• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

The more i play this the more i realize how good this game is.

Dolphin Shoals is a work of art, as well as other tracks, like RR64.

Battle Mode isnt as bad as i thought. Ive heard complaints that its hard to find people, but the gamepad displays the location of everyone. Id still like some arenas.

The whole game is a work of art. Every track is beautiful. Nintendo don good!

It's that 0015 one right?

Just the race tournament in the OP

BM8

Neo Member
Two questions, is there any use for the coins during the race? And between race I can press + to to something with a star - what is this?

Coins increase speed. After at max, they give you tiny boost. They also help unlock new parts.

The + 0/6, is so you can favorite a race, and it'll save to MKTV.

By default, it saves up to 12 recent races, but you can favorite one so it doesnt get bumped off the recent 12

prag16

Banned
So what's the story with the VR. I haven't played enough online races yet to gauge it...

I was hoping the gain/loss would scale based on the competition, but so far it kind of doesn't look like it really does; or if it does, not by a whole lot.

I'd prefer something that can be some semblance of a skill rating, rather than just tracking who has played the most matches (without totally sucking and finishing 8-12 every race).

Is it wrong that I hate the blooper for being good now?

It's less annoying to get it yourself now, it had absolutely no effect on my play in MKWii. I've missed jumps in this game because I had no idea where I was going.

Keep in mind that this also might be because everyone isn't all that familiar with the tracks, so Blooper screws you up easier.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's that 0015 one right?

There's a newer one, quote to see.

The way it works is it will throw you into a lobby without everyone searching at the same time, though. It's generally better to look at friends/recent players and join in from there since the rooms are populated though you might need to spectate for a little.

Played 4 player split screen and thought the game looked okay. Played single player and thought the game looked amazing. The silky smooth 60FPS is a thing of beauty.

Also tried two player online and the game was lag free. Nintendo has definitely impressed me.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Coins increase speed. After at max, they give you tiny boost. They also help unlock new parts.

The + 0/6, is so you can favorite a race, and it'll save to MKTV.

By default, it saves up to 12 recent races, but you can favorite one so it doesnt get bumped off the recent 12

Thanks! So how does this work with the coins, do I just get a boost from having them in my inventory (can have up to 10 I saw), or do I somehow need to use them? Or does the boost come when I collect them (if so, its really small).

BM8

Neo Member
Played 4 player split screen and thought the game looked okay. Played single player and thought the game looked amazing. The silky smooth 60FPS is a thing of beauty.

Played three player last night. Couldnt believe how bad 30fps looks after playing it in 60fps. Even though 30fps is definitely playable.

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks! So how does this work with the coins, do I just get a boost from having them in my inventory (can have up to 10 I saw), or do I somehow need to use them? Or does the boost come when I collect them (if so, its really small).

It comes when you collect them or use the coin item. Yes, the boost is incredibly small.

BM8

Neo Member

Boost comes from using the coin item. Coins off the track dont give a boost(or am i wrong?).

javac

There's a newer one, quote to see.

The way it works is it will throw you into a lobby without everyone searching at the same time, though. It's generally better to look at friends/recent players and join in from there since the rooms are populated though you might need to spectate for a little.

I've been in the wrong one all that time spamming the "Wait for more players!" text by myself :$ Thanks :)

Baleoce

I was kinda disappointed the sax version doesn't play through the entire stage.

same, they messed up the dolphin shoal music imo. it's not even consistent with whether you're underwater or on the surface. the sax variation is great. the underwater one just gets in the way.

also, that awkward transition when you're underwater near the end of the lap, and the sax is still going, and as soon as you cross the start / finish line, it goes back to the underwater one, just because.. really oddly done.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Coins raise your top speed. Hitting + favorites the replay of the race.

Ah ok, so they have a passive use then? Thanks!

Also, in Mario Kart Wii, it felt like there were more options, like automatic drifting for instance. Also, is it possible to do random tracks, choice items etc for multiplayer?

minty_jpg

So I jumped online and was destroyed. Any tips/tricks on not sucking at this game? I thought I was decent, but I guess living room sessions with your friends isn't the big leagues.

Ive been playing in the neogaf tournament as "Jer" a lot.

