• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

enoki

I swear, real life interrupts at least 1 of every 5 matches.

EDIT: Is anyone making a tournament thread? I feel awful for spamming up this one.

Delt31

I agree, I'm honestly baffled by those saying it's the best since SNES/N64 or that they bought a Nintendo console for the first time in years just for this game. They mustn't be very acquainted with the series. Honestly since MK:DS they have all been very similar. In particular MK7 & 8, Mario Kart 8 is basically a HD MK7.

I'm baffled that you would think it's not better or worse. Seriously? After the let down that was the wii, 7 was in the right direction but 8 is an absolute MK masterpiece. Best in the series with MK 64 behind that. The physics are awesome, the bikes actually give you another good option, the gravity makes it fzero like and the graphics are perfect.

Spinluck

I agree, I'm honestly baffled by those saying it's the best since SNES/N64 or that they bought a Nintendo console for the first time in years just for this game. They mustn't be very acquainted with the series. Honestly since MK:DS they have all been very similar. In particular MK7 & 8, Mario Kart 8 is basically a HD MK7.

I love this game, and I thought MK Wii was garbage.

Kinsei

Banned
Such amazing attention to detail in this game. If you have the piranha plant in first and a blue shell comes, the circle it does around your vehicle causes the plant to get dizzy.

Man I know this is wishful thinking but they should really patch the game so you can't get the coin when you already have 9 or 10 coins, it's pointless.

Also, did anything ever come of this guide?

So.. I found this interesting piece of info in MKWF from a "leaked guide"

- CPU can never pick up triple red shells
- Last place cannot receive Lightning bolt
- To get 3 stars, all you need is 60 points (1st place all races)
- Unlocks are at 50 coins until 1000 points, after that it’s 100 per unlock
- Grumble Volcano has a new shortcut after lap 3
- You have to win a cup with each character for 30 stickers and beat 32 staff ghost for the other stickers. The other 28 are already earn by starting the game.
- You can’t pull a star the first minute of battle unless you’re on frantic and have only one balloon.
Can anyone confirm the second one? :O

I'm interested to see what else it says and if it shows hidden stats. It pretty much got the second and third points correct. The official guide will probably have this whenever or if it ever releases.

Koren

I was in first for two laps!!! Two freaking laps! Why won't you let me win, GAF!
This. Only managed to reach second place twice, even if I've been leading from times to times whole laps. There's really good players on GAF.

I'm baffled that you would think it's not better or worse. Seriously? After the let down that was the wii, 7 was in the right direction but 8 is an absolute MK masterpiece.
I don't really understand the MK Wii hate (I really like it, especially half a dozen of its tracks). But I agree this one is better. It's 7, but finely tuned, especially items (and with great graphics... I'm amazed that some retro tracks look so good).

Kazerei

Banned
Rainbow fucking Road. I just played through Special Cup on 100cc twice. Both times, I got 1st place on the first three tracks, but blew it on Rainbow Road. I'm not very good :(

Rainbow fucking Road. I just played through Special Cup on 100cc twice. Both times, I got 1st place on the first three tracks, but blew it on Rainbow Road. I'm not very good :(

Don't try to get 3 stars on 100cc! 3 stars on Mirror mode applies to all lower cups. 3 stars on anything else is a waste.

Randomizer

I love this game, and I thought MK Wii was garbage.

I'm baffled that you would think it's not better or worse. Seriously? After the let down that was the wii, 7 was in the right direction but 8 is an absolute MK masterpiece. Best in the series with MK 64 behind that. The physics are awesome, the bikes actually give you another good option, the gravity makes it fzero like and the graphics are perfect.

Honestly MK Wii I can understand, the item balancing was terrible and the bikes were overpowered. But it was still a great game with great tracks and the online was amazing. My go to online game of last gen along with the Halo series.

Here are my top requested things, that need to be fixed or added:

• Toggleable mini map for the main screen
  • Friendly Fire toggle in Team modes
  • You should be able to collect a 2nd item, if you already have 1 activated
  • Star power up speed still seems low, compared to MK Wii so increase the speed a little

This is just from top of my head and I didn't thought about other things for too long.

Anybody else having some things, they want to be fixed or added?

Besides only having 1 item, I agree with all of these. The 1 item thing is growing on me a bit.

Anyway, most of the stuff I'd want change is mechanics/physics based. I feel like you have far less control over you car underwater/in the air than in 7, making them less strategic and impactful on the race. In design as well, they feel underutilized: the glider typically is only used out of cannons and can't take advantage of short-cuts.

