• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

ugoo18

A player hitting you with an item would count as 7, and once you collect three more you have 10. It would still be 10, not 13. It's how many coins you finish with.

So i couldn't kill myself enough times to drop to 0 coins, refill to 10 and the redo that for x amount of time?

Considering that the unlocks for me so far have been every 50 or so coins i'm not sure how it's been counting then since there are only 4 races and if i understood you correctly that means all the times i've finished it would have only amounted to 40 coins since it's 4 races per cup.

m0t0k1

Keep in mind, it's somewhat short, too (at least IMO).

Yeah i found it pretty short too. I had a bit of fun but i would have waited for a sale but got caught into the hype of gaf. Should have known since i did not the wii dkc at all. If you want a better 2dplatformer check out NSMBU or Rayman Legends. Also 3d world is better then all of them. Man this thread moves fast. 2 more weeks until i can kart with you guys.

So i couldn't kill myself enough times to drop to 0 coins, refill to 10 and the redo that for x amount of time?

Considering that the unlocks for me so far have been every 50 or so coins i'm not sure how it's been counting then since there are only 4 races and if i understood you correctly that means all the times i've finished it would have only amounted to 40 coins since it's 4 races per cup.
Yup, that's it! And yeah, unless playing multiplayer, you can't unlock a part for each GP.

Yeah i found it pretty short too. I had a bit of fun but i would have waited for a sale but got caught into the hype of gaf. Should have known since i did not the wii dkc at all. If you want a better 2dplatformer check out NSMBU or Rayman Legends. Also 3d world is better then all of them. Man this thread moves fast. 2 more weeks until i can kart with you guys.
Yo you're crazy.

ugoo18

Yup, that's it! And yeah, unless playing multiplayer, you can't unlock a part for each GP.

Yo you're crazy.

Wait what?

All my unlocks upto 1000 coins have been through GP from 50cc to 150cc and i've been able to consistently unlock something each cup by making sure to get what i feel is 50 or so coins.

So my idea is only possible in 2/3/4p then?

Wait what?

All my unlocks upto 1000 coins have been through GP from 50cc to 150cc.

So my idea is only possible in 2/3/4p then?
No. You can only unlock 40 coins for each individual cup play through (10 per race). So you can't get one kart part (50 coins) per cup. Multiplayer allows you to get more (80, 120, 160) per cup, unlocking things faster. Your idea will never work.

ugoo18

No. You can only unlock 40 coins for each individual cup play through (10 per race). So you can't get one kart part (50 coins) per cup. Multiplayer allows you to get more (80, 120, 160) per cup, unlocking things faster. Your idea will never work.

Something isn't adding up here then, I've been able to consistently unlock something each cup by making sure to get what i feel is 50 or so coins.

Played it last night at my friends house and we all had a brilliant time, it's a fantastic game, brought me back to the joys of the original on SNES

ugoo18

Maybe you're counting wrong?

Don't think so, the only times i didn't unlock something were because of a particularly bad race in a cup were i don't get enough coins.

Looking at the IGN MK8 guide they also say every coin you collect adds to an overall coin count.

What's the best way to use the glider? I think I read somewhere that pulling back instantly after you jump makes you travel further and it does seem like that works, but I was wondering if it was any quicker than just racing on the ground.

That's an interesting question. I always feel like I'm wasting so much time in the air so I don't pull back to spend more time in it. Not sure which is better though.

How do you trail items in MK8?
I saw it being done, but I have no idea how :(

Hold the item button instead of tapping it.

Mik2121

Oh yeah, about the coins... I haven't unlocked anything since yesterday, and I've finished a ton of races with 10 coins each. What's up with that? Last thing I unlocked was probably at 1400 coins.

akaoni

Banned
I think every coin picked up might count, but picking up the same coin twice on each lap won't, or maybe even in each race. I just know you can't keep running over the same coins.

If you still have 50 coin unlocks with some patience and a counter it should be easy to check. Collect 100 coins and pass finish and if you unlock 2 things it certianly works.

40, 80, 120, 160, 200. All but the first trigger 50 coin unlocks.

m0t0k1

Yo you're crazy.

