• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

javac

Money has been taken out of my account. The end is near.
flhWIuf.png

daydream

Banned
Just preordered since I won't have the time to go out and buy a copy. Maybe won't be here on Friday, but hey, what can you do. Would have loved a steelbook, as well, but I'm too slow for these things (it being an Amazon exclusive is ridiculous, anyway).

Marvie_3

Banned
Agree! And actually think its possible - Wind Waker HD was a success so imagine Nintendo would consider more Gamecube HD releases.

Imagine how amazing this game would be in 1080p with upgraded textures, effects and multiplayer online. Do it Ninny!

Yes please.

Greenymac

But Im new to New to GAF. When it comes to MK though Im a salty old vet. Just grabbed wii u last week, so add me. NNID is Greeny_4.0

Im not sure if anyone was aware, but a few stores are doing pretty nice deals when you buy the game:

• Target:
    Target is giving away a Mario Kart 8 branded Wii Remote Wheel when you purchase the game. ($9.99 Value)
  • Toys R Us:
    TRU is offering a 40% off any Wii U game deal when you buy MK8 (Of equal or lesser value)

That's all on top of the obvious Club Nintendo promo. The wheel is neat.
mario_kart_8_racing_wheel_wii_u.jpg

Also if you haven't already been to Target to get the Mario Kart 8 keychains you ought to do that ASAP. (if they even still have them)
XNpqrfg.jpg

Yes and No. Lets ignore the 1fps framedrop when racing against CPU controlled opponents to make this easier.

When playing 1 or 2 players you indeed get 60fps.
When playing 3 or 4 players, well this is when it apparently get strange.

Player 1 and 2 part of screen is indeed 30fps, and the player 3 and 4 part is indeed 30fps, but the entire screen of 1, 2 ,3, 4 player is 60fps :O

Oh yeah I read the Digital Foundry article and the idea of even/odd frame updates for players 1-2 and 3-4 I was just simplifying it myself, thanks for the info still though :) Quite a interesting technique and I'm curious how this will feel in person :eek: I'm kind of grateful that I can very well easily spot the difference between 60 and 30fps but it doesn't bother me as much on consoles. Playing through Far Cry 1 with 15fps back in the day because my PC couldn't do better might have hardened me in that regard :p

And one question, in the OP, what is meant with Wii Remote Controls? Holding the Wiimote sideways and steering with the D-Pad without motion-controls?! If so that's a megaton for me! :D

EulaCapra

Why is Double Dash so hard to play now? I was quite excellent back in the day, but after MK:DS and onward, I cannot get into the control groove.

Blues1990

*added to spreadsheet*

CanadaGAF, add me! Can't wait til Friday

NNID: iamRyanBankz

Added my NNID( ssjbeelzebub ) to the spreadsheet, add me gaffers.. I'ma gonna win!

Everyone feel free to add me

NNiD: Deap92x

I was able to add you fine folks, and I'll see you in the funny papers. As mentioned before, I've added my NNID to the spreadsheet, but here it is for reference: ChickenPotPie23

Probably to prevent teaming-up that could be annoying for solo players in the lobby

Not really...

Likely want to prevent 1 person racing getting wins while 3 others troll everyone else.

So limit it to friends only then? I agree that it would be horrible if you were playing just random people, but that it seems lame that a console generation later I still cant take 3 other people online with me and play friends at a separate house. Just a bummer.

Tabasco

Im not sure if anyone was aware, but a few stores are doing pretty nice deals when you buy the game:

• Target:
    Target is giving away a Mario Kart 8 branded Wii Remote Wheel when you purchase the game. ($9.99 Value)
  • Toys R Us:
    TRU is offering a 40% off any Wii U game deal when you buy MK8 (Of equal or lesser value)

Also if you haven't already been to Target to get the Mario Kart 8 keychains you ought to do that ASAP. (if they even still have them)
XNpqrfg.jpg
Are you sure it's Target giving away the Mario Kart 8 Wheel or is that Walmart?

