• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Two blue turtles and still somehow pulled 1st place out my ass. Not sure whether to thank or scorn the MK gods....

Recall

I don't have a pro controller so I'm just on gamepad. I literally have the stand right next to me, and I lay it in to charge a little after each race.

the battery life struggle is real.

Remove the AC lead from the stand and plug it straight into the top of the controller. Wired might not be perfect but it is better than worrying about battery life, it works well for I :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
OK. I don't know how to do this stuff. I've just been following instructions online. I don't know what any of it means.

1. I have manually assigned an IP Address to my Wii U. I manually entered the DNS thing that my computer indicated that I use.

2. I was able to access my router settings, where I entered my Wii U's IP Address into the DMZ section. I then saved the settings.

3. I was not able to play online.

4. I "power cycled my home network."

5. I was able to play two matches online before being kicked off with a new error message. Nintendo's website suggested it might be a DNS issue.

6. I looked up the DNS information on my computer again, and it had changed.

7. I updated the DNS information on my Wii U and the connection test was successful.

8. I am still unable to play online, but now I'm getting error codes that offer simple suggestions that I've already done.

What am I doing wrong? Why did my DNS numbers change? Nintendo implied I should manually enter my DNS but if it's going to change randomly then I can't do that.

Why is this so complicated? Why can't I select my SSID, enter my WEP passcode, and be done with it?

The IP you're entering is on your local network correct? If your router is setup to dynamically change IPs on devices, you'll need to manually assign a static IP to your WiiU so that it doesn't change.

llamarawk

this is the definitive wii u title. It's a shame it took so long to finally get here though i don't mean to derail the thread. It's everything I wanted really. Love how different all the retro tracks are with the gliding and underwater sections and what not.

Berordn

I want more new tracks, I really like the new ones compared to most of the retro tracks.

Chances are they'll adhere to their usual philosophy of saving new ideas for the next entry in the series, like they do with just about everything.

If they do add new tracks I'd expect them to be previous game's retro selections as to not step on any toes down the line for new stuff.

I tried ordering this at Walmart a few days ago to get the free Mario Wheel since I couldn't grab the Limited Edition in NYC.

This is what came up.

tumblr_n6dgkg8JKR1tt06g9o1_1280.png

Guess I'm in for a wild kart racing game.

Dr Prob

Banned
Good games everyone. One quick question: Can you still use a shroom to evade the blue shell, or is it strictly the horn now?

And sorry to the person playing as Toadette who I kept aiming to hit.. that cute little character made me try and hit you more;)

You can stuff your sorries in a sack, mister!

rawktapus

Maybe one of you more skilled karters can help me with this: I have never been able to reach that shortcut on the upper level of the Dry Bones desert course. Am I just using the wrong glider combo? Or should I be doing something else?

The game is fun as hell, but I don't know why in this game they decided to restrict only one item per time, specially having a single coin as an item, this makes even more difficult to maintain the first place.

Koren

If they do add new tracks I'd expect them to be previous game's retro selections as to not step on any toes down the line for new stuff.
For once, I don't mind.

Usually, retro tracks are good when the original one was. The retro track in 8 have been usually greatly improved, they often feel like whole new courses.

My only (small) disappointment is royal raceway. The U-turns are wider, and it's far easier to stay on track.

Good games everyone. One quick question: Can you still use a shroom to evade the blue shell, or is it strictly the horn now?
Would like to know this, too. Haven't managed to escape one yet (the fact that they're less common doesn't help).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My room is awkwardly setup so the neatest plug outlet doesn't reach far enough to comfortably play from. Not a huge deal to me though.

Maybe one of you more skilled karters can help me with this: I have never been able to reach that shortcut on the upper level of the Dry Bones desert course. Am I just using the wrong glider combo? Or should I be doing something else?

You need to bounce off that sand that comes out periodically.

Koren

The game is fun as hell, but I don't know why in this game they decided to restrict only one item per time, specially having a single coin as an item, this makes even more difficult to maintain the first place.
I think you have your answer. Defending in previous games was far too easy with dual items and no coin.

With the horn that allow for even better defense (blue shell), defending would even have been easier.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you've gotta bounce off of the sand geyser you see down below to get up to it.

EDIT: dun got red shelled

plug the charging cable directly into it? Its a pretty long cable

I usually do that. I have it plugged in right beside me so I can see the map during races right now. I play this game for such long periods of time that I mainly need to use the pro controller so it'll take a little longer before my thumb starts hurting lol.

akaoni

Banned
The gitGUD MLG guide

***DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU LIKE TO HAVE FUN***

Pick a top tier-
+Bowser
+Mii *if they're set to tallest and roundest
+Morton
+Wario

Pick a strong setup-
+Circuit Special for kart / Yoshi for bike
+Button wheels
+Cloud glider

Note; There are various pieces of equipment that look different and have the same stats and should corner the same, so use whatever you prefer.

Tips-
- Racing lines
Consider the majority of the track to be lava and corner as tightly as possible while acquiring at least a blue boost if you can. Try to gather 10 coins when the coins are in the racing line. Additional coins provide tiny extra boosts I think.

- Item efficiency
There's no reason to use them at anytime before the next item boxes unless you're in a tight spot and absolutely need to or think it's a good risk to take. Try to defend yourself as often as possible with items from people behind or save it.

Possible questions-
Q: I'm not doing any better?
A: Go into time trial and practice beating the ghosts. You should be able to beat them all by several seconds comfortably as you get better.

Q: Why is this good?
A: It's a good balance between speed and acceleration and so is reliable to produce a good place finish quite often. Acceleration with these 2 builds hit the sweet spot of 3 and 4 respectively ensuring you get full benefits.

Q: But my slicks are faster!?
A: Slicks are so fast to the point where you can widen the gap too easily and trigger the blue shell easier to the point where you might eat 2 in one race. Get hit at a bad spot and the acceleration will cost you the race. This might not be a problem if the entire room is very good though.

Q: I played as good as I could and didn't win once in 10 races while some bad setup won!
A: Mario Kart™

Q: But I've found a setup that works better than yours?
A: These are just my personal findings. Have fun!

I hope this is helpful.

Insaniac

Okay couple questions guys:

Do you find the weaker itemization to be TOO beneficial for first place for the most part in that places 2-12 generally tend to be shelling each other all over the place while whoever can stay in first for the most part can break away from the pack with a huge lead?

Does the itemization "adjust" itself when you play in a game with 4, 5 or 6 people? IE 6th place will tend to get stronger "12th" place items etc?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Without bouncing off, I've been able to land on the upper level about 10% of the time. It's really a matter of attack angle on the last jump point, followed by a steady and up-nose gliding.

Top Bottom