• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Exentryk

Ehh, maybe I'll get back on. I need a break right now--I've been playing for hours. But I haven't played you in a while, so I might join you for a few races later.

Cool. Yeah my timezone is completely opposite to yours (and everybody in the US >_>). I've been honing my skills playing against 1000 VR opponents in WWs lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
150cc Grand Prix is full of cheating CPUs. What can you do when you get hit consecutively by blue shell, red shell and green shell somewhere in the last part of the last lap ? There are some stars I simply cannot get in the 150cc Grand Prix... ughhhhhh !!!

Felensis

Banned
Currently I'm on finishing 150cc and Mirrored 150cc with 3-stars and man, do I have a hard time with it (just like the hard times I had with every MK ;)). After racing this much on 150cc I can sure tell that it's maybe 30% skill-dependent while the other 70% are mostly pure luck. Just to let anyone know who doesn't know how to get 3 stars: you have to finish each race in a cup with 1st place.

You can bet on ...

1. ...green shells bouncing around the course in free-roaming mode seems to magically hit me nearly every time I'll come across
  2. ...a red shell incoming when you're a second away from the finish line especially if you have no item for defense
  3. ...a blue shell is incoming shortly before or after round 3 starts or even a few meters away from finish line, so that you end up from 1st to 4th - 6th place
  4. ...you're mostly getting coins as items while being 1st place
  5. ...enemies just a few meters behind are mostly faster than you even if you have 10 coins, driving a heavy character and use drift turbos etc.
  6. ...if you get hit by an enemy that at least 2 or 3 drivers following him will hit you in a drive-by so that you end up from 1st to one of the last places

I know this is basically just Mario Kart as it was ever since, but why do they have to do it just so unfair in every installment (only speaking of 150cc)? Once I finished special cup nearly perfect as DK just to see Baby Mario passing by like a rocket (without a mushroom!) just a few meters before the finish line on Rainbow Road, round 3. 3 stars crushed, do it again x__x

I'm a pretty good MK player, knowing the kinks, turbos, driftings etc. therefore I'm usually way ahead of the rest of the field, but on 150cc it get's stopped by one or more of the methods described above, so skill may not my issue for sure. Opposing to the points mentioned above every 4th or 5th try of a 150cc cup I'll finish it like a breeze with every round way ahead of the rest of the drivers. Seems kind of random to me.

Just wanted to share this interested in how you're experiencing it, but rest assured, this is no rant or offense. I fucking love this gem and just can't stop to play! :)

Gattuso

that DK race earlier was terrible
ibnszJuEisdGh5.gif

ibyfQMWkRdLzUi.gif

Question reagarding online? Does honking online do anything at all? I usually honk away at the beggining of the race so my local player will get mad due to getting shitted by lakitu...

But to be honest I never saw someone honk online other than myself?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Currently I'm on finishing 150cc and Mirrored 150cc with 3-stars and man, do I have a hard time with it (just like the hard times I had with every MK ;)). After racing this much on 150cc I can sure tell that it's maybe 30% skill-dependent while the other 70% are mostly pure luck. Just to let anyone know who doesn't know how to get 3 stars: you have to finish each race in a cup with 1st place.

You can bet on ...

1. ...green shells bouncing around the course in free-roaming mode seems to magically hit me nearly every time I'll come across
  2. ...a red shell incoming when you're a second away from the finish line especially if you have no item for defense
  3. ...a blue shell is incoming shortly before or after round 3 starts or even a few meters away from finish line, so that you end up from 1st to 4th - 6th place
  4. ...you're mostly getting coins as items while being 1st place
  5. ...enemies just a few meters behind are mostly faster than you even if you have 10 coins, driving a heavy character and use drift turbos etc.
  6. ...if you get hit by an enemy that at least 2 or 3 drivers following him will hit you in a drive-by so that you end up from 1st to one of the last places

I know this is basically just Mario Kart as it was ever since, but why do they have to do it just so unfair in every installment (only speaking of 150cc)? Once I finished special cup nearly perfect as DK just to see Baby Mario passing by like a rocket (without a mushroom!) just a few meters before the finish line on Rainbow Road, round 3. 3 stars crushed, do it again x__x

I'm a pretty good MK player, knowing the kinks, turbos, driftings etc. therefore I'm usually way ahead of the rest of the field, but on 150cc it get's stopped by one or more of the methods described above, so skill may not my issue for sure. Opposing to the points mentioned above every 4th or 5th try of a 150cc cup I'll finish it like a breeze with every round way ahead of the rest of the drivers. Seems kind of random to me.

Just wanted to share this interested in how you're experiencing it, but rest assured, this is no rant or offense. I fucking love this gem and just can't stop to play! :)
I'd recommend you use lightweights on GP, and focus as much on acceleration as possible--the AI rubberbands like crazy, so your top speed does not matter. Even then, though, there's still going to be some luck involved. I got to the point where I could usually win, but I on multiple occasions had a blue shell screw me over right at the end of the 4th race.

Azure J

that DK race earlier was terrible
ibnszJuEisdGh5.gif

ibyfQMWkRdLzUi.gif

And people swear by this stage... The funny thing is, it's a very straightforward course, but the close quarters just leads to so many cluster fucks between items and stage hazards.

UnsungUncomfortableArcticwolf.gif

Not as close as it looked during the race but I love Daisy's look of disbelief when she gets bumped.

This is seriously one of the best gifs MK8 has produced. Can't believe Baby vs. Adult hasn't been a theme yet.

ok this hhma character needs to fix their internet or something cause they are just bouncing around every which way and will randomly appear in front of me

Question reagarding online? Does honking online do anything at all? I usually honk away at the beggining of the race so my local player will get mad due to getting shitted by lakitu...

But to be honest I never saw someone honk online other than myself?

Selfqoute due to question :p

In addition: I still got a hard time winning the 150cc cups but maybe i should switch over to the leightweights instead of DK...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Selfqoute due to question :p

In addition: I still got a hard time winning the 150cc cups but maybe i should switch over to the leightweights instead of DK...

Nope, nobody online can tell that you're honking.

And yeah, lightweights are the way to go in single player. I personally have had the easiest time I've ever had in 150/mirror, I 3 starred the whole game and only had to redo two cups in the process.

Nope, nobody online can tell that you're honking.

And yeah, lightweights are the way to go in single player. I personally have had the easiest time I've ever had in 150/mirror, I 3 starred the whole game and only had to redo two cups in the process.

Ok I will try that :-D

and BOO on no honking online :-( my friends and family hate it when I honk constantly when not holding an item :-D

Felensis

Banned
I'd recommend you use lightweights on GP, and focus as much on acceleration as possible--the AI rubberbands like crazy, so your top speed does not matter. Even then, though, there's still going to be some luck involved. I got to the point where I could usually win, but I on multiple occasions had a blue shell screw me over right at the end of the 4th race.

Thanks for the hint, I'll give it a try this evening with Shy Guy instead of DK :)

Wazzy

Banned
Been doing some online matches and god it's a mess lmao. So good.

I'm usually finishing third in most of my races ughhh

Top Bottom