• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Does anyone else enjoy looking at te Miis in the lobby? So many glasses and facial hair haha. And every once in a blue moon there's a girl... Or just a guy with girls hair or a mullet haha

ChrisD

N64 Royal Raceway really makes you appreciate the new drifting. So good. Especially reverse drifting.

Edit: Communication Errors are a thing. But it's been so long. :(

komplanen

Does anyone else enjoy looking at te Miis in the lobby? So many glasses and facial hair haha. And every once in a blue moon there's a girl... Or just a guy with girls hair or a mullet haha

Sometimes there's a bird with a helmet. I like to think of him as someone who made the Mii from a photo and he's just so peculiar looking.

Sometimes there's a bird with a helmet. I like to think of him as someone who made the Mii from a photo and he's just so peculiar looking.
Haha yeah there's a few of those. Like there's one guy with a brown mullet that I cat decide if he used the camera, or if it's supposed to be a joke lol

Kyuur

You know, I wasn't on the 'Too many koopalings!' wave when the roster was first unveiled. But now that I am actually playing and unlocking characters, already unlocked Rosalina, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach, whenever I unlock a character I'm just kind like 'who gives a fuck'. Hopefully there are some cool DLC characters. :(

Akai__

Besides only having 1 item, I agree with all of these. The 1 item thing is growing on me a bit.

Anyway, most of the stuff I'd want change is mechanics/physics based. I feel like you have far less control over you car underwater/in the air than in 7, making them less strategic and impactful on the race. In design as well, they feel underutilized: the glider typically is only used out of cannons and can't take advantage of short-cuts.

Likewise, the offroad mechanics are lame. Falling off the track entirely gets an immediate recovery and maintains your items. If you have mushrooms or a star, it can even be exploited to your advantage. I liked the old punishments better, with the drop boost being used as a skill-based way to recover. Just veering off the track even slightly, however, stops you dead in your tracks and kills your drift. In 7 I'd use the offroad to built a very quick boost, but here it's just annoying, not interesting. I also thing the general course design leans more towards small, quick, sharp turns instead of long boost-building turns which is okay, but I prefer 7's designs.

I think all the changes above make for a shallower game. Online is fun, but it hurts my enjoyment still.

In terms of actual patchable content, I just wanna see more options. Give me the option to mess with item randomness, turn some on or off, restrict characters or karts, etc. when playing versus or in a tournament. I also wish they'd bring back some of the old cut items like the POW block, even if not in normal play, because this game lacks some crazy factor at times.
Battle mode needs work too, and a mission mode would be nice.

It's all sorta this middle ground between 7's balance and Wii's party atmosphere and idk if it pulls either off because of it. I still like it, and I need to play more to get a final verdict, but I feel like I've seen most of what the game has to offer already. The antigrav, super slick online, and overall amazing presentation still makes it one of my favorite in the series though.

Really good points, especially the off-road part. The pick-up action, when players fall of off tracks, should be increased a little, imo, as well.

Why do you prefer a 1 item limit over an 2 item limit, though? Is it, because whoever is in 1st place, can defend himself more, if he has 2 items? I hear people saying, that they didn't like that in previous games, but I had the impression, that people like having 2 items more.

I also completely forgot about the battle mode. The battle tracks seem very boring and it takes sometimes forever, to find people, if you haven't a full lobby. I liked the battle modes in Mario Kart DS the most. Collecting stars and Balloon battles in that game, where really good and so were the battle maps, imo. Also an other point, which I liked about Mario Kart DS was doing those challenges and fighting the bosses on the final stage. Doing just time-trials feels really boring and people end up doing them, until they beat the time, which is given. There are always exceptions, though.

DedValve

Banned
Customer Support. Something a lot like that happened whenever the Ocarina of Time CDs went out.

customer support is getting hammered too :(

wth is going on? I also keep getting logged out after each page....man this site is a mess.

EDIT: Customer support just keeps hanging up on me....wow nintendo really?

