• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Grizzo

Oh yeah, I added myself to the spreadsheet.

I'm from France (so CET) and I'll be mostly playing at night. Feel free to add me, wherever you are in the world! I already added everyone from France.

NNID: Poplemousse

Tabasco

To anyone that adds me, I probably won't be turning on my Wii U until launch day.

I added my NNID to the spreadsheet, but for convenience, it's:

NNID: Costcosaurus

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I will give the game a try once my nephew gets it at the end of the month since the game does look like fun and I got to say I'm kicking myself for not noticing this earlier but after watching so more gameplay footage I noticed that the whole sideways and upside down thing was also done in Crash Nitro Kart including the whole floating wheel animation but I'm sure plenty of others noticed this way before me.

I'm not sure if I want to pick Mario Kart up at midnight somewhere or if I want to get the free wheel at Target Friday morning. I'm off Friday and I'm torn.

This will also be my first Mario Kart, if you can imagine that. Looking forward to getting obliterated online. :)
Some tips:

-If you get a lightning, don't use it right away. Either wait for the people ahead of you to get their items first and *then* zap or just zap a mob when they're over a pit.

-You should be able to find World Record Time Trial runs on youtube soon after the game comes out. Watching these for tracks you suck at is highly recommended because you'll learn the best paths. You'll probably have trouble mimicking their exact racing lines, but you will probably learn some things in general.

-If you get a Spiny/Blue Shell, try to time it so it will hit somebody on the ground. This is very useful.

-Always use the coin item before the next item box. However, if you're already at max coins then hold the coin item until *right before* the next item box, in case you get hit and need to quickly recover your coin count.

-If you're in 2nd and see 1st brake and have no way to dodge/destroy a blue shell, brake. They're trying to make you get hit by a blue shell if they do that.

-If you're not using the GamePad then put it on a stand in front of you so you can still easily look at it to see people's items.

-Send me your Wii U via the mail.
JK

-Using the rear view mirror to aim when firing backwards is highly recommended, though don't take too long because you don't want to crash.

-While you should aim for 1st, make it your primary goal to simply not get last. It's a far healthier mindset than the "2nd = horrible" mindset I've seen occasionally.

-After the item box reel has gone for a certain amount of time, you can tap the item button to stop it. You can also just mash, but it's not any faster.

-This is the most important: Do some casual Time Trialing. You'll improve significantly with even some lighthearted time trialing. Just find a few tracks you like and try to get the fastest time you can on them using the "proper" strategy that can be found on the interwebs, though do it with the combo you intend to use online. Your vehicle control and racing lines should improve significantly if you do that. If there's one thing in this list that I recommend actually remembering to do, it's this one. This alone should be enough to stop you from getting destroyed.

Some tips:

-If you get a lightning, don't use it right away. Either wait for the people ahead of you to get their items first and *then* zap or just zap a mob when they're over a pit.

In the Mario Karts that show other people's items (MKDS, MK7, MK8) it may be actually better to use the lightning bolt right away so that the other racers can't act in anticipation.

Tabasco

In the Mario Karts that show other people's items (MKDS, MK7, MK8) it may be actually better to use the lightning bolt right away so that the other racers can't act in anticipation.
I would say the same should go for the blue shell.

The person in first place can tell somebody has it and they'll have enough time to brake if it's not used right away.

ffdgh

Actually that's even better at times. If you wait for their item to run out, then use the lightning to screw them over lol. Fun to do in 7.

Azuran

Banned
I would say the same should go for the blue shell.

The person in first place can tell somebody has it and they'll have enough time to brake if it's not used right away.

I always hold the blue shell as long as I can. Maybe it's just me, but I swear half of the people always brake, giving you an easy way to catch up and even take first place if everyone is intimidated. Sometimes they even group together, which means you can blow everyone at once. So satisfying when it happens.

noodleboy

Yo, AusGAF. Big W will be selling this for $58.

7DkvaVm.jpg

$22 cheaper than the RRP. Mental!

This will be mine...

That's actually one of the reasons I recommend holding onto it; most people will blow their dodges the moment they see you have a lightning. So then you just wait out the dodges and zap them. EDIT: Dang it ffdgh you ninja lol

Ken

Hi guys.

I woke up and decided I wanted to get this. Is there any word on which controller "feels" the best with this game so I know if I should dig out my Wii wheel.

Azuran

Banned
Hi guys.

I woke up and decided I wanted to get this. Is there any word on which controller "feels" the best with this game so I know if I should dig out my Wii wheel.

They should all work fine if we go by MKW, but most people will probably say the Classic Pro/Wii U Pro works the best for MK.

javac

I was going to use the Gamepad but I finally bought two Wii U Pro Controllers which should be here in a day or two. I have soo many Wii remotes, Wii Classic Controllers and Classic Controller Pros but I thought I'd try the Wii U Pro Controller. Never used one before.

Five more days, just five more days and it's mine.
I have never been this excited about a MK game before. I've always looked forward to them, but they never hyped me up like a Zelda/Mario game usually does.
NNID: MisterGrey93
I probably won't be turning on my WiiU until MK launches, but I'll be happy to add anyone on GAF as a friend.

