• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

hwy_61

Banned
Alright, so I'm a bit confused about the club nintendo deal, and because that one guy a couple pages back fucked up and registered the game early, it kinda freaked me out. So, here's my question:

Since the game unlocks 12am EST on 5-30, that means I can theoretically buy and download the game on 5-29 at 11PM CST, right? Ok, so if I buy the game at 11PM CST, will I ruin the club nintendo promo? Should I play it safe and buy it the morning of 5-30?

So I added myself to the spreadsheet. How does it work? Will you guys add me to your friendlist on the WiiU or should I add people to mine?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've noticed big question mark blocks in the strangest places, like on Grumble Volcano and that new cloud track with the SMG music, I think.

Hm, weird.

The cloud one is a neat reference since you're driving on a vine that's coming out of it.

Mwo2cDI.jpg

The game is great and really going to be fun for a long time.

I know they are very bad at releasing titles but they do it right.

Yeah i know i am stating the obvious.

Incredible game !!!!

Holy shit been playing like 3 hours 150CC and the rubberbanding is atrocious.
The CPU always uses waluigi, peach and larry, and the majority of time tries to be infront of you.
The first race is always easy, 1st without a problem yadda yadda, but the CPU tries to put this 3 guys or any of the babies just behind you just as you touch the finish line, what that means is that the next 3 races those 3 guys are going to kill everything on the road to go after you, with magic mushrooms up their ass even with them in 2nd and 3rd places. But oh, dont fall behind becuase you inmediately will be in the middle of the pack without chance of victory being massacred by the rest of the CPUs, maybe you get a good object behind the pack you say? Not a chance, enjoy your shitty bananas and green shells going on 5th-7th place. I still havent seen (used by me I mean, ive seen the cpu using plenty of this) the star, bullet bill, lucky 8 or even golden mushroom.

And the coin is the worst piece of worthless shitty item it has ever graced mario kart. If you are first place and you get a coin you are royally fucked. This game doesnt let you have 2 objects at the same time, so every box in the circuit is valuable, you miss one, you missuse an object... you are fucked in 150CC. You will pray that the box gives you a banana peel (or any other shell) when going first place because defense in Mario Kart 8 is of major importance. If you get the trumpet, you are a lucky man.
What the CPU does is have always a character that will get a red shell when you pass every group of boxes (and that red shell will usually go after you), so you need something to defend yourself ALWAYS when in first place.
Yep, red shells are you worst enemy here, blues are not so bad now with the trumpet object and the lightning fucks everyone, but if you are hit with a red shell during the last lap, even at the beggining of that lap, you can say goodbye to the first place and probably the gold trophy.

Reminds me of the shitty F-Zero GX CPU, although in that one you could at least kill the people directly behind you in points so you could win easily.
I dont remember Mario Kart 7's rubberbanding being that bad.

daydream

Banned
I screwed us both over at the end there, Djawed. :p

So...no chat during the race?

My groups solution...fire up the xb1 and use kinect to chat while racing :)

I dunno, I'm confused. Maybe I misunderstood how it's supposed to work.

Also, the matchmaking is so snappy, I barely have time to make one post!

daydream

Banned
Paraphrasing what someone said earlier, 9 hours is a good first session, but it's time to get some sleep. Looking forward to playing with more and more peeps over the next few weeks!

Oh, feel free to add me, also - NNID: windjamming

AdanVC

Navigating through the Japanese MK8 community on Miiverse and is craaaaaaazy right now. Tons of people posting videos and impressions literally 2 or 3 per second. I remember when SM3DW and DK: Tropical Freeze were released there, their communities were not as busy and saturated as they are right now with MK8. The hype is reaaal!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That snowy mountain track... Hoooooooooly shit. Holy shit, Nintendo. Please never stop making HD games.

Navigating through the Japanese MK8 community on Miiverse and is craaaaaaazy right now. Tons of people posting videos and impressions literally 2 or 3 per second. I remember when SM3DW and DK: Tropical Freeze were released there, their communities were not as busy and saturated as they are right now with MK8. The hype is reaaal!

I remember most of the big WiiU releases being pretty damn busy on Miiverse tbh.
Like a post every second or so for a few months.
DK's community has definitely slowed down though, poor DKC:TF.

sgjackson

people are starting to upload world record ghosts onto youtube. probably dated by this point (one guy pulled it off with a wheel lmao) but it is useful for finding solid routes coming in:

not naming tracks for spoiler reasons
WR1
WR2
WR3

Deap92x

Banned
The only is great, pretty much exactly like the Wii version. Have any of you guys found some people with Rosalina's who are damn good? mostly germans

beanman25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1rPEdF1_U / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #1 - Shell Cup - Toad's Turnpike - Koopa Troopa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihv3dM9_CEk / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #2 - Lightning Cup - Tick Tock Clock - Koopa Troopa

I'm planning on recording most online races I do ever, unless I have a bunch of friends over and it doesn't cross my mind. So hopefully at some point, I can post race #5000 or something crazy here!

Clefargle

The only is great, pretty much exactly like the Wii version. Have any of you guys found some people with Rosalina's who are damn good? mostly germans

Yeah, me. Although I may be switching to PGP after playing the demo. So fast!

On a slightly angrier note, I just found out about the dumbass Wii U friend-list limit of 100...WTF ninty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV1rPEdF1_U / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #1 - Shell Cup - Toad's Turnpike - Koopa Troopa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihv3dM9_CEk / Mario Kart 8 Gameplay - Online Race #2 - Lightning Cup - Tick Tock Clock - Koopa Troopa

I'm planning on recording most online races I do ever, unless I have a bunch of friends over and it doesn't cross my mind. So hopefully at some point, I can post race #5000 or something crazy here!

have you gotten some WRs you are a really good racer, thanks for share all these weeks man

Played my first online race. I was the only American in a room full of Japanese players. I represented and took home the silver! USA! USA! GOOD ENOUGH! GOOD ENOUGH!

But yeah the game is a lot of fun and very easy on the eyes. :)

NateDrake

I'm curious to see if I can beat you in an online race.

Top Bottom