• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

ibfEYRm2MIV9aq.gif

Lol I love the deliberate blink

beanman25

choked on 2nd looking backwards!

Nice racing with you all, but I need to run some errands.

Dilbert is my NNID, if you guys would like to add me!

EDIT: Seemed to be a constant in 2-4th place. Happy about that, hahaha.

Andrew.

Banned
Got all the way up to the Special Cup in 50cc. It's beautiful, but man the races end so quickly I never get time to soak in how well the environments look. Mount Wario is my favorite so far though. Please tell me there are other tracks that are just one long straight course divided into checkpoints like that.

Question about unlocking the other racers: I hear it's random after scoring golds on each cup? So if I play one cup over and over again on 50cc will I unlock all the characters eventually?

Did the person in 1st finish already or has someone discovered how to trick it already?

I believe it auto-targets the person who was in 1st at the time it was released so if you're in 1st then get passed after someone sends it you still get hit. Also if the person in 1st has already finished the race then it goes after 2nd place or whoever is the highest running person that still hasn't finished.

Atkison04

I'm sure it has already been asked many times, but what is the opinion of the pro cotroller for mario kart? I don't like the tablet and we have been using the wii mote without nunchuck using the d-pad. I can't hold it right to be able to drift though. Thoughts?

I believe it auto-targets the person who was in 1st at the time it was released so if you're in 1st then get passed after someone sends it you still get hit. Also if the person in 1st has already finished the race then it goes after 2nd place or whoever is the highest running person that still hasn't finished.
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't lock on right away but I could never figure out when it does. In MK7 you could drive into a pit to make it go to the next person in line and then get a recovery boost on top of avoiding the stun. It looks like Nintendo took care of that with the new Lakitu though.

Mr. Sam

I'm sure it has already been asked many times, but what is the opinion of the pro cotroller for mario kart? I don't like the tablet and we have been using the wii mote without nunchuck using the d-pad. I can't hold it right to be able to drift though. Thoughts?

If you're not using motion controls, why not attach the nunchuck?

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't lock on right away but I could never figure out when it does. In MK7 you could drive into a pit to make it go to the next person in line and then get a recovery boost on top of avoiding the stun. It looks like Nintendo took care of that with the new Lakitu though.

I'm just going by what I have seen others say on how it's supposed to work now. If I got any of it wrong I'm sure there will be plenty of people to correct it.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I have a $20 eShop card I'd trade if anyone was looking to offload an NSMBU download code.

Year of Luigi ain't never gonna stop

Atkison04

If you're not using motion controls, why not attach the nunchuck?

I don't have the nunchuck for it. The kids took that over for the wii. Is the nunchuck better than just the wii mote. Just asking because we really love the game, enough so that we (I) want the best controller option possible. Amazon has the pro for $39.99 right now.

Playing online, how come sometimes I'll hit someone with a green / red shell and they won't stop moving forward? In fact, they spin out and are still ahead of me afterwards.

Is that a internet hiccup or something?

It would seem to be, but I hit someone twice at two different times on the track and it was the same situation both times. Rosalina on a bike, I believe.

Irminsul

Anyone else getting rather frequent disconnects? It wasn't a problem until now and my internet connection is fine for everything else...

So which character does everyone miss the most from older games? Shocked with all the similar versions of the same character we didn't get Boo. :(

Llyranor

Okay, now that people have been playing the game a bit more, I'll re-ask these questions, since I only had partial responses before and people weren't sure.

Can I (with a local player sharing the same console) play with 2 overseas online friends (sharing one console) in the same match with other online randoms? Can I do that also with just AI (thus, 4 friends + AI), or a mixture of online randoms + AI?

Is tournament mode essentially similar to Grand Prix? Can I do the exact above scenario in tournament mode?

In which circumstances does the game actually allow me to voicechat with my friends? (I'm guessing it works through the touchpad)

kunonabi

I don't have the nunchuck for it. The kids took that over for the wii. Is the nunchuck better than just the wii mote. Just asking because we really love the game, enough so that we (I) want the best controller option possible. Amazon has the pro for $39.99 right now.

Nunchuk and wiimote is easily the best option if you ask me since the gamepad doesn't do anything meaningful in MK. In every other instance the Pro controller is just wholly unnecessary with the gamepad around.

Fixed1979

Did you have a question? I have played with both and prefer the Pro. I've never looked at the Gamepad screen during a race.

Thanks, I guess that's as good of a recommendation as I need! I'll grab one on the way home today.

EDIT: Shit, didn't even notice that I didn't ask a question...or that you asked if I had a question...switching back and forth between GAF and work...I was wondering if it was worth it...which you kindly answered.

Playing online, how come sometimes I'll hit someone with a green / red shell and they won't stop moving forward? In fact, they spin out and are still ahead of me afterwards.

Is that a internet hiccup or something?

It would seem to be, but I hit someone twice at two different times on the track and it was the same situation both times. Rosalina on a bike, I believe.
Something with the lag compensation, I had one game earlier where I chucked a green shell and I saw it miss but the other player got stunned and my shell exploded.

Second, I'll call it a night there! Good games!
And sorry to the person playing as Toadette who I kept aiming to hit.. that cute little character made me try and hit you more;)

Top Bottom