• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

mike4001_

Hi, just a simple question:

I intend to play Mario Kart mostly with friends in the various modes.

Will I also unlock all courses & charakters & karts .. this way ?

Or is there anything where I have to playe single player.

Robin64

Anyone else going to stick to the traditional route of doing each class in order? It's nice that doing just 150 will get the trophies for 100 and 50 too, but the change would mess with my mojo too much.

Anyone else going to stick to the traditional route of doing each class in order? It's nice that doing just 150 will get the trophies for 100 and 50 too, but the change would mess with my mojo too much.

I'm leaning towards this, I want to get good at finding the right lines and keeping them so I want to start slow

when I go online I want to be able to keep up with beastly drivers so maybe a slow start to learning is better 50cc is slow but a least the road is pretty

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Phoned my local indie to see if he'll break street date but no joy. Will have to get it tomorrow. :(

Roo

I'll probably start with 100cc and upwards
50cc is just... I can't.

Copenap

Did one 50cc against only npc and it was way too easy. Going to give 100 a try but might just go to 150.

sgjackson

probably starting at 50cc so i can get the tracks down better and get more coins, then jump into time trials to learn proper routes before going online

Spinluck

Holy shit been playing like 3 hours 150CC and the rubberbanding is atrocious.
The CPU always uses waluigi, peach and larry, and the majority of time tries to be infront of you.
The first race is always easy, 1st without a problem yadda yadda, but the CPU tries to put this 3 guys or any of the babies just behind you just as you touch the finish line, what that means is that the next 3 races those 3 guys are going to kill everything on the road to go after you, with magic mushrooms up their ass even with them in 2nd and 3rd places. But oh, dont fall behind becuase you inmediately will be in the middle of the pack without chance of victory being massacred by the rest of the CPUs, maybe you get a good object behind the pack you say? Not a chance, enjoy your shitty bananas and green shells going on 5th-7th place. I still havent seen (used by me I mean, ive seen the cpu using plenty of this) the star, bullet bill, lucky 8 or even golden mushroom.

And the coin is the worst piece of worthless shitty item it has ever graced mario kart. If you are first place and you get a coin you are royally fucked. This game doesnt let you have 2 objects at the same time, so every box in the circuit is valuable, you miss one, you missuse an object... you are fucked in 150CC. You will pray that the box gives you a banana peel (or any other shell) when going first place because defense in Mario Kart 8 is of major importance. If you get the trumpet, you are a lucky man.
What the CPU does is have always a character that will get a red shell when you pass every group of boxes (and that red shell will usually go after you), so you need something to defend yourself ALWAYS when in first place.
Yep, red shells are you worst enemy here, blues are not so bad now with the trumpet object and the lightning fucks everyone, but if you are hit with a red shell during the last lap, even at the beggining of that lap, you can say goodbye to the first place and probably the gold trophy.

Reminds me of the shitty F-Zero GX CPU, although in that one you could at least kill the people directly behind you in points so you could win easily.
I dont remember Mario Kart 7's rubberbanding being that bad.

Yikes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Interesting that bigger guys like Tesco seem to have had the nod for breaking the date significantly and smaller places haven't.

So you can walk into Tesco's and buy Mario Kart 8 off the shelf today?

BM8

Neo Member
Don't know about you guys, but im looking forward to driving that Benz with Metal Mario in Electrodome.

Can't wait for you guys to join the action. Seems like a lot of places (although not in the UK that I can tell) have broken the street date if the number of online players showing up over the last week is anything to go by. Especially folks in France. Naughty Frenchies!

I preordered this a couple of weeks ago from Nintendo. The £50 bundle, I notice they've taken the cash today however my account details are showing a dispatch date of the 30th.

Do Nintendo not send games until the release date? Kinda pissed if that's the case as I used my works address to are sure it could be signed for.

CoolS

The CPU always uses waluigi, peach and larry, and the majority of time tries to be infront of you.
The first race is always easy, 1st without a problem yadda yadda, but the CPU tries to put this 3 guys or any of the babies just behind you just as you touch the finish line, what that means is that the next 3 races those 3 guys are going to kill everything on the road to go after you, with magic mushrooms up their ass even with them in 2nd and 3rd places. But oh, dont fall behind becuase you inmediately will be in the middle of the pack without chance of victory being massacred by the rest of the CPUs, maybe you get a good object behind the pack you say? Not a chance, enjoy your shitty bananas and green shells going on 5th-7th place. I still havent seen (used by me I mean, ive seen the cpu using plenty of this) the star, bullet bill, lucky 8 or even golden mushroom.