Is it just me or are the heavier characters like Wario and DK just almost useless in online matches? Acceleration seems more important.

same, they messed up the dolphin shoal music imo. it's not even consistent with whether you're underwater or on the surface. the sax variation is great. the underwater one just gets in the way.

also, that awkward transition when you're underwater near the end of the lap, and the sax is still going, and as soon as you cross the start / finish line, it goes back to the underwater one, just because.. really oddly done.

Totally agree with this. Stands out as very weirdly unpolished.

Roo

So... I played some mirror cups for my three stars ranking and I can't believe how hard the AI is.
I was in the last lap of Sunshine Airport and a blue shell hit me before the gliding section, no big deal... well, I couldn't be more wrong. Bowser was behind me with triple bananas. That bastard placed ALL of them right in front of me.
I couldn't believe it. That's something a real racer would do, not the CPU. Then the horde of green and red shells came and I got 8th.

Since Mario Kart Wii, I wanted a better AI from Mario Kart but damn they're kicking my ass.

Before N64 Rainbow Road was announced, I always thought that if they brought it back, they would need to shorten it and remove most of the guardrails but if they're putting every previous RR in a game now, the Super Circuit version is next.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll change because it's another flat track. The next game will likely be on a handheld anyway so I don't think they'll do anything too drastic.

javac

Oh fuck this shit. My gamepad is dead and I can't put in the gaf code. I have a fucking Pro Controller in my hand Nintendo! Jesus...

prag16

Banned
So what's the story with the VR. I haven't played enough online races yet to gauge it...

I was hoping the gain/loss would scale based on the competition, but so far it kind of doesn't look like it really does; or if it does, not by a whole lot.

I'd prefer something that can be some semblance of a skill rating, rather than just tracking who has played the most matches (without totally sucking and finishing 8-12 every race).

Bump for new page. Anybody know how the VR system works exactly?

Gonna keep saying this until hopefully someone notices.

This tournament is setup ALL WRONG.

Keeping the scoring period open so long just means that whoever plays the most will get the most points. It makes scoring pointless.

We can still play together even outside of the scoring period. Then, when we do actually want to have a proper tournament, we can play during the hopefully much shorter timeframe and actually make it mean something.

Kinsei

Banned
Before N64 Rainbow Road was announced, I always thought that if they brought it back, they would need to shorten it and remove most of the guardrails but if they're putting every previous RR in a game now, the Super Circuit version is next.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll change because it's another flat track. The next game will likely be on a handheld anyway so I don't think they'll do anything too drastic.

I think they'll remove the Paper Mario Bowser's Castle in the background when they remake it. The MK dev team seems to hate every other Mario spin-off.

Lasty95

Can anyone suggest to me why I can't join with friends who are playing?

They all seem to be able to join each other no probs, but the 'join' option's just faded out for me.

I can play with randoms no probs.

Missing out on all the fun.

:(

ffdgh

So... I played some mirror cups for my three stars ranking and I can't believe how unbelievable hard the AI is.
I was in the last lap of Sunshine Airport and a blue shell hit me before the gliding section, no big deal... well, I couldn't be more wrong. Bowser was behind me with triple bananas. That bastard placed ALL of them right in front of me.
I couldn't believe it. That's something a real racer would do, not the CPU. Then the horde or green and red shells came and I got 8th.

Since Mario Kart Wii, I wanted a better AI from Mario Kart but damn they're kicking my ass.

Tell me about it. Can't even fall or they will attack without mercy.

Keeping the scoring period open so long just means that whoever plays the most will get the most points. It makes scoring pointless.

We can still play together even outside of the scoring period. Then, when we do actually want to have a proper tournament, we can play during the hopefully much shorter timeframe and actually make it mean something.

Wasn't the point of this one to just play for fun? I'm pretty sure nobody takes the scores seriously. We can open a new one whenever anyone wants to have a serious tourney.

Baleoce

One's meant to be a drop in drop out community. "Play with GAF whenever you feel like it". Then when we will presumably have more organised ones those will be more of a competition. Just ignore the numbers, it's more of a "wall of shame" than anything else.

Top Bottom