• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
YES prevented the Blue Shell death with the horn!

1173.gif

Exile20

I am sure everyone is waiting for Wednesday to see the sales for MK8 so here is what Amazon.jp is showing right now

Mario Kart 8 - #2
Wii U PRO controller(Black) - #12
Wii U PRO controller(White) - #22
Wii Wheel - #34
Wii U basic - #36

Robin64

Lol, I played some online random yesterday and I was just shit.

Oh by they way, what cc is the NeoGAF group?

150cc. And let me tell you, when racing in the GAF group, you gotta go fast. We're talking getting round the track in a time that would beat the Staff Ghost whilst contending with other players and items too. It's brutal. I love it.

ugoo18

Damm 150cc freaking CPUs.....

I can't for the life of me beat them on Rainbow Road 64 to get a 3 star rating on the final GP for 150cc, every other track i can win but not this damm remade track -_-

5 attempts and everytime it's 2nd -_-

EDIT: 6th attempt..... nuts to this, i'm done for now lol -_-

I have been playing this game non-stop for 2 days. I am not good enough to play against GAF yet, but hot damn you guys make me want to join every race.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so half wqay through the grand prix on the next level section it has a star in the left hand side which turns gold if you press the start button (+) what does this do ?

Insaniac

Whats the difference between Handling vs Traction?

Also, any pros / cons of high top speed or acceleration? (aside from the obvious)

Omnicent

So what's everyone using kart/whee/glider wise? Any GAF favorites coming around with all the races?

PGP, Jet Bike (gotta get that inner drift and I don't like the looks of the other bikes that have ID), Roller/Azure Roller, and Cloud Glider.

I heard hype about cyber slicks, got them, and went back to my rollers. Spec is pretty well rounded (has good speed, accel, and handling which helps to hug the curves. Rosalina with this spec has .25 more accel, but fuck that! #Order of the PGP).

Also, any pros / cons of high top speed or acceleration? (aside from the obvious)
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Vehicle_parts

akaoni

Banned

High speed can let you gather distance quickly provided you don't get hit, the fastest will always outspeed everyone else if they drive well, but if you get stuck in the middle of the pack it can be difficult while taking hits while acceleration is good for recovering from hits. Basically speed feels like an 'all or nothing' while acceleration is a safe bet. Focus on raising those 2 stats as much as possible, and pick a vehicle you like cornering with.

I added a few of you from the spreadsheet, haven't had a chance to race against anyone yet though. I've been trying and struggling like hell to place in the top 3 on random, anxious to see how I'll do with GAF :p

Timeaisis

I will say playing with GAF does wonders for your MK skills. I *thought* I was good at Mario Kart before joining up (and, for all intents and purposes, I was) but the GAF group is just next level shit.

I decided to jump into online worldwide for fun last night just to see how I stack up. Took 1st easily in my first 3 races. I got bombarded by shells in the first lap at first, and even knocked off the stage. Glancing over at my position, I expected 9th, 10th or even dead last. I WAS STILL IN 4TH! Easy to catch up from that. At GAF I would've hit 9th place easy after that.

TL;DR: Play NeoGAF Tourney, git gud.

Azure J

I think I've officially found my favorite set up in the game:

Sport Bike + Off Roader wheels + MKTV Parafoil Glider. Rosalina abusing a 4.25 speed rating with 3.25 acceleration (the best I've seen with her thus far), and modestly balanced weight AND handling?

And the same setup works well with Toad?

And it looks supremely bitchin'?

GGs

I have never really been a person for playing multiplayer in console games. The times I have tried usually just leads to headaches and frustration because people treat whatever game it is like a life or death situation. I play for fun, I've had a blast playing against other GAF members these past couple days. I've had a couple wins but mostly I am at the back of the pack fighting to finish but even in those races I am having a good time.

Omnicent

I added a few of you from the spreadsheet, haven't had a chance to race against anyone yet though. I've been trying and struggling like hell to place in the top 3 on random, anxious to see how I'll do with GAF :p

If you have experinace in MK you will probably do fine. This is my first MK since the N64 days, so I was getting bodied all day Friday, though Sat/Sun I started to get better (Going to spend the week practicing and optimizing routes, like jumping off the road in RR and landing on the area below cutting some time off).

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i added my network id to spreadsheet but for people who dont look / its much appreciated if you could add me to friends would be great having some gaffers on there just got console today

Ashley278

Top Bottom