EDIT 2: Customer service is down....screw this. I'll figure it out tomorrow. Get your shit together nintendo.

Haha yeah there's a few of those. Like there's one guy with a brown mullet that I cat decide if he used the camera, or if it's supposed to be a joke lol

If it's the rounder brown hair with blue glasses, that's me. I didn't use the camera and it wasn't a joke, I just have long hair and that was the closet fitting one. It's not even from the female section, either.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't think the horns actually work online. I've never heard anyone else/seen my guy jump and I beep that thing like crazy at the start.

If it's the rounder brown hair with blue glasses, that's me. I didn't use the camera and it wasn't a joke, I just have long hair and that was the closet fitting one. It's not even from the female section, either.
I don't think there were glasses, but I could be wrong. Do you have the (c: nose?

J@hranimo

Banned
Whaaaat you guys think it's the worst new track? What?!?!?!?!?

That goes to Music Park. I actually like it in MK7, but I am pretty disappointing they didn't do anything to it. It's bland compared to every other amazing track new and old.

Cheddahz

Banned
-likes none of the tracks that are up for selection
-chooses random track and it gets selected
-random track turns out to be music park

michael-scott-no.gif

Really good points, especially the off-road part. The pick-up action, when players fall of off tracks, should be increased a little, imo, as well.

Why do you prefer a 1 item limit over an 2 item limit, though? Is it, because whoever is in 1st place, can defend himself more, if he has 2 items? I hear people saying, that they didn't like that in previous games, but I had the impression, that people like having 2 items more.

I also completely forgot about the battle mode. The battle tracks seem very boring and it takes sometimes forever, to find people, if you haven't a full lobby. I liked the battle modes in Mario Kart DS the most. Collecting stars and Balloon battles in that game, where really good and so were the battle maps, imo. Also an other point, which I liked about Mario Kart DS was doing those challenges and fighting the bosses on the final stage. Doing just time-trials feels really boring and people end up doing them, until they beat the time, which is given. There are always exceptions, though.

I wouldn't say I like 1 item more, I just don't mind the way it's mixing up strategy and gameplay because they've balanced it pretty well. I need to play more to get a definitive opinion on it though. And yeah, I want to go back and play all of that stuff in MKDS again. It was fun, but I hating playing a Dpad on my phat DS. Gotta give it a try on my 3DS.

Also, has anyone else noticed items disappearing off the map? MK7 did it at times too, I guess there's a limit to the # of items in play at any one time. Or maybe a time limit? It's only been in single player for me so far, but bananas disappearing is lame. Also, a mushroom disappeared right before I drove over it :-<

Played a bit yesterday, looks amazing! Can't wait to join a GAF tournament soon :)

Bit weird but this is my first console Mario Kart, the 3DS one seemed easier online but maybe it wil grow on me

I don't think there were glasses, but I could be wrong. Do you have the (c: nose?

Ah, must not be me then. Yeah, there are some crazy Miis out there, especially in Worldwide. I found somebody with the craziest looking Mii the other day, they were appropriately named "IM HIGH"

Why is nobody ever in the Gaf tournament? :( I'm Qaiz btw if anyone sees me on the track. I use Rosalina.

I was playing with a full group an hour ago, I'll be on again soon.

Also can't believe how good this game looks on my 55", the demo I played was a jaggie mess. It's like a night and day difference.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Two questions, is there any use for the coins during the race? And between race I can press + to to something with a star - what is this?

boxter432

club nintendo finally worked...put in code for Zelda, went for a run (to the DMV to renew tabs....) came back and its downloaded! yippeeee

komplanen

The jumping trick baby Rosalina does where she shows her butt and looks at the camera gets me every time. Jesus Christ what am I doing lol

BM8

Neo Member
The more i play this the more i realize how good this game is.

Dolphin Shoals is a work of art, as well as other tracks, like RR64.

Battle Mode isnt as bad as i thought. Ive heard complaints that its hard to find people, but the gamepad displays the location of everyone. Id still like some arenas.

Top Bottom