, it puts a huge smile on my face every time it comes up. I like the new Rainbow Road a lot too - it feels so fast and so good to drift around all those crazy banking loops. I always feel like I'm just barely hanging on, but I don't find it really frustrating or fall off much. Whoever mapped out those curves did a good job.

Oh god the Electrodome is amazing. Such a cool level.
Really loving the game so far too. Wish uploading to YouTube was a bit faster though. Seems like its taking a good 10 minutes for me and you're kind of left doing nothing but waiting.

Do you have to make a miiverse post though every time you upload a video? I can just imagine the YouTube community being bombarded with MK posts right now lol

While a lot of retro tracks have been improved in this entry compared to their originals I can't help but think that Cheep Cheep Beach got noticeably worse, due to the changes with the water system it basically wrecks the entire layout of the central track area since the watery depths are no longer the exclusive domain of boosters.
Odd change right at the end where there's like a new mud patch masquerading as a tree shadow.
Tick Tock Clock doesn't feel as strong either, on the bright side for DS tracks Wario Stadium benfits greatly from the overhaul and being able to use a trick system this time around.

Cbajd5

Mt. Wario may be the best MK course ever.

I dunno if we needed
2 Rainbow Road courses
but overall this has a great bunch of tracks.

all of the tracks should be rainbow roads

and we'll call it MARIO KART 8: RAINBOW ROAD EDITION

otherwise known as MARIO KART 8: BEST EDITION

daydream

Banned
What don't you like about Bone Dry Dunes? For me it's the only desert track in the series that's actually good.

I just find it bland. I wouldn't call it bad per se. The new tracks are really fantastic overall.

But something to break up the colour palette would have done wonders, imo.

In terms of desert tracks, I vastly prefer the Double Dash one, or even the Wii one.

Edit: Communication error, grr..

Barkz

Neo Member
Added myself to the Google Doc. My son finally let me play! Dinner time FTW! Look forward to playing with you all.

Grizzo

I don't have a Controller Pro yet, but the GamePad feels great for that game! I have absolutely no trouble controlling my character whatsoever.

Also the music feels so... I don't know..."Music-hall"? Although that's not a bad thing. I'm at the end credits right now and it sounds like the intro of late night talk-show.

NotLiquid

Are the items you get based purely on distance between characters in this? Cause I swear I got some really high level items at third place once.

Gurrry

Alllllright... I got home and got a few races in.

The game is definately fun as shit. I cant wait to see the rest of it.

What are the stars in the top left corner when racing in single player?

Also - is there a way to race only gaffers?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just played 4 cups in single player and I really wish they made "Next Race" the top option instead of the highlights. Other than that, no complaints.

ChuckNyce

Welp, I was gonna wait to pick this up having already gotten Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, and Transistor, but MK8's forced my friend to pick up a Wii U bundle so I'll be heading to Target (thank you Target triple trade in credit) and picking up a copy. I'm on my cell and I can't remember my NNID but I'll add it to the spreadsheet later.

Are the items you get based purely on distance between characters in this? Cause I swear I got some really high level items at third place once.

Coming to think of it I got my first and currently only lightning in third place and my first blue shell in second (possibly from third as I moved into second), meanwhile in those cruel moments as you try to recover from an item assault you get like single red shells and mushrooms.

Lexxism

I'm definitely sure someone mentioned this earlier but I can't help it!

Wiimote + Nunchuks = perfect controller for this game!

Top Bottom