Edit: I should probably try to finish CoL, and set up the external hard drive. So I'll probably be using my WiiU a lot this week. :p

The_Afroman

Spoiler question.. Does the game have any hidden/unlockable characters? I know of pink gold peach and such.. But any actual hidden ones?

zroid

Banned
Five more days, just five more days and it's mine.
I have never been this excited about a MK game before. I've always looked forward to them, but they never hyped me up like a Zelda/Mario game usually does.

been a long time for me as well. haven't truly been hyped since double dash, or maybe MKDS.

MK8 just looks too good not to be... despite the gimped battle mode

Azuran

Banned
Spoiler question.. Does the game have any hidden/unlockable characters? I know of pink gold peach and such.. But any actual hidden ones?

If you're not in blackout mode, we fully know everything about the game at this point. So the chances of there being hidden characters we don't know about is basically zero. But yes, there are unlockable characters.

I already own all the freebies being offered...so I'm going to get a code for Zelda or Pikmin. If any gaffers are interested in trading me for it, or buying it, send me a PM and we can work something out. Probably looking to get $25 or so out of it

If you're not in blackout mode, we fully know everything about the game at this point. So the chances of there being hidden characters we don't know about is basically zero. But yes, there are unlockable characters.

I'm in blackout mode except I've seen some of the Nintendo stuff and previews on the demo units.

So it's metal mario, gold peach, and a nursery's worth of babies, and that's it?

Are you sure it's Target giving away the Mario Kart 8 Wheel or is that Walmart?

If Target is giving it away too then I might go with them. I still can't decide between Walmart, Target, and Gamestop.

With Walmart I could pick up the game at midnight probably.

Yup, Target. Its actually in their ad for the week.

Do you know if they're doing the MK8 wheel deal in Canada? I can't find anything about it on their site.

That keychain is pretty cool, but I prefer the checkered flag myself.

I'm afraid I don't know that one. If you go to Target's website and check their ad (i honstly dont know if Canada even has weekly ads like in the US lol) you might see it there.

Regiruler

I wish the characters were harder to unlock (from what I've seen). I remember getting Bowser Jr. in Wii and being damn proud of it. When I got every character in 7 I was essentially "meh".

EDIT: Is "Herb Alpert" supposed to be on the top of the NNID list? I put my info in and thought that should be where "GAF username" should be but didn't want to touch it.

jeffers

oh snap! Was just a mk8 ad on UK TV (E4, big bang theory 11:50 ish). Thought they weren't gonna advertise till it was out and that made me sad. Glad to see some pre-release ads.

Killer

Banned
Just added my NNID to the list. can't wait for friday!

quick q:

How can i get the free game if i'm buying this digitally?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is the A button on the Wii U Pro controller more confortable than the one on the Wii Pro controller? Having my right thumb hurts after only 2 Grand Prix on Mario Kart Wii has me scared for Mario Kart 8. :( I want to play hours of Mario Kart damn it!

Berordn

Is the A button on the Wii U Pro controller more confortable than the one on the Wii Pro controller? Having my right thumb hurts after only 2 Grand Prix on Mario Kart Wii has me scared for Mario Kart 8. :( I want to play hours of Mario Kart damn it!

Slightly, but not by much. Keeping my finger on it for extended periods of time gives me a dull ache like it does for pretty much every other controller.

Smart people who value comfort accelerate with the Y button...

Gentlemen with class use the nunchuck + wiimote.

*turns up nose*

prag16

Banned
After all this, I realized I'm not entirely clear on how the tournaments work.

So you set up a private tournament and give people on gaf the code. Are races run only at scheduled times? Or does it run races whenever enough people are logged into that tournament? If races occur in that tournament while some past participants within the same tournament are offline, how is scoring tracked?

Am I totally misinterpreting how these work? Possibly. Just didn't seem like most vids/writeups I've seen got very specific with the mechanics..

After all this, I realized I'm not entirely clear on how the tournaments work.

So you set up a private tournament and give people on gaf the code. Are races run only at scheduled times? Or does it run races whenever enough people are logged into that tournament? If races occur in that tournament while some past participants within the same tournament are offline, how is scoring tracked?

Am I totally misinterpreting how these work? Possibly. Just didn't seem like most vids/writeups I've seen got very specific with the mechanics..

I am assuming (i.e. guessing) that there can be concurrent races. If you're offline, then you're not scoring points. I imagine they were designed to be short in length (a few hours) and not kept open all day long like we on GAF intend on doing. I don't think people here are so interested in 'winning' the tournament...it's just a convenient way for all of us to play together.

levyanime

Neo Member
Great OT. Subscribed and just added myself to the Community List.
NNID: levyanime. Add me when you guys get a chance, I'll be adding most of you!
Hope to have tons of fun playing this game with all of y'all!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
My gamestop said there is a potential for a midnight launch, I hope it's true since I gotta fly out the next day.

Top Bottom