• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

So after experimenting with rewinding/fast-forwarding in highlight reels for roughly a half-hour, I made this lovely video.
(please don't watch if you need sleep tonight)

So can you guys explain drafting in this game? It just seems so random. Sometimes it happens without expecting it and the other times when I'm directly behind someone nothing happens.

trixx

So can you guys explain drafting in this game? It just seems so random. Sometimes it happens without expecting it and the other times when I'm directly behind someone nothing happens.

The blue jump pads make your kart go higher and activates the parachute

edit:OH Drafting... lol idk

I've been playing for about 2 hours now. It's a lot of fun. I've unlocked everyone, except Wendy O. Although, I'm usually a Donkey Kong racer, I've grown quite fond of Lemmy. His look is awesome; So punk. I've also got to get used to the sport bike drifting. I really like the Yoshi Bike, but I can't get it down properly.

My favorite track, so far, is Twisted Mansion. The music is perfect. Mount Wario is up there, too.

Finally, what's the tournament community code? I see you guys playing it and I want in.

Wii Tank

I just played this game all day. I love it
iWBcrxrRHgdN0.gif

Kinsei

Banned
I've been playing for about 2 hours now. It's a lot of fun. I've unlocked everyone, except Wendy O. Although, I'm usually a Donkey Kong racer, I've grown quite fond of Lemmy. His look is awesome; So punk. I've also got to get used to the sport bike drifting. I really like the Yoshi Bike, but I can't get it down properly.

My favorite track, so far, is Twisted Mansion. The music is perfect. Mount Wario is up there, too.

Finally, what's the tournament community code? I see you guys playing it and I want in.

Tourney code is in the OP, near the bottom. Quote the OP to reveal it.

Stoze

Finishing up the cups on 100cc. This is the first Mario Kart I've played since the DS one, and it feels like a worthy sequel. Having a lot of fun, but I'm really damn rusty at Mario Kart. I haven't dove much into online yet (been playing splitscreen multi), I imagine everyone there will rip me a new one.

I can't vouch for this online, but 1st place is a much less frustrating position than I thought it would be/remember it to be. Blue shells feel very infrequent, and the horn item is more common than I thought. I can usually get it once a match or every other match if I'm throwing my items right before hitting the ? blocks.

Really love the game..

..but feel embarrassed and awkward on Nintendo's behalf for battle mode.

I avoided all news about this game.. battle mode made me say a big WTF?

Kinsei

Banned
I don't understand. I'm going to beat a dead fucking horse

I do not get the mechanics. I don't get it. Sure you need skill to drift and not fall off track but even if you do that perfectly, shell in the ass. How are some of you consistently getting first? There are tracks I know flawlessly and yet, 4 shells in space of three seconds. And you know, I'm not going to get a horn handy for every blue shell that comes my way. I do to get to pick my items and even if I could, I'm sure they would touch anyone ahead of me.

Argh

http://youtu.be/pl6hzf3FvN4?t=7s

We've all come to know and love the randomness of the series.

stuminus3

To the son of a bitch who just nailed me with a red shell after taking Azuran's top spot with a lucky green one randomly fired from a mile away right at the end... I hate you.

Azure J

So for anyone wondering, the Mario and Baby Rosalina playing currently are my brother and youngest sister. I only use Toad and Rosalina. :p

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Why can't they just give you some kind of blue shell immunity after you've already been nailed once? I was hoping this two blue shell a race thing would be gone by now :(

lt519

I don't understand. I'm going to beat a dead fucking horse

I do not get the mechanics. I don't get it. Sure you need skill to drift and not fall off track but even if you do that perfectly, shell in the ass. How are some of you consistently getting first? There are tracks I know flawlessly and yet, 4 shells in space of three seconds. And you know, I'm not going to get a horn handy for every blue shell that comes my way. I do to get to pick my items and even if I could, I'm sure they would touch anyone ahead of me.

Argh

Get ahead fast. It is essential to collect and have 10 coins and be in front of the pack. If you end up in the middle you are doomed so you need to get ahead early and shield with items. You'll still get screwed now and then but the only way to three star or dominate online is build a fast lead and keep it. You may catch one or two shells, one if which you can block if you are far ahead, but if you are catching four then you can still get much better skill wise (I'm not there yet in 8 but have been with past Kart titles).

Roo

Why can't they just give you some kind of blue shell immunity after you've already been nailed once? I was hoping this two blue shell a race thing would be gone by now :(

They're pretty rare anyway.
I played like 3 hours in the GAF tournaments and there were like... 5-7 blue shells.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
They're pretty rare anyway.
I played like 3 hours in the GAF tournaments and there were like... 5-7 blue shells.

I've seen 5 in the last 3 races. It's definitely not as common as it was in MK Wii or 7, but that's the last thing on my mind when I lose a race because of one.

Top Bottom