• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Addi

Gotta go, but A-dog will be back to crush your dreams!

blrhPv4l.jpg

Robin64

Why can you only download 16 ghosts? At least let me have one for each track!

"Why can you only..." is a common phrase with me and this game, sadly.

Urgh. Really wanted this to be my personal best Mario Kart, too!

It probably still is, despite the missing things.

That shortcut in rainbow road is so cheesy. I'm surprised nintendo didn't prevent that.
I haven't tried time trials yet but I'd bet the staff ghost do it too. The first time I saw the shortcut in MK7 RR was in the time trial. Totally blew my mind O_O
You mean the one where you drop from one path to the other? If so, that one was intentional, the staff ghost does it.
Yep, just what I thought. There are probably legitimate glitches in some of the tracks that will get found but most of the shortcuts are intentional.

Spades

It's going to be a looooooong day at work :{

I feel you. Luckily I get off in 2 hours. I've got SO many games to play at the moment but every time I try to sit down and play Watch Dogs or FFXIV or something else, I keep thinking "damn, I could be playing Mario Kart 8". It's a drug.

Dragoshi1

15 years of playing Mario Kart pays off with this game.

I have not lost ANY race, on any cup, and 5 online races. Sure, I get knocked pretty hard down to, say, 6-8th place due to the Red shell/lightning bolt/blue shell combo, but I always bounce back to first.

Gonna do some more online races later, gotta build those numbers.

And my main set-up is Rosalina with that purple futuristic looking bike, cyber slick tires, and Bowser Kite.

I feel you. Luckily I get off in 2 hours. I've got SO many games to play at the moment but every time I try to sit down and play Watch Dogs or FFXIV or something else, I keep thinking "damn, I could be playing Mario Kart 8". It's a drug.
I thought I was going to have at least 3 days with WD before MK8 came out but I bought it using that India Store/Origin sale so as payback EA left it locked until the 30th LOL

I doubt I'll have time to touch it now until the fall at the earliest :/

Is there any way to see how many coins I have collected total?
I've spent like 10 minutes last night trying to figure out if those stats are hidden somewhere. There don't seem to be any options at all expect the controller option you get when you pause.

I hope Nintendo is planning a patch later to add this stuff to the game. It feels kind of rushed in some ways but man, it's crazy how good it still is even in its current form.
Thanks! How many coins do I need to unlock all the vehicle parts
other than insane the gold ones?
My final unlock was at 2,800 coins iirc.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I have not lost ANY race, on any cup, and 5 online races. Sure, I get knocked pretty hard down to, say, 6-8th place due to the Red shell/lightning bolt/blue shell combo, but I always bounce back to first.

And my main set-up is Rosalina with that purple futuristic looking bike, cyber slick tires, and Bowser Kite.
Yeahhhh, random onlines are pretty easy...

masud

Banned

Lol join us in the gaf tourney...

Maybe it's because I didn't play a lot of Mario Kart Wii, but I cannot get used to the inside drifting mechanic of the sport bikes. I'm so used to using a kart from previous MK games where it drifts to the outside that when I use a bike, I just keep drifting off the road or into walls, lol.

B00TE

Maybe it's because I didn't play a lot of Mario Kart Wii, but I cannot get used to the inside drifting mechanic of the sport bikes. I'm so used to using a kart from previous MK games where it drifts to the outside that when I use a bike, I just keep drifting off the road or into walls, lol.

They take some getting used too, but in MK Wii I feel like they could turn much sharper. Took me awhile to adjust from that.

Not sure I could ever go back to karts, being able to take corners super sharp is nice and can let you escape the mob a bit easier imo.

Deku Tree

I've spent like 10 minutes last night trying to figure out if those stats are hidden somewhere. There don't seem to be any options at all expect the controller option you get when you pause.

I hope Nintendo is planning a patch later to add this stuff to the game. It feels kind of rushed in some ways but man, it's crazy how good it still is even in its current form.

My final unlock was at 2,800 coins iirc.

Wow! I still only have about 700 coins so far... Once I unlock all the characters then the rest of the parts can be unlocked by collecting coins anywhere including online right? Thanks!

Hasney

Global online seemed pretty easy. I didn't finish out of the top 4 in 40 races.

Join the GAF room if you want some real competition. Find it hard to even get top 5 half the time!

Been playing this over the weekend. I have to say, I think this is the most beautiful-looking Mario game so far, even more than 3D World.

I hope they release some more classic tracks as DLC or something, just to see how they would look now.

Cappa

Banned
is anyone or has anyone used the Wii Wheel for this game? Is it worth it?

Also, can I use American peripherals for an EU Wii U or are those region locked as well?

Kjellson

I'm thinking of jumping in the NeoGAF group. Is it just write in the code and you're good to go? I never play online usually so I'm not sure how it works.

Why can you only download 16 ghosts? At least let me have one for each track!
How big is the save file anyway? Do Wii U games have some sort of limit in this regard. That would the bottleneck here and I guess the 18 MKTV races do take up space (it does save the whole race, right?).

I guess given that people are "always online" (I'm not :( ) they thought you would download 4 ghosts for 4 courses you are playing then delete when you need room.

They take some getting used too, but in MK Wii I feel like they could turn much sharper. Took me awhile to adjust from that.

Not sure I could ever go back to karts, being able to take corners super sharp is nice and can let you escape the mob a bit easier imo.

Yeah, I can definitely see the advantages once I get used to it. I think I might just practice on time trials to get the hang of how the drifting feels without worrying about actually playing against other people/AI.

Top Bottom