• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Azure J

I will say playing with GAF does wonders for your MK skills. I *thought* I was good at Mario Kart before joining up (and, for all intents and purposes, I was) but the GAF group is just next level shit.

I decided to jump into online worldwide for fun last night just to see how I stack up. Took 1st easily in my first 3 races. I got bombarded by shells in the first lap at first, and even knocked off the stage. Glancing over at my position, I expected 9th, 10th or even dead last. I WAS STILL IN 4TH! Easy to catch up from that. At GAF I would've hit 9th place easy after that.

TL;DR: Play NeoGAF Tourney, git gud.

I'm actually kinda surprised at how well I can hang with GAF. I mean sure there are some folks that are absolute monsters for how early it all is, but I think consistently holding 1st - 4th place for multiple laps and closing out quite a few races in the top 4 is weird given how good everyone else can be in the GAF groups. :lol

Strider

Just the Gold Glider left!

zlCfzSAIhg0Zhf_aQ2

..just 7700 coins to go...

Nice! What are the requirements for the gold parts?

K' Dash

i added my network id to spreadsheet but for people who dont look / its much appreciated if you could add me to friends would be great having some gaffers on there just got console today

Ashley278

Just a heads up, you can go race for a while in the GAF tournament, then go to the home menu in you WiiU, tap on friends, you should be able to see the "Recently played with" since you've been playing the GAF tournament, 99% should be Gaffers, you can add all the people you want, it's easier than registering names from the spreadsheet.

Is it me or are red shells a bit weird in this game? Sometimes I'll have a red shell indicator beeping like it's coming to me, but then it goes away. That happens SO often. And once, I was in first, my friend was in second right behind me, and third place was a little bit further back. Third place shot a red shell which bypassed my friend and went right to me. We even watched the replay and it just went right around my friend and came to me, lol.

AdanVC

I am sure everyone is waiting for Wednesday to see the sales for MK8 so here is what Amazon.jp is showing right now

Mario Kart 8 - #2
Wii U PRO controller(Black) - #12
Wii U PRO controller(White) - #22
Wii Wheel - #34
Wii U basic - #36

Woah, nice! But what game is at #1 then? :O

PGP, Jet Bike (gotta get that inner drift and I don't like the looks of the other bikes that have ID), Roller/Azure Roller, and Cloud Glider.

I heard hype about cyber slicks, got them, and went back to my rollers. Spec is pretty well rounded (has good speed, accel, and handling which helps to hug the curves. Rosalina with this spec has .25 more accel, but fuck that! #Order of the PGP).

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Vehicle_parts

Are bikes really that much better than karts at higher levels? All i keep seeing is inner drift bikes are better than karts all over the net. Truth? Any hope for a kart only guy like me?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Did the router DMZ thing, hope it'll lead to less com.errors when I play tonight

Body - At least one star on every Grand Prix of every engine class
Wheels - Beat all the staff ghosts
Glider - Collect 10,000 Coins

Including mirror mode?

Robin64

The gold glider for 10,000 coins seems a bit harsh. Are we sure there's not an alternate unlock method with VR? This was the case in Kart 7, after all.

Koren

Is it me or are red shells a bit weird in this game? Sometimes I'll have a red shell indicator beeping like it's coming to me, but then it goes away. That happens SO often. And once, I was in first, my friend was in second right behind me, and third place was a little bit further back. Third place shot a red shell which bypassed my friend and went right to me. We even watched the replay and it just went right around my friend and came to me, lol.
Red shells are sometimes quite slow, they can chase you for quite a long time (and hit an obstacle).

And they choose target sometimes quite strangely. Twice on MK7, I've launched a red shell that decided to target... my own kart. Not sure how it happened (I probably wasn't really the target, but I was probably on the line from the shell to the target). When the game has some trouble to decide which kart is the one before you, it can make surprising choices.

Kalaidos

Neo Member
That fierce battle between the two Jet Bike Ludwigs for the 5th place. Of 6.

Anyways, I'm gone for now. Some great races, GAF. Until next time : )

PaNaMa

Banned
Most expensive videogame in Canada right now, best i can tell. Retailing for $65 at Walmart, Best Buy etc.

Was gonna get it lunch time for my GF's birthday, decided against it and walked out on account of price. Was hoping to find it for normal price somewhere else. But it appears everyone's in cahoots. Any Canadians buy it digital download? Is it $65 on the store as well?

K' Dash

Are bikes really that much better than karts at higher levels? All i keep seeing is inner drift bikes are better than karts all over the net. Truth? Any hope for a kart only guy like me?

I was playing yesterday with the default Kart with some of the most competent Gaffers and did very good :)

rawktapus

Someone needs to coordinate an all horse chariot 12 player race of Mario Kart Ben Hur. Even just 4 people crashing into each other in the horse kart is super hilarious.

Golden Glider is a lot easier if you have 4 player races. It's also the only one I'll probably be able to use if its just like the standard glider.

B00TE

I really, really should hit up time trial and finish grand prix stuff but... dat online. Still so very hooked. Trying to get my VR up!

I think I've officially found my favorite set up in the game:

Sport Bike + Off Roader wheels + MKTV Parafoil Glider. Rosalina abusing a 4.25 speed rating with 3.25 acceleration (the best I've seen with her thus far), and modestly balanced weight AND handling?

And the same setup works well with Toad?

And it looks supremely bitchin'?

GGs

I'm gonna try this out. I'm a firm believer of Mr. Scooty but I want to use the Sports Bike more

boiled goose

good with gravy
First mario kart I buy since 64. I dont even have a wiiu but got it for my brothers wiiu. The game is fun. It feels like actually racing unlike the complete chaos that was mk wii.

This game is a system seller.

Too bad they completely botched battle. They need to do a major dlc addition sometime in a year or so and the game will keep on giving.

I was playing yesterday with the default Kart with some of the most competent Gaffers and did very good :)

Well that's good news! I just need to figure out how to get my top speed up in a kart while still making sure it's got good acceleration and handling. I guess i just need to keep experimenting.

NYCrooner

Good God this game is so much fun. My wife and I have been going non-stop with this bad boy. Between this, Nintendoland, NSMBU and 3D World, Wii U has been such a great console for couples gaming.

Top Bottom