• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Kinsei

Banned
Haha, I agree. Everyone was talking about how tough 150cc was at first and all I could think was "You haven't played in GAF yet, have you?"

Eh, 99% of 150cc is easy, but it feels like the game decides whether or not you'll win the final race of the cup before you start.

Berordn

Is there a list somewhere of all unlockables and how to achieve them?

For all but the gold parts, you just unlock stuff by collecting coins (for kart parts) and getting gold trophies in GP mode (for characters).

Everything's randomized.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there a list somewhere of all unlockables and how to achieve them?

Characters: Get gold on a cup. Who you get is random.
Parts: A new one every 50 coins. What you get is random
Gold Body: Get 1 star on every cup on 150cc and mirror mode.
Gold Wheels: Beat every staff ghost.
Gold Glider: Get 10,000 coins.
Character Stamps: Get gold on a cup with a character to get their stamp.
Track Stamps: Beat the staff ghost on that track.

I think that's everything.

MGrant

Track rankings

It's so hard boiling the new tracks down to a top 3. I'd go this direction:

Best - Original
Electrodrome - I actually love this course. It is so atmospheric, and I love the little details like the trails the karts leave on certain sections of the track. You can tell they had a lot of fun making this one.
Mount Wario - I love the story this course tells. It's like a celebration of everything we love about mountains. The natural beauty at the summit and in a mountain forest, the clean energy we get from hydroelectric dams, the excitement of an olympic ski event. The reveal of the crowd waiting at the end as you come through the blue starting gates has an incredible sense of scale.
Bowser Castle - This is the most heavy metal thing that's ever appeared in a Mario game. And it knows it, too, because the start of the race starts with a killer guitar wail. Recreates the feeling of dread I had as a child entering bowser's castle in Super Mario World. Love the flight through the plumes of lava near the end.

Best - Retro
Royal Raceway - Beautiful, peaceful, and the best "asphalt racetrack" style course in the game.
Moo Moo Meadows - I'm not even that into the design of the track itself, but the atmosphere and the music is just so quaint and charming. It's a generous, relaxing course.
Rainbow Road - Yeah, it's hard to top what may be the Citizen Kane of Mario Kart tracks (I know, I know).

Worst - Original
Bone-Dry Dunes - I hate to put this here, because I actually like the way it plays, but it's just aesthetically boring. Color palette is all red-brown, all the time. I wish they had explored more of the desert canyon theme, or the boneyard theme, or the marketplace theme that appears just at the end but nowhere else.
Sunshine Airport - Inside the terminal is beautiful, love the architecture of the ceiling, especially. Too bad the course takes place mostly outside on the runway, which is so much blander in both aesthetics and gameplay. Should have made the terminal bigger and the runway section tighter.
Mario Kart Stadium - I love the way this course looks, but was disappointed that it plays pretty much like a Luigi Circuit would in another Mario Kart game. Not bad, but safe.

Worst - Retro
Sherbet Land - I've played a lot of Double Dash. This was always one of the worst courses in that game, and it's still pretty bad here. The underwater sections don't add much for me. Just bring back DK Mountain and Mushroom City, guys. I don't care that it's been done, put DK Mountain and Mushroom City in every Mario Kart. And bring back Block Fort from N64.
Donut Plains 3 - Doesn't do that much for me. I like the way the SNES graphics are portrayed, though, that is genius.
Wario Stadium - My least favorite of the Wario stadium levels. Coliseum from Double Dash would have been better here, imo.

Timeaisis

Quick unlock question. Finished ask 150cc on gold. Do I have to get gold on mirror to keep unlocking, or can I do our ob 100cc? Since the 150cc gold carry over to 100.

Characters: Get gold on a cup. Who you get is random.
Parts: A new one every 50 coins. What you get is random
Gold Body: Get 1 star on every cup on 150cc and mirror mode.
Gold Wheels: Beat every staff ghost.
Gold Glider: Get 10,000 coins.
Character Stamps: Get gold on a cup with a character to get their stamp.
Track Stamps: Beat the staff ghost on that track.

I think that's everything.

Pretty much but after you get 1,000 coins, the requirement increases to every 100 coins.

NotLiquid

Rosalina users probably feel vindicated with this game. The heavy weight class feels like it has a significant advantage over all other ones.

Cheddahz

Banned
Wanna buy the MK8 bundle but all I have is my graduation money. Thinking about trading in my Vita, I'm not sure. I just want a Wii U really badly right now.

Why not pick up a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo and pick up the game or see if anyone is selling a Wii U on the B/S/T thread? All of those alternatives will be much cheaper than buying the bundle

At how many coins do we stop unlocking stuff? I know you get the golden glider at 10000, but the rest of the parts probably stops unlocking way before that right?

Astral Dog

That's what I was wondering because the lack of AA is really noticeable. Still beautiful game though.

This is a little troubling considering that MK8 its one of the few games that clearly looks beyond the capabilities of the 360/PS3, still Nintendo did a good job with the graphics on this system

Randomizer

This game is just as good as any previous Mario karts. I don't find it better or worst.
I agree, I'm honestly baffled by those saying it's the best since SNES/N64 or that they bought a Nintendo console for the first time in years just for this game. They mustn't be very acquainted with the series. Honestly since MK:DS they have all been very similar. In particular MK7 & 8, Mario Kart 8 is basically a HD MK7.

Damn, Serrys, I could not catch up to you on sherbert

I could hear you behind me for almost the entire race, especially the end there. You probably would have won if there had been any blue shells.

Also, sorry if I'm part of the problem for those wanting a tournament OT. We really can't communicate ingame due to the lack of voice chat, so I guess we all just started talking to each other in the place where we all met up. If you guys want to make an online OT, I'll happily move over there. Until then, we really don't have anywhere else to talk.

I agree, I'm honestly baffled saying it's the best since SNES/N64 or that they bought a Nintendo console for the first time in years just for this game. They mustn't be very acquainted with the series. Honestly since MK:DS they have all been very similar. In particular MK7 & 8, Mario Kart 8 is basically a HD MK7.

Dude you're crazy. MK7 is terrible compared to this.

Top Bottom