• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

WorldStar

Banned
Can we PLEASE get a hints/tips/tricks thread for Mario Kart 8? or is there one already? there are so many little nuances in this game that the manual does not cover.

also, for people who say stuff like Pink Gold Peach is OP, I thought all characters with the same stats in this chart are identical...?

x5YoBRM.png

EDIT: actually according to the chart, how is pink gold peach better than wario, morton, or bowser? same stats besides the fact that she has a lower speed

MicH

150CC is too much for me. I can't even get 1 star :( I always get hot just before the finish line even though I was in the lead 90% of the race

Both the metal characters have higher weights for smaller sizes. It makes them better, to me at least. And MM is OP too, but he's a lame character. So PGP is better.

ChrisD

Can we PLEASE get a hints/tips/tricks thread for Mario Kart 8? or is there one already? there are so many little nuances in this game that the manual does not cover.

also, for people who say stuff like Pink Gold Peach is OP, I thought all characters with the same stats in this chart are identical...?

x5YoBRM.png

EDIT: actually according to the chart, how is pink gold peach better than wario, morton, or bowser? same stats besides the fact that she has a lower speed

Think it was a joke. The dude's tearing stuff up as PGP.

However, characters do have hidden stats, so who knows. Someone may be better in the long run. There was a reason Funky Kong and Daisy were better than everyone else on MK Wii.

From what I gather, Pink Gold Peach and Metal Mario can get more speed with the right equipment more than Bowser and DK. The chart stats are probably for standard karts. For some reason, some heavyweights are OP in this game due to this.

Edit: Like why Funky Kong on bike was so good despite him being heavy.

daydream

Banned
Getting hit by a random ass green shell in the final stretch might actually be the most infuriating thing.

No wait, that would be COMMUNICATION ERRORS DURING THE RACE AUGHHH

From what I gather, Pink Gold Peach and Metal Mario can get more speed with the right equipment more than Bowser and DK. The chart stats are probably for standard karts. For some reason, some heavyweights are OP in this game due to this.

Not really, those are base stats (without karts). The advantage of metal characters is that they're smaller targets.

I don't think MKWii had multiple characters with the same stats, explaining Funky Kong.

Not really, those are base stats (without karts). The advantage of metal characters is that they're smaller targets.

I don't think MKWii had multiple characters with the same stats, explaining Funky Kong.
Could be. I still think there are hidden stats though. Like I can get more speed with Koopa than Toad.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'll ask again.

Should there by a separate MK8 online thread because this one is just being filled with one liners about shells and disconnections. It's hardly debate.

boxter432

[*] Star power up speed still seems low, compared to MK Wii so increase the speed a little
[/LIST]

really agree....unless i am in a spot to cut corners through grass/mud I never pass anyone with it, and rarely get passed (see the star icon pop up meaning someone is flashing behind me, but they never get close)

maybe add a slight invincible time after being hit...too often I get shelled, then piranha'd right as I stop spinnging then bumped or something else and its 2nd to 11th for no reason.

Kinsei

Banned
The piranha plant eats bloopers. This better be a staple of the MK series, and not forgotten after one game like the super leaf.

MilesTeg

Banned
really agree....unless i am in a spot to cut corners through grass/mud I never pass anyone with it, and rarely get passed (see the star icon pop up meaning someone is flashing behind me, but they never get close)

I agree, star isn't very effective for catching up in this game.

kaskade

Played for a few hours with my friends last night and had a blast. I'm definitely going to have to pick up my own copy soon. I can see getting really addicted trying to nail some runs. Good job on this one Nintendo.

Berordn

The piranha plant eats bloopers. This better be a staple of the MK series, and not forgotten after one game like the super leaf.

Super Leaf was a dumb, spammy item. Piranha Plant is MASTERFUL.

If it doesn't come back I'm boycotting something :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

maybe add a slight invincible time after being hit...too often I get shelled, then piranha'd right as I stop spinnging then bumped or something else and its 2nd to 11th for no reason.

more for instant acceleration and cutting corners instead of just popping it on a straightaway.

I think it's fine like that.

Top Bottom