And the coin is the worst piece of worthless shitty item it has ever graced mario kart. If you are first place and you get a coin you are royally fucked. This game doesnt let you have 2 objects at the same time, so every box in the circuit is valuable, you miss one, you missuse an object... you are fucked in 150CC. You will pray that the box gives you a banana peel (or any other shell) when going first place because defense in Mario Kart 8 is of major importance. If you get the trumpet, you are a lucky man.
What the CPU does is have always a character that will get a red shell when you pass every group of boxes (and that red shell will usually go after you), so you need something to defend yourself ALWAYS when in first place.
Yep, red shells are you worst enemy here, blues are not so bad now with the trumpet object and the lightning fucks everyone, but if you are hit with a red shell during the last lap, even at the beggining of that lap, you can say goodbye to the first place and probably the gold trophy.

Reminds me of the shitty F-Zero GX CPU, although in that one you could at least kill the people directly behind you in points so you could win easily.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Just did two Grand Prix in 150CC, and while sometimes you get hit two or three times in a row by racers passing you (which can alway happen in any Mario Kart), most of the times staying in firt place is quite managable. At least that is the impression I have so far. Overall I feel the game and items are so mich better balanced this time around.

Robin64

I preordered this a couple of weeks ago from Nintendo. The £50 bundle, I notice they've taken the cash today however my account details are showing a dispatch date of the 30th.

Do Nintendo not send games until the release date? Kinda pissed if that's the case as I used my works address to are sure it could be signed for.

Got a dispatch notice for this from them at about 7am this morning.

OwlyKnees

Have to disagree with this. Your experience is at complete odds with mine.

I played about 8 hours yesterday and have so far 2-starred all the 150cc cups and played a ton of online. The GP is the fairest it's been in the entire series. I have consistently found that my rivals the first two races can dynamically change to new rivals for the last two, as opposed to the same old 2-3 racers who will stick with you throughout.

Likewise, the items are wonderfully balanced now. I regularly received red shells, mushrooms, and more while in first place. Drop down to 3rd and you're likely to see even greater rewards. Of course there is still the chance of receiving an unwanted item (the coin is not entirely useless), but that's Mario Kart. Your statement about 'ALWAYS' needing something to defend yourself with is untrue. There are large stretches when no homing item will be in play at all, not to mention that with the new courses red shells frequently destroy themselves against walls/cars/obstacles.

I pre ordered at the beginning of March. The £60 limited edition. They took my money at the beginning of the week but I have the same est. despatch date as you. There isn't a delivery cost either and I don't remember choosing a type of delivery, so I'm assuming that it's going to be sent today using DPD? Otherwise it's a 3 working day wait with RM, taking it to next week!

Urgh.

cyberheater

Depends wher you live I guess. I went into The city centre (Glasgow) yesterday and picked it up no problem.

Eh didn't see the tesco bit. But lots of shops are selling it early.

Yes. I told him that on the phone but he wouldn't budge.

I pre ordered at the beginning of March. The £60 limited edition. They took my money at the beginning of the week but I have the same est. despatch date as you. There isn't a delivery cost either and I don't remember choosing a type of delivery, so I'm assuming that it's going to be sent today using DPD? Otherwise it's a 3 working day wait with RM, taking it to next week!

Urgh.

If I see it today or tomorrow I'll just buy another copy and take the late one back and say it was bought in error. It would be daft on nintendos part if they manage to entice people to buy from them only to let them down at the first hurdle.

Foshy

Ugh. Online worked perfectly yesterday, but this morning I couldn't finish one single race.

Got 4 communication errors in a row when loading up a race at first, then when I finally managed to get into one I got an error on the third lap. Tried again a few times, nope.

Same thing on both Global and Regional. Did the JP launch overload the servers or something? I had zero problems yesterday :/

If I see it today or tomorrow I'll just buy another copy and take the late one back and say it was bought in error. It would be daft on nintendos part if they manage to entice people to buy from them only to let them down at the first hurdle.

I spoke to someone in customer services and she assured me that it will be despatched today for delivery tonight(?) or tomorrow, by DHL.

Anyone else having a Mario Kart party? I got around 8 people coming over mine with a few bags of wings and I've made my own beer. On all weekend!

Hasney

Interesting that bigger guys like Tesco seem to have had the nod for breaking the date significantly and smaller places haven't.

There's usually a street date breaker hotline. If a store calls with proof another store has broken it, all stores in the local radius get permission to start selling it too.
Does anyone know if it's still possible to dodge a blue shell with a well timed mushroom? I want to know what items to save in 1st.

Pretty sure I saw it on one of the videos, but I'd wait for someone to back me up on this.

f76pjzn.jpg

Doing Britain proud! (Heh Australia) =P

Griss

Ah, fuck this thread! I've gone all physical with the Wii U and was going to wait it out (June 5th is the earliest I can get it) but thanks to all the goddamn hype in this thread I'm almost certainly going to buy it off the e-shop at midnight, ruining everything.

Goddamn you gaf, you foil the best laid plans.

Just finished Infamous and FFXIV, too, so the timing is perfect.

denshuu

Man, I don't think I can play 50cc and 100cc anymore. I have about 600 hours in Mario Kart 7 and haven't even gotten half way through 50cc. All of the unlocks are random, so there's no incentive to play Slowmo Kart anymore.

Top Bottom