• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

DooD1234

What's the MK8 code of online ethics? I saw someone say throwing a green shell backwards was trolling.

I think that's more like someone was really upset they got hit cuz it cost them the entire race or something near the finish line.

As far as I know, don't fire hop and don't leave the room before picking the track or you'll give everyone a comm. error.

Evo X

Hey guys, I picked up a Wii U with this game yesterday. Played 2 championships and had a blast.

I'd love some people to play multiplayer with, so please send me a friend request. My NNID is DemonFang343.

Thanks!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
What's the MK8 code of online ethics? I saw someone say throwing a green shell backwards was trolling.
If someone said that, they were probably joking around/in the heat of the moment. Throw green shells backward all you like.

Yeah, just don't fire-hop, and you're good. I'm not even sure this... v
don't leave the room before picking the track or you'll give everyone a comm. error.
...is even an issue anymore, since they limited the number of people in lobbies to 12. Now, pretty much all of the comm errors happen in the middle of a race rather than in the lobby, and are unrelated.

If someone said that, they were probably joking around/in the heat of the moment. Throw green shells backward all you like.

Yeah, just don't fire-hop, and you're good. I'm not even sure this... v

...is even an issue anymore, since they limited the number of people in lobbies to 12. Now, pretty much all of the comm errors happen in the middle of a race rather than in the lobby, and are unrelated.

Is fire hopping even an issue? Seems similar to momentum throttling in F-Zero GX.

Dr Prob

Banned
Firehopping isn't really that big of a deal, but it can make you significantly faster on parts of tracks. Just doesn't seem sporting to do it in the GAFDome where like 99% of the participants don't use it. For all the shit-talking and salt, feel like we're kinda playing just for fun, you know?

People who throw shit backwards at the finish line for no reason are a personal pet peeve, but that's just me and my ADVANCED CODE OF MARIO KART ETHICS. Don't think many people really care.

I'm fucking dying at that ending on dolphin shoals, hahaha. Unlucky prob.

Little late here, but yeah. An ignominious finish :D

Saturday's games: Greg wins! blame space drives into a bomb! We have a mystery driver! It's ffdgh!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Throwing stuff behind you at the finish line is hardwired into me from years of mario kart, I never cannot do it. Just think of the rage the poor Koopa that lost his shell would feel knowing it went to waste. Might as well redirect the hatred and ruin someone's race.

Robin64

Mario Kart 8 is one of the few games where I am happy to say that if the game lets you do it, it's fair game. Ethics be damned.

Greenymac

Firehopping isn't really that big of a deal, but it can make you significantly faster on parts of tracks. Just doesn't seem sporting to do it in the GAFDome where like 99% of the participants don't use it. For all the shit-talking and salt, feel like we're kinda playing just for fun, you know?

People who throw shit backwards at the finish line for no reason are a personal pet peeve, but that's just me and my ADVANCED CODE OF MARIO KART ETHICS. Don't think many people really care.

Saturday's games: Greg wins! blame space drives into a bomb! We have a mystery driver! It's ffdgh!

Yeah backspamming at finish line is noobish. Someone was doing it in GAF races yesterday.Shit needs to stop.

DooD1234

Wow, watching those race you put up made me feel better about myself playing. I can totally relate to a few of those moments.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is fire hopping even an issue? Seems similar to momentum throttling in F-Zero GX.

It's not nearly as bad as something like snaking, but look at it this way: let's say you and someone several kart lengths ahead of you just drifted around the final turn of Mario Kart Stadium. If you firehop and they don't, you will pass them with ease. Or if you've escaped from the pack and are out in first, firehopping can help you build an almost insurmountable lead.

Doing it in WW races where chances are high that others are isn't a big deal, but I wish it would stay out of GAF games since most people don't, especially since it's so blatant and everyone can see you not playing fairly anyway.

Guerrilla

So I caved and am finally completing my gaming family. (all consoles and pc yay)

I'm already pretty pumped, but is there a nice video to get me even more hyped for Mario Kart?

Dr Prob

Banned
So I caved and am finally completing my gaming family. (all consoles and pc yay)

I'm already pretty pumped, but is there a nice video to get me even more hyped for Mario Kart?

Don't ask how I stumbled upon this mix, but it's like maximum hype. Be careful with it.

Step 1: Open Cole's GBAMC run. Mute it.
Step 2: Open this.
Step 3: Go back to the first vid. FIRE.

Zemm

I think my main gripes with this game are: dragging weapons, the first corner being a clusterfuck and determining the outcome of your race 8/10 times, fire hopping, weight classes being unbalanced, shitty netcode, people getting hit but just keep on going (see shitty netcode), ricocheting shells and getting completely and utterly fucked up the ass on a corner making you sit there for like 5 seconds whilst you get hit by everything. Sometimes all of that will happen in a single race.

Sometimes I think the game is amazing, then other times I think like "how did you leave this in? This is a piece of shit". Love/hate man.

TheContact

Any way to increase sensitivity on tilt controls? My wife will only use tilt controls but she's having a harder time than she did in MK7, so she's putting all his stats into handling and it's making her slow

Berg

Any way to increase sensitivity on tilt controls? My wife will only use tilt controls but she's having a harder time than she did in MK7, so she's putting all his stats into handling and it's making her slow

Is she using gamepad tilt controls? I would suggest using a wiimote + wii wheel. I had some sensitivity issues when using the gamepad. maybe it's just so large, it's hard to really turn quick

Hmmmm I'll try that now

Fuck. Last one til gold tires and I'm stuck. Always get 1 second away from the target

6 fails in a row, fuck you dry dunes , the last one is really making me :/ time to zzzzzz
I really struggled with that one too. I think it's the only staff ghost (or one of the only ghosts) that has a time faster than the world average.

I was able to finally beat him by using the same kart setup as the ghost and taking the wooden bridge shortcut on all three laps. I think when I finally got it I beat the ghost by a lot of time too. Felt good.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wife convinced me to pull the trigger and get the MK8 bundle last night, got gold on all the cups on 100cc, now for 150cc. Game is tits, anyone feel free to add me.

NNID - Where_is_AA-Ron

I really struggled with that one too. I think it's the only staff ghost (or one of the only ghosts) that has a time faster than the world average.

I was able to finally beat him by using the same kart setup as the ghost and taking the wooden bridge shortcut on all three laps. I think when I finally got it I beat the ghost by a lot of time too. Felt good.

Yeah...take the wood bridge each lap and also make sure you land far enough back after the glider area so that you can take the final turns correctly. If you land too far forward it just messes you up too much (or at least it did for me)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fire...hopping?

Wut

Hop back and forth during a boost so you slow down more slowly. Basically makes the boost last longer.

I wouldn't mind it if it seemed like it was less unintentional, but maybe I just feel that way because I use inward drift vehicles that can't do it.

And nobody is in the GAF room, everyone is doing WW?

lordy88

Hey guys!

Just got a Wii U and Mario Kart 8, and I'm loving Kart a lot so far.

One thing bothered me, though. I noticed that I don't have lap times or total times after I complete races in Grand Prix. Is there a way to make these appear or are they simply stripped from Grand Prix?

Top Bottom