It is perfectly fine if you like DK but please expect there to be opinions like mine. I am not the only one with this opinion. I am 100% sure there will be people that who dislike mario kart 8 a lot so yeah. Also a friend of mine who also owns donkey kong found it way to hard. and dislike it also but that is not my reason. Different tastes make the world go round and i am happy for that.

ugoo18

If you still have 50 coin unlocks with some patience and a counter it should be easy to check. Collect 100 coins and pass finish and if you unlock 2 things it certianly works.

Not sure if i can test the 50 coin unlock anymore since i'm now into the 100 coin unlock range.

Tom_Cody

Don't think so, the only times i didn't unlock something were because of a particularly bad race in a cup were i don't get enough coins.

Looking at the IGN MK8 guide they also say every coin you collect adds to an overall coin count.
MK7 was definitely capped at 40 per (there were times when I was grinding coins), but I haven't played this enough to know for sure.

Hasney

Oh yeah, about the coins... I haven't unlocked anything since yesterday, and I've finished a ton of races with 10 coins each. What's up with that? Last thing I unlocked was probably at 1400 coins.

Have you been into single player since? The unlock isn't shown until you start a single player mode. Then when you've seen that unlock, next time you go back to to the title screen, it'll tell you if you've unlocked anything else on top.

Had to go into single player and back out again 3 times after my last multiplayer session to get all my parts!

EDIT: Might possibly work with local multiplayer menus too, but things don't unlock in the online character select screen, annoyingly.

Mik2121

Have you been into single player since? The unlock isn't shown until you start a single player mode. Then when you've seen that unlock, next time you go back to to the title screen, it'll tell you if you've unlocked anything else on top.

Had to go into single player and back out again 3 times after my last multiplayer session to get all my parts!

AAAahhh true. I haven't. Will check!

Something isn't adding up here then, I've been able to consistently unlock something each cup by making sure to get what i feel is 50 or so coins.

It's weird; it only shows you 1 unlocked item at a time. When you play online and get 150 coins and go to the title screen, the game will say you unlocked 1 item. Go to the character/kart screen and it unlocks. Go back to the title screen and it unlocks the 2nd item. Repeat for all 3 items...

Think the unlocks bump from 50 to 100. I am glad online coins count otherwise, I would not bother unlocking everything.

Edit: It will also unlock one thing at a time, so you may enter and exit SP to get all the items in case.

RiggyRob

That's an interesting question. I always feel like I'm wasting so much time in the air so I don't pull back to spend more time in it. Not sure which is better though.

The only downside to being in the air for longer that I can see is the possibility of bumping into headboards - in fact, if you pull back you'll be able to go into alternate paths for some tracks.

ugoo18

It's weird; it only shows you 1 unlocked item at a time. When you play online and get 150 coins and go to the title screen, the game will say you unlocked 1 item. Go to the character/kart screen and it unlocks. Go back to the title screen and it unlocks the 2nd item. Repeat for all 3 items...

I wish there was a coin counter to let you know how many you have so far. I would check this but now that i'm in the 100 unlock range and i have no idea how many i'm sitting on right now, all i know is that i'm between 1000 and 1100. I really don't want to do 1 coin per race or cup to find out lol.

Hasney

Seriously, my thumb still feels like holding A has destroyed nerve endings. I may try my classic controller pro instead next time... At least until I can accelerate with ZR.

The only downside to being in the air for longer that I can see is the possibility of bumping into headboards - in fact, if you pull back you'll be able to go into alternate paths for some tracks.

Yeah, it's true. But in cases like Royal Raceway where you're just flying straight to the track again, I kinda just go towards the ground or at least let it run out naturally. Though, thinking about it, I also feel like sometimes people fly over my head after I hit the track and they're still flying. Haha.

Robin64

Hit 2200 and still unlocking things (finally got Mr Scooty!)

Wonder when it will stop.. Until the 10,000 coin unlock, I mean.

Mik2121

Went back to the single player and I unlocked things from 1800 coins to 2500. I wonder if this is all I have to unlock besides the gold stuff and a couple characters...?

Top Bottom