Likewise, the offroad mechanics are lame. Falling off the track entirely gets an immediate recovery and maintains your items. If you have mushrooms or a star, it can even be exploited to your advantage. I liked the old punishments better, with the drop boost being used as a skill-based way to recover. Just veering off the track even slightly, however, stops you dead in your tracks and kills your drift. In 7 I'd use the offroad to built a very quick boost, but here it's just annoying, not interesting. I also thing the general course design leans more towards small, quick, sharp turns instead of long boost-building turns which is okay, but I prefer 7's designs.

I think all the changes above make for a shallower game. Online is fun, but it hurts my enjoyment still.

In terms of actual patchable content, I just wanna see more options. Give me the option to mess with item randomness, turn some on or off, restrict characters or karts, etc. when playing versus or in a tournament. I also wish they'd bring back some of the old cut items like the POW block, even if not in normal play, because this game lacks some crazy factor at times.
Battle mode needs work too, and a mission mode would be nice.

It's all sorta this middle ground between 7's balance and Wii's party atmosphere and idk if it pulls either off because of it. I still like it, and I need to play more to get a final verdict, but I feel like I've seen most of what the game has to offer already. The antigrav, super slick online, and overall amazing presentation still makes it one of my favorite in the series though.

DedValve

Banned
So is anyone having trouble redeeming their free game? I put in the code for MK8 got the coins and said choose a free game then when I go the page freezes and shows only a blank page.

The site is also SUUUPER slow. Now I don't know how to get back to redeeming Zelda, I went as far as them to send me a code to my email but I never got it (not in junk either).

ChrisD

This. Only managed to reach second place twice, even if I've been leading from times to times whole laps. There's really good players on GAF.

I don't really understand the MK Wii hate (I really like it, especially half a dozen of its tracks). But I agree this one is better. It's 7, but finely tuned, especially items (and with great graphics... I'm amazed that some retro tracks look so good).

I think a lot of the Wii hate comes from the horribly imbalanced online. Or at least anyone who played it "seriously." That and hackers. Ugh.

Koren

Man I know this is wishful thinking but they should really patch the game so you can't get the coin when you already have 9 or 10 coins, it's pointless.
That's probably on purpose. I hadn't understood it at first, but someone here explained it.

The fact that the coin leave you without defense, coupled to the fact that you can't get an item while holding one behind, is a way to ensure that people in the lead can be attacked. The fact that you can get the sonic weapon (great defensive weapon) while in the lead is a way to make you want try getting a better weapon than the banana. That's really clever.

DedValve

Banned
Man my posts are always at the bottom of a page =/

Well it looks like the site is being hammered. I guess I'll try later but I was really looking forward to some Zelda HD tonight :(

Touchdown

Banned
I bought the Wii U bundle yesterday and read somewhere I could get a free dowloaded game if I register Mario Kart but I don't see any paper in the box with a code on it except the free hulu promotion thing. Am I missing something? :eek:

Lunar15

That fucking Dolphin Shoals music.

sax-roll-o.gif

Exile20

I bought the Wii U bundle yesterday and read somewhere I could get a free dowloaded game if I register Mario Kart but I don't see any paper in the box with a code on it except the free hulu promotion thing. Am I missing something? :eek:
Register Mk on the club Nintendo site.

richd_3

Man my posts are always at the bottom of a page =/

Well it looks like the site is being hammered. I guess I'll try later but I was really looking forward to some Zelda HD tonight :(

Be persistent and keep reloading. Eventually you'll get through. Took me a while though. Was reloading my phone browser in between every race.

MK Wii was fun, but the online was just fucked. Having a high rating just meant that you lost 50 points every time you didn't get top 3.

BTW Dry Dry Ruins was already bad back then, it's worse now.

Kinsei

Banned

You should get it after registering your system on Club Nintendo. If you don't get one after that call Nintendo customer support.

I can respect whoever threw that banana, I got sniped. I guess I'm out though. Nice to see other PGP are starting to use my same setup.

_woLf

I'm really liking the game so far (and my gf is too, which makes me happy!) but it's driving both of us absolutely insane how often you get the coin item when you're in the top 3.

It's really frustrating and leads to a ton of 1st to 10th situations. :(

Also, battle mode is a complete disappointment. It's fun, but I'm spending most of my time trying to find people because we're going the same direction on the track. I hate to say it but I REALLY hope Nintendo adds true Battle maps as DLC.

Kyuur

You register the copy of Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo, no code.

Top Bottom