• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Summer rain

Neo Member
Only 4 days left! Im really looking forward to this, the only issue I have is that it seams that I won´t be able to chat with my friends during the matches and only in the lobby. Anyone who knows if this is true?

And its a shame Nintendo won´t have a function so the player 1 can play on his Gamepad and player 2 can have the Tv screen for his own.

Azuran

Banned
Only 4 days left! Im really looking forward to this, the only issue I have is that it seams that I won´t be able to chat with my friends during the matches and only in the lobby. Anyone who knows if this is true?

And its a shame Nintendo won´t have a function so the player 1 can play on his Gamepad and player 2 can have the Tv screen for his own.

It's true. No voice chat during races even with friends.

I like to believe they didn't implement that because they don't want the gamepad player to have an advantage since they can obviously see what's happening on the TV screen as well. That's the only way I can try to explain why that function is not in the game. It really does seems like a complete oversight :/

AusGAF: Pre-ordered at EB Games (as Big-W wouldn't let me) as who knows how many Big-W will get in; said they will match Big-W's $58AU on the day.

Summer rain

Neo Member
Well, you could always use Skype. It's practically the same thing. :p

I would like a voice chat option though.
It's absence is not going to hinder my experience, but it would be nice to have.

Yeah I know :) Thats what I´ll have to do. But it´s just so...sad. I was talking with friends in Pandora tomorrow for Xbox. 10 years ago! :p

PrimeX

Ordered the download code from game.co.uk and I have received the code right away on mail, not just a confirmation email with the promise that the code will be in my mailbox on release date.
But the code is not active on eShop until release date though.

just bought a wii u for this game. well also super mario 3d.

welcome-to-funland.jpg

SM3DW is awesome; just don't judge till after the first 3 worlds :)

spekkeh

Banned
Welp, pre-ordered a copy. Now to go find my controllers...

Haven't really played a Mario Kart since...64, I think, so I'm pretty excited.

Same here!

welcome-to-funland.jpg

SM3DW is awesome; just don't judge till after the first 3 worlds :)
Third world (ice?) is my favorite I think. But yeah the first two worlds are pretty pedestrian. I was regretting my purchase at that point. Later, not so much.

Mistle

AusGAF: Pre-ordered at EB Games (as Big-W wouldn't let me) as who knows how many Big-W will get in; said they will match Big-W's $58AU on the day.

there's a midnight launch in melbourne at the nintendo store and i kind of wanted to go, but they won't pricematch stores that aren't currently open, so i'll have to skip the midnight launch as I'm cheap :(

Hmm so if you by the game at Target next week it comes with a free Mario Themed WiiU Wheel. Guess i'm gonna have every controller option available for this game after Friday :p

Edit: Meh was hoping it was the Red Mario Wheel but this one isn't that bad.

291572_scr1_a.png

AdanVC

Nintendo Japan updated their MK8 website and I can't get enough of the beautiful artwork for this game. I just love this illustration in particular:
cha_kinopio.png

It's great because I can also imagine that this is artwork for Super Mario Galaxy 3 so it's a total win.

Tirod

So I picked up a Wii U Pro Controller with Tropical Freeze earlier this year since I knew I'd be using it for Mario Kart and Smash as well.

My question regarding the Wii U Pro Controller is this: can acceleration and braking/drifting be accomplished with the trigger buttons?

I've gotten so accustomed to playing racing games like this, it's gonna be hard to go back to holding "A" or whatever.

It's not game breaking or anything to me, just personal preference. Sorry if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread.

Hmm so if you by the game at Target next week it comes with a free Mario Themed WiiU Wheel. Guess i'm gonna have every controller option available for this game after Friday :p

Edit: Meh was hoping it was the Red Mario Wheel but this one isn't that bad.

291572_scr1_a.png

I still rock the golden Zelda Wii Mote plus a golden Wii Wheel ;-) Total showoff :D

Does anybody know if 7/11 convenience stores in Japan carry Wii U codes by now? The ones near my home and work don't have any.

I have like 6000 points on my Nanaco card, so I could basically get the game for free. I could still get prepaid cards for ¥6.000 if the don't offer Mario Kart 8's game code...

Pre-ordered a couple days ago and threw my name onto the GAF list, but does the Wii U have a limit to how many friends you can have? That spreadsheet is already getting close to 300 entries...

DrWong

France, Paris, Place de la République: just bought it a few minutes ago. French retailers are broking the street release date. Can't wait to leave the office.

NNID: DrWong

MicH

I already got my download code Nd will be downloading this et precisely midnight come Friday! I can't wait to play with you all! (I too have the day off Friday!)

My NNID is Traipez. Feel free to add me!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Street Dates are being broken already? Well fuck. This really makes me reconsider going digital

It's raining like mad here... do I take my chances and walk through the rain to ask my local shop if they already have it while being soaking wet and risk a cold? Decisions decisions... :p

KHlover

Banned
It's raining like mad here... do I take my chances and walk through the rain to ask my local shop if they already have it while being soaking wet and risk a cold? Decisions decisions... :p

Get game, actually get cold. Call in sick. Your time to play MK8 has just drastically increased :p

Don't do that

Street Dates are being broken already? Well fuck. This really makes me reconsider going digital

I doubt any UK stores will break street dates. Perhaps smaller, independents. Nintendo are quick to pull the trigger on those selling early. There is a chance they'll come down on those French stores selling early like a tonne of bricks. Still, it doesn't affect the buyer, so get it early if you can!

If you shop online though, it's likely people will get their copy on Thursday. Various online retailers have the game in-stock and are prepping for delivery. They will be shipped on Wednesday - usually this means it turns up Thursday, but it depends on the post.

I'm actually hoping I don't get the free shirt with mine so it fits through the letterbox. I'll be at work all day and I have to leave it 48 hours if the post gets missed. I did not specify which shirt size I wanted - hopefully it'll mean I wont get one and I wont have to wait for the game. None of the sizes on offer would fit me, anyhoo.

moozoom

On my way to the store to pick up the game... I guess I wont work much today... Already sent google invites for a mk party tomorrow night !

Top Bottom