• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Kade

MARIO KART 8 SELLS 1.2 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE OVER FIRST WEEKEND

giphy.gif

But Polygon said it was going to sell that much throughout its lifetime... Unless the world is ending today and they somehow knew about it then technically they'd be right.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just gotta say, this game is incredible. I won PS4, Bone, and WiiU and basically every major release on those systems and in terms of the Fun Factor Scale MK8 just rips everything else to shreds. I love how they even though to allow for 2P local to go online. FIFA, which has about a billion online modes (mostly unnecessary), doesn't even let you do this. I wouldn't mind if there were just a little more to the online (even Goldeneye-style titles after each match or something, or persistent session stats) but I'm just completely blown away. Have barely been playing consoles for months and this dominated my weekend gaming.

kunonabi

redid my kart. Looking a lot better although it will take some getting used to the slightly poorer handling. Sticking with 3 bars for acceleration getting anything higher just kills my top speed. Is it even possible to win with a top speed of 2? I just don't see a max acceleration stat being worth it.

madmook

Quick, dumb question: is there no camera view adjustment? In other MK's I preferred a pulled back view. I pushed all buttons on the controller and nothing changes camera view. :(

web01

Nintendo needs to fix the communications errors they are complete BS.
I know its not me because I put in 40+ hours of time into the Mario Kart Wii before the shutdown with no problems and because I find if you search straight away after an error you often get matched back up again with a couple people from the previous game indicating they also got an error.

Also another thing if you have 10/10 coins you should never be given one from an item block, would encourage more people to collect coins and be better balanced.

Omnicent

People have been testing it in time trails. Like mario kart 7, Mario kart 8 suffers from acceleration tiers. Basically 2.00-2.75 is still just 2.00 until it reaches 3.00 where an acceleration boost kicks in. Same applies for 3.00-3.75 and 4.00-4.75 meaning there's a lot of wasted acceleration being used. =/

1.00-2.00 Still works like normal tho.

Easy to test yourselves in time trials.

This is good to know. Means my PGP spec is right at 4 Acceleration (can't drop it anywhere else unless I want to go down to 3 though, bummer)

Andamo

Neo Member
I can't get online play to work for me. I keep getting error codes. I've had issues like this ever since getting the Wii U.

I could play Mario Kart Wii online on the Wii U with no issues whatsoever, but whenever I try to do anything Internet related with the Wii U part of the system, it doesn't work right.

I've got this error code, 118-0502, which I receive when trying to connect to other players. I've already tried everything on Nintendo's troubleshooting page except for
Place the Wii U into your router's DMZ (demilitarized zone)*.
because I do not know the log in information for my router because it was set up a decade ago.

I don't want to have to reset the router to factory settings because it will mess up everything else in the house and I can't fix all of it.

Why can I not play online on Wii U when I could using the Wii Menu on the Wii U?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not interested in calling Nintendo for help because the last time I did, their troubleshooting assistance amounted to reading the help information verbatim off of the webpage I was already on.

BraXzy

When you finish a race, what is the star at the top for? It doesn't highlight unless you press + and then it goes to 1/6.. why is there something you have to manually unlock? And what does ot do?

Is this definitely to save replays guys?

Also, how do people record small custom clips? Capture cards? I don't see any option other than a predetermined highlight reel.

Anyone?

Vylash

I can't get online play to work for me. I keep getting error codes. I've had issues like this ever since getting the Wii U.

I could play Mario Kart Wii online on the Wii U with no issues whatsoever, but whenever I try to do anything Internet related with the Wii U part of the system, it doesn't work right.

I've got this error code, 118-0502, which I receive when trying to connect to other players. I've already tried everything on Nintendo's troubleshooting page except for

because I do not know the log in information for my router because it was set up a decade ago.

I don't want to have to reset the router to factory settings because it will mess up everything else in the house and I can't fix all of it.

Why can I not play online on Wii U when I could using the Wii Menu on the Wii U?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not interested in calling Nintendo for help because the last time I did, their troubleshooting assistance amounted to reading the help information verbatim off of the webpage I was already on.

I had this exact same issue and doing the DMZ fixed worked for me, sadly that seems to be your only option

Grizzo

Why do they even let us have a "let's wait for more players!" option if the game is forcing us to choose a circuit after 20 seconds? That's so dumb.

So what you're saying about this acceleration stuff is that my decision to choose the gliders that give that small bit of acceleration over weight are often worthless (It appears that most of my setups are just edging over 2 with them as opposed to sitting slap bang on 2) but the alternative extra weight actually has some value no matter how small?
Got to spend some time in the garage, it's tweaking time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Coin item rates from the item boxes need to be dropped, seriously.

Went an entire race getting ONLY coin items.

Had a race where all but two were coins. Never had a problem with them until that. Still came in second, but something to take out #1 would have been nice.

Top Bottom