• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I got a day off this Fri.

Perfect timing? :D

Sure is!
Hmm...maybe too perfect...
FryNarrowedEyes.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
Got some of you guys' friend requests and I just sent some more out. I'll probably add more during the week too. Hope to get a healthy friend list by launch!

sgjackson

Some tips:

-If you get a lightning, don't use it right away. Either wait for the people ahead of you to get their items first and *then* zap or just zap a mob when they're over a pit.

-You should be able to find World Record Time Trial runs on youtube soon after the game comes out. Watching these for tracks you suck at is highly recommended because you'll learn the best paths. You'll probably have trouble mimicking their exact racing lines, but you will probably learn some things in general.

-If you get a Spiny/Blue Shell, try to time it so it will hit somebody on the ground. This is very useful.

-Always use the coin item before the next item box. However, if you're already at max coins then hold the coin item until *right before* the next item box, in case you get hit and need to quickly recover your coin count.

-If you're in 2nd and see 1st brake and have no way to dodge/destroy a blue shell, brake. They're trying to make you get hit by a blue shell if they do that.

-If you're not using the GamePad then put it on a stand in front of you so you can still easily look at it to see people's items.

-Send me your Wii U via the mail.
JK

-Using the rear view mirror to aim when firing backwards is highly recommended, though don't take too long because you don't want to crash.

-While you should aim for 1st, make it your primary goal to simply not get last. It's a far healthier mindset than the "2nd = horrible" mindset I've seen occasionally.

-After the item box reel has gone for a certain amount of time, you can tap the item button to stop it. You can also just mash, but it's not any faster.

-This is the most important: Do some casual Time Trialing. You'll improve significantly with even some lighthearted time trialing. Just find a few tracks you like and try to get the fastest time you can on them using the "proper" strategy that can be found on the interwebs, though do it with the combo you intend to use online. Your vehicle control and racing lines should improve significantly if you do that. If there's one thing in this list that I recommend actually remembering to do, it's this one. This alone should be enough to stop you from getting destroyed.

this is a good post and should probs be in the op

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Listening to the Gamexplain rag on Pink Gold Peach and the weight.
Come on, Birdo and Pauline as Metal-heavy class?

Mine01

I use this app on my phone () to browse gaf, just letting you guys know that it lets you see "hidden" stuff without an account.

Just saying lol.

I've just realized that the Koopa Kids in MK8 give us a great glimpse at what it would look like if EAD4 tried to make the NSMB games visually appealing.
:p

Josh5890

I'm doing my best to avoid any videos of Mario Kart. I want to come into this game seeing these tracks start to finish for the first time.

Not really a shortcut, since he's just dropping from an upper route to a lower route there.
I know, but it shows that at least Lakitu isn't automatically going to grab you if there's track beneath you. Hopefully there'll be some more extreme examples that actually shave off a good amount of time.

Ken

Welp, pre-ordered a copy. Now to go find my controllers...

Haven't really played a Mario Kart since...64, I think, so I'm pretty excited.

Top Bottom