If Target is giving it away too then I might go with them. I still can't decide between Walmart, Target, and Gamestop.

With Walmart I could pick up the game at midnight probably.

Ok stop posting F-Zero gif please because if there is no F-Zero announcement during E3 I'm going to cry.... and you all know I'm going to cry :'(

Deku Tree

Walmart is definitely giving away the wheel. Maybe target too. No not sure. I'm going with gamestop because I've got lots of store credit.

Javier

I will be out of town all week without Wii U access, but I'll return home on Friday with the game. So anyone who wants to add me to their friend list by all means do so, and I will confirm the invite on Friday. I plan to spend a lot of time with this game.

Also, fair warning, I will be deleting everyone who has been offline for over a month from my friend list a few days after the release of MK8.

Azuran

Banned
Chû Totoro;113400238 said:
Ok stop posting F-Zero gif please because if there is no F-Zero announcement during E3 I'm going to cry.... and you all know I'm going to cry :'(

Let's be honest, we all been crying for years by now. :(

javac

In any case, I'll start off by doing all the cups and tracks in order. Doubt I'll 3 star everything straight away but I'll try to get my mojo back. See what karts and set-ups I like etc. I usually go for set-ups with higher handling but I'll see how it goes. I'm home all day and all week since I'm working from home so I'll always be ready for some games. I'll be online on Friday (granted if I actually get my delivery on Friday) for sure.

Duallusion

I hope it's not considered rude if you don't use voice chat in online multiplayer (or in lobbies, in this case). I don't enjoy struggling with my broken english with strangers so I avoid it all together.

This will also be my first Mario Kart, if you can imagine that. Looking forward to getting obliterated online. :)

Kinsei

Banned

• Target:
  • Toys R Us:

XNpqrfg.jpg

Do you know if they're doing the MK8 wheel deal in Canada? I can't find anything about it on their site.

That keychain is pretty cool, but I prefer the checkered flag myself.

Raxus

I hate to keep cancelling my preorder for this but if it is true Toys R Us is also giving a 40% discount to another WiiU game. I am thinking of getting this and Super Mario 3D World.

javac

I hope it's not considered rude if you don't use voice chat in online multiplayer (or in lobbies, in this case). I don't enjoy struggling with my broken english with strangers so I avoid it all together.

This will also be my first Mario Kart, if you can imagine that. Looking forward to getting obliterated online. :)

Not at all! I avoid voice chat too since I hate my voice lol. Us two will let our skills do the talking :p

Also don't be intimidated by this being your first Mario Kart. The game is set up so everyone has a good chance with the items balancing everything out. Just have fun and don't be discouraged! Practice in single player beforehand.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit

For once the free-game offer that comes with MK8 digital is actually valid in Scandinavia (Bergsala)

Not sure what I want though, the ones I don't have is Sonic, Mario&Sonic, G&W, and party U

Roo

Holy shit

For once the free-game offer that comes with MK8 digital is actually valid in Scandinavia (Bergsala)

Not sure what I want though, the ones I don't have is Sonic, Mario&Sonic, G&W, and party U

From those...it's a tie between Mario& Sonic and Wii Party U

javac

I have most of the free games aside from Wario Ware, MH3, Mario and Sonic and Wii Party U but I'm not interested and any of them so I'll just get the most valuable one and sell it. Think of it as a voucher.

Not at all! I avoid voice chat too since I hate my voice lol. Us two will let our skills do the talking :p

Also don't be intimidated by this being your first Mario Kart. The game is set up so everyone has a good chance with the items balancing everything out. Just have fun and don't be discouraged! Practice in single player beforehand.

In that case, I'm gonna add you two if it's ok... since I totally hate my voice lol.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Just say "I play to win" and you'll be set.

Bodom

Banned
Also added myself to the Spreadsheet (Line 250). NNID : Treeforce

I'm in Luxembourg and will certainly play mostly every evening (CET) so feel free to add me and send me a PM so I'll add you back. Looking forward to some fun tournaments ^_^

Top Bottom